Which computer to buy?

Jess Carter

Depends on your budget. I'd say go with something that will last you for later as well, don't just go to the store and buy the cheapest PC there is. I bought a Macbook last year, and although it is pricey, it lasts and is really reliable. My PC (which I keep in my desk drawer only when I need to use IB questionbanks) frequently freezes, it's laggy, and often has crashed and deleted my lab reports with it. 

Just do a little bit of research online and see which one suits you the best. 

Edited by kanda_sorata

Depends on your budget and current "ecosystem". If you use mostly apple products, it might be wise to get a Mac. 

I personally am using a MacBook Pro, and so are most of my classmates. It's quite portable and powerful, and whilst it is expensive I think it's quite future-proof and I'll be taking it to uni for sure. 

If you have a lower budget or dislike Macs in general, I suggest Dell XPS 13 (or 15). Great windows laptops, and have a great built quality. 

I'd think that you have a huge array of options if you are going for windows. Prominent brands include samsung, hp, dell, asus, lenovo, etc. However, as mac117 said, if you are used to mac, it would be good to buy a mac. I personally prefer windows as I'm a bit unfamiliar with mac. Beside the usual nitty-gitties, do take a look at what screen size you want the laptop to be.

Edited by fromsomewhere2k17

Like many others here, I am using a Mac (MacBook Air specifically, as it is very light and we have to bring our computers with us every day). I love love love it. I switched to a mac this year and I never want to switch back. It was very costly, but I think it's a nice investment and it makes my studying time/essay writing a much more pleasurable and smooth process! 

• Like 1