Hey guys,

I am finishing IB this May and was wondering what are the initial procedures needed to apply though UAC, e.g my year 12 number etc? I've never heard of this and my uni counsellor is useless as she told me that I have to do it alone once I graduate from school as we are no longer their 'responsibility"... Please any help will be much appreciated..

Thank you !

I see you're in Greece, so you're applying as a non-Australian citizen, I assume?

When I applied this year, my Year 12 number was my IB session number, which is the one you write on top of all the exams.  Either that, or it was the personal code (abc123 format), I don't remember, sorry.  It's one of those two, anyway.

Your UAC pin is just your birthday: ddmm.  So if your birthday is 12 July, it'd be 1207.

What will follow is a pretty linear form to fill out, with a lot of useless detail that I'm sure they don't need, but ask for anyway.  It's mostly straightforward from there.  When you're filling out the higher education system, I didn't add IB as a secondary qualification, instead made it my principal year 12 qualification.  That worked fine for me.  If you're also doing local exams in Greece, decide which one is your "principal" (I assume IB), and then add the other one as well as your "secondary".  This makes more sense once you get to that section of the form!

If you're not an Australian resident, you'll probably need to provide visa details of some description, so have your passport handy.

Feel free to ask more questions :)

Edited by azara
apparently have not yet learned the months of the year correctly
  • Like 1

Hey Thanks for the reply!

Im giving my IB exams in Indonesia, however I am an Australian citizen. Since my principal qualification is IB do I enter the grades I got or do I provide them with any documentation? I also did IGCSE if that counts for anything (secondary?) I would also like to ask when does the UAC application usually open?.. is it during September or do I have to wait for all the Australian students to obtain their year 12 certificate results?

Thanks again :) 

14 minutes ago, IBStudent98 said:

Hey Thanks for the reply!

Im giving my IB exams in Indonesia, however I am an Australian citizen. Since my principal qualification is IB do I enter the grades I got or do I provide them with any documentation? I also did IGCSE if that counts for anything (secondary?) I would also like to ask when does the UAC application usually open?.. is it during September or do I have to wait for all the Australian students to obtain their year 12 certificate results?

Thanks again :) 

No problem :)

You'll need to arrange for the IB to send a transcript of your results to UAC.  The IBO will send your results free of charge to six tertiary institutions; your school probably have a specific six programmed in for all its students.  To find out what they are, go to candidates.ibo.org website and select "transcripts".  If UAC is not one of those six, you'll have to go to the coordinator and ask for one of the six to be swapped out for UAC.  More information: http://www.ibo.org/en/programmes/diploma-programme/assessment-and-exams/requesting-transcripts/

Since I assume you'll already have your results by the time you apply, I'm not sure whether you can put the grades in yourself.  I'm pretty sure the IB can just send them in July and UAC will hold on to them for you.  Might be worth a phone call.

Enter your IGCSEs as your secondary qualification.  For this, you will probably need to provide documentation.  A scan of the official results page should be fine, but check the guidelines, which will be available on the UAC website.

UAC opens in September and closes in October.  DO NOT wait until the last week or two, as the website is usually very slow by that time because everyone else has waited until the last minute, too.

Wow! 

Thanks for all the information!! You are honestly more helpful than one of our uni counsellors at school.. She has no idea about australian applications and what she told me was to read up on it alone and do it myself.. About applying to universities and specific courses, since the IB is highly regraded compared to like HSC, will I have a better chance of getting in if I meet the Uni's IB requirement or even go above it?

Thanks 

I'm glad to be of help, I've just applied through UAC so I know most of the ins and outs.  It can be pretty complicated, especially if the school won't help you, which is pretty bad of them :/

Your chance of getting in is very dependent on the course you want to do.  Google "IB to ATAR" to see the official conversion.  Most university websites also list their guaranteed entry in IB marks, but if they don't, the conversion table should help you out.  For the majority of courses, that entry grade will 100% secure you a place in the course.  For medicine and law, you may have to do additional tests as they're very competitive.  You need basically 42+ to get in.  Also, research the UMAT and LNAT if you want to do medicine or law as you'll have to work out how to sit them.

Be aware that many Australian unis will offer "bonus points", which are added to your ATAR.  They're for things like music and doing well in certain subjects, as well as for disadvantaged students.  Each uni does this differently, and some don't do it at all, so you'll have to look it up.

What universities are you thinking of? I'm very familiar with Sydney Uni and ANU in Canberra, if you want more specific advice.

Don't worry about the IB certificate, I don't think it means anything to UAC.  Just the transcript should be fine.

• Like 1

Well, Im thinking of applying to ANU as my first choice in either commerce, international business or law. However law asks for 40 points but does not mention any additional tests. My second choice would be Sydney Uni, then Melbourne, UNSW. I know Melbourne is with VTAC but if I get into ANU then ill go there. The other thing is that on the UAC website, when you press apply, it says if your a year 12 student and to tick a box yes or no. Technically I am a year 12 student but I've done my high school and IB outside Australia so would I put no for that one? I don't think the bonus points apply to us who have done IB though, am I right?

Cool, I'm actually going to ANU in just over a week! ANU requires no extra tests for law, though the grades required are of course quite high.  Sydney and UNSW have even higher boundaries, though...

What exactly does the wording of the box say? If it says "Australian Year 12", hit no, but if it just says "year 12", I'd say yes.  Unless, of course, you've already done your exams and completely left school, at which point it's a no.

For ANU, bonus points do apply to IB students.  Here you go: http://www.anu.edu.au/study/apply/bonus-points

I don't really understand the point of bonus points.. Does it just add onto your ATAR thus increasing the overall score? Also on UAC when you press new application it says "Are you completing/did you complete an Australian Year 12 in 2016?" If i may ask, what bachelor programme are you doing?

Edited by IBStudent98

46 minutes ago, IBStudent98 said:

I don't really understand the point of bonus points.. Does it just add onto your ATAR thus increasing the overall score? Also on UAC when you press new application it says "Are you completing/did you complete an Australian Year 12 in 2016?" If i may ask, what bachelor programme are you doing?

Pretty much.  For the most part, they're not that useful.

I'd say "no" to the year 12 question, as you're definitely completing year 12, but it's not Australian.  To be honest, the specifics probably don't matter much and universities are probably used to a bit of variation.

If you want to enter uni in semester 1, 2018, you'll have to wait until UAC opens for those applications, which is next year.  Or are you entering semester 2, 2017? I just noticed it asked about Year 12 2016, which implies 2017 entry.

I'm doing B International Relations, which I'm quite excited to start!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey just one more thing to add with ANU, they have a "guaranteed entry" scheme based on your predicted marks. So for example if you wanted to get into law and you were predicted a 40 and given an offer, but afterwards you get like 38 or 39 (or anything above 24-25) in the actual exams, you still get in :) It may not work for you because of your different school year, but it would be worth emailing them to ask.

Also, don't stress if you are a mark or two off the requirements unis ask for - they may have extra places so you can still get in regardless.

The only uni that currently has an additional test for law, that I know of, is UNSW. You won't have to worry about it for ANU or USYD. Something to keep in mind is that taking the LAT for UNSW could actually be an advantage if you do well on it, and just miss the ATAR cutoff, since they take both factors into account rather than just your score. 

I'm doing Commerce/Law, so feel free to message me if you have questions about either. 

Good luck for your exams!

Edited by terribletouw