P3 HL BIOLOGY

Win yourself!

16 minutes ago, ls78 said:

I found paper 3 quite pleasant, actually. I picked option B, how about you?

That's good for you!!!

I studied option D (human physiology) well, it wasn't very easy! There were some tricky questions, as well as others referring to some unimportant parts of the option... parts that our teachers haven't told us to focus on.... But I hope in a decent final mark....

Do you think they will lower the boundaries due to P1 and P2?? (Hope soooo) 

On 5/8/2017 at 0:43 AM, Win yourself! said:

That's good for you!!!

I studied option D (human physiology) well, it wasn't very easy! There were some tricky questions, as well as others referring to some unimportant parts of the option... parts that our teachers haven't told us to focus on.... But I hope in a decent final mark....

Also did Option D – felt really good about Section A and the Paper 3 in general. Think this paper's meant to make up for lower boundaries on P1 (and perhaps P2). 

The hormones & receptors 6-mark question was also unexpected and I think for 5-6 marks not only do you need to describe the mechanism of Steroid and Peptide hormones, but refer to the distinctions in their respective receptors and how that relates to their specific function. Personally talked about how the locations of the receptors accommodate for the different solubilities of steroid and peptide hormones and such, but couldn't figure out anything else to talk about. 

There was a generally good range of questions covering most of the topics in the Option syllabus. Honestly was expecting a bit more on nutrition and diet, but in retrospect they have never tested knowledge on determining the energy content of food, so I guess that's the nutrition component. The mechanism of cholera was something I literally just reviewed the morning before the P3 so glad it came up XD 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2017 at 9:43 PM, Win yourself! said:

That's good for you!!!

I really hope that the grade boundaries will be lower due to paper 1!!

PS. although I felt like I did well on paper 2, I don't mind if they lower the boundaries too 😂

23 minutes ago, ls78 said:

PS. although I felt like I did well on paper 2, I don't mind if they lower the boundaries too 😂

The thing is, P1 is weighted less than P3 (20% vs 24% for HL) so if P1 boundary goes down but P3 boundary goes up, more likely than not the boundary will stay the same. Based on analysis of difficulty and boundaries of M16 and N16 Biology, below are my predictions for the level-7 boundaries for May 2017 Biology TZ2:

Paper 1: 32-33/40

Paper 2: 53-54/72

Paper 3: 37/45

Overall: 7 = 77-78/100

The problem is that in Nov 2016, the boundary for Paper 2 was 53/72, but I found it so much more easy compared to the P2 we got in terms of the data-based question, the extended-response questions, and pretty much everything. Supposedly then, as (in my opinion) the P2 for M17 TZ2 was much harder than N16, the boundary for it should go below 53/72, however I doubt this will happen as that will be reaching unprecedented low boundaries for P2 and surprisingly more than a few people I know said it was manageable. Therefore, P2 boundary will more likely stay the same, or even increase if a lot of people actually did well on it.

The highest boundary P3 has ever been for the new syllabus is 36/45 for a 7, and with the ease of our P3, I'm predicting it to rise to 37/45 to counter the reduction in P1 boundaries – P1 boundary for a 7 would fall to 32-33/40 from 34/40 in M16 and 35/40 in N16 given its difficulty.

The only way the overall boundary for a 7 to be 77/100 is if the following boundaries are met (approximately):

P1: 33/40

P2: 53/72

P3: 37/45

But I doubt the overall boundary for a 7 would fall below a 77/100, as it was 78/100 for both M16 and N16. Could be wrong, though I think this prediction is appropriate taking into account everyone's comments and feedback, as well as personal experience with the papers and those of past years. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ls78 said:

But I hope they lower them significantly, not just one mark....

Thank God we have our IA's:lol: They may save us!!!!(Y)

On May 9, 2017 at 4:40 PM, IB`NOT`ez said:

Also did Option D – felt really good about Section A and the Paper 3 in general. Think this paper's meant to make up for lower boundaries on P1 (and perhaps P2). 

The hormones & receptors 6-mark question was also unexpected and I think for 5-6 marks not only do you need to describe the mechanism of Steroid and Peptide hormones, but refer to the distinctions in their respective receptors and how that relates to their specific function. Personally talked about how the locations of the receptors accommodate for the different solubilities of steroid and peptide hormones and such, but couldn't figure out anything else to talk about. 

There was a generally good range of questions covering most of the topics in the Option syllabus. Honestly was expecting a bit more on nutrition and diet, but in retrospect they have never tested knowledge on determining the energy content of food, so I guess that's the nutrition component. The mechanism of cholera was something I literally just reviewed the morning before the P3 so glad it came up XD 

xoxoxo you were very lucky my friend!!!!! Our teacher hasn't fully explained us, the mechanism of Hormones, so I created the answer during the exam period....:gbye:  If I get a 3/6 I will be thankful :) 

I just found this post! It is about Bio HL and the lowering of grade boundaries. It would be really helpful if you signed up and shared it!(Y)

https://www.change.org/p/ib-org-ib-biology-hl-may-2017?recruiter=315504615&utm_source=petitions_show_components_action_panel_wrapper&utm_medium=copylinkhttps://www.change.org/p/ib-org-ib-biology-hl-may-2017?

1 hour ago, Win yourself! said:

I just found this post! It is about Bio HL and the lowering of grade boundaries. It would be really helpful if you signed up and shared it!(Y)

https://www.change.org/p/ib-org-ib-biology-hl-may-2017?recruiter=315504615&utm_source=petitions_show_components_action_panel_wrapper&utm_medium=copylinkhttps://www.change.org/p/ib-org-ib-biology-hl-may-2017?

Okay well, before jumping too quickly on the petition, it might be better discussing it for the moment.

I think in general the petition is vague. Is it referring to TZ1 or TZ2, or both? From what I've heard, both timezones had it rough, but without proper specification in the petition, there's little in which the IBO can actually enact a beneficial change for future exam sessions apart from the lowering of grade boundaries, which is just self-service.

Secondly, as a TZ2 Bio HL exam taker, my opinion and that of others on the Reddit discussion thread is that Paper 1 was the real challenge of the exam – an idea not properly expressed in the petition. Whilst mention was made that all the papers were hard, "especially paper 1", without citation of the specific examples that made it hard e.g. unprecedented number of skills, application, and too much analysis unlike any paper in the past – it's rather difficult for the IBO make the necessary change if we don't pinpoint to them the exact issue. Although Paper 2 was also difficult due to the complexity of the data-based question – turtles for TZ1 and auxin plants for TZ2 – I'm not fully convinced that it demands petitioning, but would be happy to hear of a different opinion.

Thirdly, I disagree with this statement: "all three papers consisted of a greater difficulty index than past exams". I, my peers in both my school and other schools, as well as what seemed to be the general sentiment on the Reddit P3 Discussion were of the mind that P3 was the easiest of the three papers, and was not of a high level of difficulty at all. It's not an unusual tactic for the IBO to make 2 difficult papers and the third a relatively easier one, or vice versa, in order to achieve the same overall grade boundary (though boundaries for the specific components would obviously differ). Though I could be wrong, my opinion is that P1 and P2 were intentionally made to be difficult, whereas P3 was intentionally made to be easy, so that the overall grade boundary would average out to be the same or similar as in previous years. Grade boundaries for P1 and P2 would likely go down in comparison to M16 or N16, whereas boundary for P3 would go up. This is supported by several comments made by my peers at other schools, as well as on Reddit's P3 discussion that Option C in TZ2 P3 was reportedly so easy that it seemed a good proportion of people having prepared for other Options simply chose to do Option C since it only demanded rudimentary skills and background knowledge. Compounded on the fact that P3 Section A had simple memory recall questions as opposed to heavy application-based questions in the past and you've got yourself quite an easy paper, relatively.

Overall, I'm not wholly convinced of the need for the petition. If people found it difficult overall, which people definitely have, their performances will speak for themselves and the IBO will lower the grade boundaries regardless of a petition. I'm happy to discuss opposing arguments but right now I don't see clear justification to the petition as I've outlined above. 

• Like 2