Is correlation enough for Maths SL IA? "Correlation between MBTI and genetic inheritance"

LittleDeer

I'm doing my IA on the correlation between MBTI and genetic inheritance, which simply saying about inheriting personality traits, but I'm not sure if it's enough for SL though. My teacher said that if I use sth from math studies IB will like it, cuz it's from different level, so i joined their lessons to learn sth we didn't from statistics, but i've just read somewhere on this forum that correlation is not enough for SL. Is it so? If yes, what could I possibly add or change not to score badly? I've just started my experiment, which you can take part in btw (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc5kBERe3yBDE5TUlfjVenmXL3pO_JyQlSJcCLXQZ25HP5-sQ/viewform?c=0&w=1), so i wouldn't like to change my whole topic :( Do you have any advice?

First of all, how exactly would you do the correlation? In order to do a correlation, you need numerical values for both the x- and y- variables. Based on your survey, I don't see how you can do a correlation (or linear regression). The only thing I can think of is the chi-square test of independence. But even then, you need to think about how you're going to apply it.

• 5 years later...
On 2/23/2017 at 10:14 AM, IB Math Helper said:

First of all, how exactly would you do the correlation? In order to do a correlation, you need numerical values for both the x- and y- variables. Based on your survey, I don't see how you can do a correlation (or linear regression). The only thing I can think of is the chi-square test of independence. But even then, you need to think about how you're going to apply it.

How would you use the chi-square test of independence for this IA?