International Student Exchange Program??

nwvmp

Hello! 

So, I know it's probably too early to be thinking about this (considering I haven't even started High School yet) but I want to participate in an international student exchange program in  Grade 10. I would be more interested in applying in Grade 9, but you must be 15 and up. 

I searched for a topic containing something related to a student exchange program on the forum and couldn't find anything, so I'm guessing this isn't too popular with IB students.  

I'm going to start Grade 9 in a couple of months and have been accepted and enrolled in a Pre-IB/MYP program for both Grade 9 and 10. If I survive, I'll be enrolled in the real IB Program in Grades 11 and 12 and the only reason I'm not even considering studying abroad during those two years is because I know I won't be able to miss a semester of school. In other words, Grades 11 and 12 are out of question for me. 

I really want to study abroad in Japan for the first school semester (in Japan). It will most likely be from March - August, but I'm not sure as programs for 2019 aren't available yet. The other option is August - February, but I would like to spend the holidays with my family. In case you don't know what an international student exchange program is, allow me to tell you.

Basically, it's when you apply to an organization of your choice to study abroad somewhere (internationally) for a certain amount of time. Its main purpose is cultural enrichment, immersion and foreign language enhancement. The program duration can vary from 4-10 months.The organization provides you with a certified host family, school enrollment, and takes care of the airfare stuff. Different organizations provide different additional things but the ones listed previously are the main things offered. In terms of the school stuff, I'm not sure about classes and grades (I should really look into that) but I don't think they officially grade you if you only attend for one semester. I have also heard that most classes will be in English, but some will be in Japanese; the numbers depend on how well you speak the language.

But you must apply for your selected program (ex. one school semester in Japan; March - August). I think the application process takes approx. 5 months at the max. The organization I am interested in (AFS) evaluates you based on an interview with a representative. If you are accepted, then you're good to go! 

**EDIT** I think I can also transfer to a school offering the MYP/Pre-IB program upon request. I believe that would be a wiser option. Opinions?

My 2 main questions are:

- Should I go? will it be unwise to miss a little less than half a year of the Pre-IB program? (Grade 10 btw)

- Have any of you ever done this before?

Any type of suggestions, opinions or advice will be greatly appreciated :) Thanks!! 

Edited by nwvmp

I am currently on a scholarship in Singapore. I used to study with the Indonesian curriculum in Indonesia. 

Personally, if I was told I would be missing a little less than half a year would be fine. But, will you be missing important information in class? Will you be able to catch up?

Hi! 

I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but although you don't want to miss your family I would seriously consider going abroad in the summer between IB1 and IB2 (year 11 and year 12). I did this and it was one of the best and most rewarding experiences of my life. It would be especially useful if you are taking Japanese as your second language in the IB program.

Due to a range of reasons I missed some really important stuff in year 10 and suffered greatly for it, especially going straight into the IB program. However, through much struggle I made it up in IB1 and going on exchange barely affected me as I was able to do homework overseas.

Going on exchange has given me such an advantage in my language skills, and although I missed my family, I skyped them at Christmas and it was like they were there with me.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

15 hours ago, CheerfulCactus said:

Hi! 

I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but although you don't want to miss your family I would seriously consider going abroad in the summer between IB1 and IB2 (year 11 and year 12). I did this and it was one of the best and most rewarding experiences of my life. It would be especially useful if you are taking Japanese as your second language in the IB program.

Due to a range of reasons I missed some really important stuff in year 10 and suffered greatly for it, especially going straight into the IB program. However, through much struggle I made it up in IB1 and going on exchange barely affected me as I was able to do homework overseas.

Going on exchange has given me such an advantage in my language skills, and although I missed my family, I skyped them at Christmas and it was like they were there with me.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

I confess I never went on exchange, but I don't know if I would like this idea. Many students work on their Extended Essay in the summer between IB1 and IB2, and being abroad could mean less emotional support as well as an already challenging change in environment. Your school also might give you summer work in some subjects so that could add to stress. For us, missing grade 10 didn't mean much. It depends if your program is just Pre-IB or an actual MYP program, because if it is MYP then you should either check with your school and make sure it's okay for you to not do it and then do the DP (honestly the DP is really what matters) or try to transfer to an MYP school. If it's just Pre-IB, then you should be okay.