I am native English speaker and spanish, can I take Spanish AB

Im a native Spanish speaker because I am half Mexican, but I am also a native English Speaker because I am half English as well. My IB coordinator says that I cannot take Spanish AB because I am a native Spanish speaker, but I have an English passport. Should I not be able to take Spanish AB? 

I can also say that I am just a native English speaker, because I have lived more in England than I have in Mexico.

I dont think my IB coordinator knows what he is talking about, as it is his first year. 

I don't see the reason of why not letting you taking Spanish Ab. My friend who is a native Chinese speaker took Mandarin Ab in his IB years. 

Maybe your coordinator wanted you to take up some challenge, you should discuss with him about your subject choices. 

Some schools just don't allow their students to take one of their native languages at ab initio or SL. It's just a thing that some schools have and others don't.

Edited by Guest

19 hours ago, apoello said:

Some schools just don't allow their students to take one of their native languages at ab initio or SL. It's just a thing that some schools have and others don't.

The thing is, I dont want to take Spanish AB at all. But we are 7 months into the IB programme, and my IB coordinator has not ordered any of the books that I am to read throughout the IB, I had to choose 10 books if I'm not mistaking, and I havent started reading any of them. Because my IB coordinator has not done anything with the self taught students. 

I would not be switching because of the grade, but because I do not have the time to catch up on all the self taught that I havent done, because I havent gotten any guidance. Now I cannot really go and tell my IB coordinator that he is doing a **** job, how can I tell him I want to switch, and display why, without being a ****** to the guy.

46 minutes ago, Sondre Brubakken said:

The thing is, I dont want to take Spanish AB at all. But we are 7 months into the IB programme, and my IB coordinator has not ordered any of the books that I am to read throughout the IB, I had to choose 10 books if I'm not mistaking, and I havent started reading any of them. Because my IB coordinator has not done anything with the self taught students. 

I would not be switching because of the grade, but because I do not have the time to catch up on all the self taught that I havent done, because I havent gotten any guidance. Now I cannot really go and tell my IB coordinator that he is doing a **** job, how can I tell him I want to switch, and display why, without being a ****** to the guy.

That's a lot of swearing right there. Maybe it's because you are very stressful. 

If you really want more guidance on how to start on the 10 books, you still have time. Do meet up 1 to 1 with your coordinator (or Spanish teacher?) and tell him/her problems in your Spanish AB class, or even if you want to impress him/her, bring 1-2 books to suggest to him/her to get your reading started asap! I am sure your teacher has the responsibility to teach you how to prepare for the exam.