SHALL I TAKE COMPUTER SCIENCE FOR DP??

simon11909

Hi guys

So I'm currently applying for DP course next year, and really indecisive whether to choose chemistry SL or computer science SL. In the future I planned to study computer science major. So is chemistry a prerequisite course for university computer science major? I know chemistry is a core subject but I just hate it so much, instead so passionate and willing to study computer science. So long story shorts, shall I go with computer science SL or chemistry SL for my next DP year?

my current course choices:

Math HL

Econ HL

Physics HL(our school dont offer comp sci HL)

Chemistry SL/Computer science SL

Mandarin SL

English SL

much thanks!!

Just now, Recycle Bin said:

I have hardly seen a Chemistry requirement for Computer Science courses, where do you want to go? I think it's completely fine to take Computer Science instead of Chemistry because you're taking both Maths and Physics at HL (that's what they need the most!).

Im planning to go to mainly the universities in the US and Canada, do they usually require chemistry for CS major?

2 minutes ago, simon11909 said:

Im planning to go to mainly the universities in the US and Canada, do they usually require chemistry for CS major?

Sorry, but I honestly don't know. I've only been looking at UK universities and not one requires Chemistry (they just require Physics and Maths at HL level), so I don't see why US/Canadian universities would require it. I'm sure there are thousands of IB students applying to US/Canada universities who can answer for you instead. :P

13 hours ago, simon11909 said:

No, chemistry isn't an important/required class if you're looking to be a comp sci major. They require lots of math though, so i think you should take the computer science class instead of the chem one

Edited by abi123