Which of these Subject Selections will be more accredited when applying for University?

Dear All,

I am currently In year 10 looking to undertake the IB program in Years 11 and 12.

I have the choice of these two selections:

HL English 

HL Economics 

HL Chemistry 

HL Biology 

SL Chinese 

SL Maths 

(Planning on staring with 4HL subjects then potentially dropping one down)

OR

HL English 

HL Economics 

HL Chemistry 

SL Maths 

SL French 

SL Chinese 

In my most recent school report I received all A's for my subjects and my highest A's were in Science and the languages. 

Questions:

I am currently wondering which of these selections would be the best in terms of getting into Medicine: HL Chemistry, HL Biology and one language, or HL Chemistry and 2 languages. 

Furthermore, how difficult is it to balance 2 languages in the IB, as well as HL Chemistry? I am starting to do IB assessments as extra work in my Year 10 classes and feel equally comfortable with both of them.

Thanks

Edited by lmaoslastdancer

If you're planning on getting into medicine then the HL Chem, HL Bio and one language option would be better.

I personally do not do two foreign languages so I can't really help you with that so all I can say is that HL Chemistry is no joke no matter what other subjects you are taking.

Another thing there is no need to take 4 HLs and it gives you no advantage whatsoever, so I highly recommend not doing that in the long term.

Congrats on all the As btw :)

• Like 1

In terms of 4HL subjects, I would experiment with this for approximately 7-8 weeks, then decide to drop one down. I plan on dropping down one of the sciences, whether it be Biology or Chemistry, whichever I find the most difficult to maintain. 

After talking to the schools IB coordinator and numerous teachers, I will probably be dropping down HL Chemistry, as in Australia, requirements for medicine are only SL Chemistry (no second science required but it is helpful). 

Just wondering if you have had any experience dealing with HL Chemistry or HL Biology, and how you've found both.

Good luck on your future exams