Hi guys, 

These are some very useful tools for learning a language. They provide you with all sorts of help related to translation (obv ^_^)  proof reading, grammar, examples, and usages. 

- www.Wordreference.com as many of you may know is a dictionary for many languages and often gives you a few example sentences and basic facts (masc. feminine, noun, etc.)

- www.linguee.com is a great website if you come across a word and want to find other forms it's used in. It basically finds real-life websites/articles/etc. that use a word in 2 languages (e.g. English and French) It also has a basic dictionary and works in many languages.

- www.Bonpatron.com is great for proof-reading your work, it checks your grammar, articles at the beginning of a noun, etc. However, it's only limited to French

- www.conjugation-fr.com is great for conjugating a verb in French. It provides dozens of various tenses (some of which are literary-level). It's an all tenses in 1 place.

Hope it helps :) 

• Like 2

I'll also add that Wordreference's forums are very good. Lots of native speakers of all languages who clearly explain concepts and give opinions on what sounds idiomatic. I also think that listening to podcasts from iTunes (or whatever app store for your phone) in the target language is the best way to get better quickly.

For Spanish learners, Radio Ambulante (now part of NPR) is the amazing. Not only will it help with Spanish, but the stories are always interesting if not amazing.

On 05/05/2017 at 6:57 AM, Nomenclature said:

I'll also add that Wordreference's forums are very good. Lots of native speakers of all languages who clearly explain concepts and give opinions on what sounds idiomatic. I also think that listening to podcasts from iTunes (or whatever app store for your phone) in the target language is the best way to get better quickly.

For Spanish learners, Radio Ambulante (now part of NPR) is the amazing. Not only will it help with Spanish, but the stories are always interesting if not amazing.

Oh yes - forgot to mention it! The forums help you out if the definitions fail you :) 

And music from native speakers of the language is a great way to improve vocabulary, pronunciation, AND you receive cultural immersion which the IB loves!