Danish B EE on old norwegian author

Matsbrubakken

Hello,

I really want to write my EE on Henrik Ibsen's A Dolls House, however it is a Norwegian author and I've been told that the author has to be a native speaker of the language in your EE. But since Henrik Ibsen is from "Old Norway" the text its practically danish. In my opinion it is like writing an EE on a text written by a British author compared to an American.

Can I write my Danish B EE on an old Norwegian authors text?

I would recommend you to ask a teacher or look in the guide. "A Doll's House" is written in Danish, yes, but Ibsen did use words and expressions that were more adapted to spoken Norwegian in some of his other works. I think the IB would care a lot about the nationality of the author in such a context though, would therefore not really recommend choosing Ibsen (even if he did live a lot abroad). To be safe, I'd go with a Danish author instead. Ask your coordinator/ teacher they would know best. 

Realise that this wasn't that helpful...but hope it maybe was a bit useful (?) 

• 3 weeks later...

I´ve chosen a danish author (Herman Bang - Ved Vejen), however I would like to include a new perspective in my EE. Meaning that I want to compare and contrast Et dukke hjem and ved vejen to see the differences in the same time period from two different authors. Would it be allowed if i set my main focus to be ved vejen?

I know, at least in Languge (Norwegian for me) A Literature, you are allowed to compare a native work with a translated work, and you are - at least in my school - allowed to do your EE in a subject you do not study (although it is not recommended). Ask your teacher if he or she would be okay with supervising you while doing your EE in Danish A Literature, and then do it on "Ved vejen" and "Et dukkehjem".

• 6 months later...
On 4/28/2017 at 9:41 AM, tepp said:

I know, at least in Languge (Norwegian for me) A Literature, you are allowed to compare a native work with a translated work, and you are - at least in my school - allowed to do your EE in a subject you do not study (although it is not recommended). Ask your teacher if he or she would be okay with supervising you while doing your EE in Danish A Literature, and then do it on "Ved vejen" and "Et dukkehjem".

Very late answer, but I don't think this would be possible, seeing as A Doll's House (Et dukkehjem) is technically in Danish, and therefore not a translated work?