IB certificate for Canadian University?

lins

Hello, I am in 12 grade at an international school. I am a diploma student but am extremely worried about passing the diploma. The school I go to is located on a small island and only offers the IB program. It's very weird because the school offered one AP course in 10th grade (Spanish). My school is an American school and we have been taught the American system. In 11th grade, we suddenly changed to the IB curriculum and it was a big jump because we were never prepared for it. It was a big change and we couldn't catch up with classes such as math, chem, and physics (mainly because we had teachers that didn't prepare us well and we never did precalculus and jumped to calculus directly from algebra II). I take HL math, psychology  online, and history and SL spanish B, English Lit, and chemistry. I deeply regret taking HL math because it's hard and the highest grade that someone has ever gotten at our school is a level 4 HL math. I'm also kinda worried about psychology because online is hard.... But I have gotten an acceptance from Trent University and University of Windsor. Windsor requires me to have my diploma and Trent requires an 80% average in my final transcript. 

I am extremely scared of not passing my diploma. Do Canadian Universities accept IB certificate? Someone please help? 

The other situation is similar to mine. My friend is doing the diploma, but she is scared of not passing HL physics (the 3 HL kids got no higher than a level 3 for their midterm which was an IB paper 1 and 2). She has applied for Waterloo, Victoria, Ottawa, and Trent. Do any of these schools accept the IB certificate? 

• Like 1

Canadian unis do accept certificates from IB (it's really common in Canada to take certificate instead of diploma) but if you already got offers, you should probably call the universities directly to see if they will accept it in your specific scenario.

What might be a bigger issue would be your individual scores. If a prerequisite subject falls below the minimum allowed score for that uni, they may revoke an offer. 

Good luck and try to finish strong!

1 minute ago, VeronicaG said:

Canadian unis do accept certificates from IB (it's really common in Canada to take certificate instead of diploma) but if you already got offers, you should probably call the universities directly to see if they will accept it in your specific scenario.

What might be a bigger issue would be your individual scores. If a prerequisite subject falls below the minimum allowed score for that uni, they may revoke an offer. 

Good luck and try to finish strong!

Hi, thank you for answering. I applied for the criminology program at Windsor and I seriously want to go. I have emailed the school my situation but they kept saying I need to pass my diploma with 24 points or else they'll rescind my offer. The prerequisite requirement for criminology program is to have English 12. I am so stressed these days and I think I might just accept Trent's offer and maybe transfer after the first year.... 

Thank you

In that case you probably do need to get the diploma. I guess if you applied as a diploma candidate, they expect you to finish as one. I'm sure you can get the diploma, you still have a few months before exams.

What's good is that both universities are very easy to transfer to. If you do decide to go to Trent (which is still a good school), all you need to do is basically pass first year in order to get a transfer to Windsor

3 minutes ago, VeronicaG said:

In that case you probably do need to get the diploma. I guess if you applied as a diploma candidate, they expect you to finish as one. I'm sure you can get the diploma, you still have a few months before exams.

What's good is that both universities are very easy to transfer to. If you do decide to go to Trent (which is still a good school), all you need to do is basically pass first year in order to get a transfer to Windsor

TT_TT cries. The teacher predicted no higher than a level 3 for me for HL math.... Technically screwed.... I was so worried I can't transfer from Trent because my uncle told me it'll be harder to transfer since Trent does not have a good reputation.... Very confused because through the OUAC, they only give you an option that says International Baccalaureate, so do universities usually think that all students that apply as IB are doing the diploma?

Thank you so much for you answer :)

A 3 is still a pass in IB. I think you need more than 12 points cumulative from your HL subjects to get the diploma? The info is available somewhere on this site.

The reputations of both Trent and Windsor are equal. One isn't better than the other since both are accredited universities in Canada. Transferring will likely not be a problem.

And for your last question, I don't believe certificate kids apply as IB, at least the certificate kids in my school didn't. The 101 (domestic) OUAC form had an option for IB certificate, but I guess the 105 forms didn't.

10 minutes ago, VeronicaG said:

A 3 is still a pass in IB. I think you need more than 12 points cumulative from your HL subjects to get the diploma? The info is available somewhere on this site.

The reputations of both Trent and Windsor are equal. One isn't better than the other since both are accredited universities in Canada. Transferring will likely not be a problem.

And for your last question, I don't believe certificate kids apply as IB, at least the certificate kids in my school didn't. The 101 (domestic) OUAC form had an option for IB certificate, but I guess the 105 forms didn't.

Yes a level 3 is still a passing.... But he told my friend and I, the only two HL math kids, that the max we'll achieve is a level 3. Right now I am studying real hard to achieve a level 5 in HL history but my teacher is kind of unreliable.... (He didn't even know the curriculum changed until January so the entire class is rewriting the IA...) I seriously don't know what to do so I'll accept Trent's offer and achieve a 80% average (which is no problem) and work hard to transfer :).

Hoping for the best :) Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2017 at 1:18 AM, lins said:

Yes a level 3 is still a passing.... But he told my friend and I, the only two HL math kids, that the max we'll achieve is a level 3. Right now I am studying real hard to achieve a level 5 in HL history but my teacher is kind of unreliable.... (He didn't even know the curriculum changed until January so the entire class is rewriting the IA...) I seriously don't know what to do so I'll accept Trent's offer and achieve a 80% average (which is no problem) and work hard to transfer :).

Hoping for the best :) Thank you

While I may not be able to help you much with HL math directly, I would recommend that you stop relying on your teachers and learn the content yourself. I would recommend Khan Academy to anyone struggling with math as it is free and very easy to understand. It might also be helpful to do past papers for HL math. Remember that math is just about practice so whatever you do by yourself will likely increase your chances of a higher grade. But, above all, good luck.

• 2 years later...

IB Schools of Ontario IBO actually has super favourable conversions from IB to Ontario marks. (See chart below or google) I go to a school in Ontario and am in the Diploma Programme, but all of our IB marks get converted over to Ontario marks for our OSSD. Given this, you would only have to get a 4 or 5 to get above an 80, however I'm not sure of the specific of your situation(i.e. whether they would convert the marks for you). Chances are they will, as Wisdor/Trent almost definitely gets many IB Diploma conversions. We're also told as a general rule that in Ontario, universities will look at whichever marks are better, whether they be IB marks or Ontario percentages. 

FOR ALL ASSIGNMENTS ON 25

Grade (on 25)

Level (1-7)

Ontario grade range

22-25

97-100

19-21

93-96

16-18

84-92

12-15

72-83

8-11

61-71

4-7

50-60

0-3

Failing grade

Edited by alex26

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I am a student of Cathedral Vidiya School in Mumbai. I had scored 23 IB grades in 11th grade. I hoped to score more in the finals but since the 2020 May exams have been canceled, I  do not know what to do. I can't even ask for my predictive grades as some teachers are partial and will give me even lower. This has happened to some of my friends and they got rejected.  I have applied in Windsor, Trent and Brock and my counsellor is afraid  to upload my 11th Mark sheet as she fears I might get rejected. Our school had told us to leave our Internal Assessments a side and work for the finals. They had even taken away our laptops and we literally sneaked in our phones and worked on it. My counsellor is waiting for the final results and I am 60% sure I won't get a diploma. I am extremely worried. Please help me what shall I do in such a  scenario. I am not able to withstand so much pressure. All my friends have surpassed me and my parents are criticizing me for this.  My future has just fallen in front of my eyes just because of partiality of some illiterate teachers who were't qualified enough to help us with our TOK essay and CAS. I am ready to do any type of Hard work in Canada as its my dream to live there. Please help me

Edited by Zuhair
  • Sad 1