simon11909

Hey Guys, im currently in grade 10 and currently selecting my courses for dp.

In the future, I want to study majors like computer science, software, computer or electronic engineering(Possibly). So I am currently planning to take math physics and chemistry for my HL courses. However personally im just not into chem and doesn't really have much passion to study chem in depth. I just wonder if chemistry is HL really required for my desired uni majors? And is taking both physics and chem hl really hard and exhausting? Would switching the chem hl to economics hl put me into disadvantages when applying for those listed university majors? Much appreciated!!!!!

ps: Im currently planning to go to uni in possibly UK, US or Canada.

2 minutes ago, simon11909 said:

Hey Guys, im currently in grade 10 and currently selecting my courses for dp.

In the future, I want to study majors like computer science, software, computer or electronic engineering(Possibly). So I am currently planning to take math physics and chemistry for my HL courses. However personally im just not into chem and doesn't really have much passion to study chem in depth. I just wonder if chemistry is HL really required for my desired uni majors? And is taking both physics and chem hl really hard and exhausting? Would switching the chem hl to economics hl put me into disadvantages when applying for those listed university majors? Much appreciated!!!!!

ps: Im currently planning to go to uni in possibly UK, US or Canada.

I think you should drop chem to SL. Chemistry is not really necessary for a major in computer science. Rather, you should spend your time reading about different stuff related to the computers, such that you can show your interests to the universities that you will apply to in the future (through interviews, or personal statements). Maybe learn a new programming language (e.g. Java or Python)? looking at stuff relating to discrete mathematics (like boolean algebra, graph theory, induction, logic, combinatorics, etc.)? by the way, discrete maths is one of the option in maths HL (maybe you can try convincing your teacher to do this option?). You can borrow some books about programming, watch youtube tutorials, or take some online courses (like Coursera or Khan Academy, etc.). If you're into hardware (i.e. electronic engineering) or that kind of stuff, then you should spend some money on an Arduino toolkit, which is quite fun to play around with.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vioh said:

I think you should drop chem to SL. Chemistry is not really necessary for a major in computer science. Rather, you should spend your time reading about different stuff related to the computers, such that you can show your interests to the universities that you will apply to in the future (through interviews, or personal statements). Maybe learn a new programming language (e.g. Java or Python)? looking at stuff relating to discrete mathematics (like boolean algebra, graph theory, induction, logic, combinatorics, etc.)? by the way, discrete maths is one of the option in maths HL (maybe you can try convincing your teacher to do this option?). You can borrow some books about programming, watch youtube tutorials, or take some online courses (like Coursera or Khan Academy, etc.). If you're into hardware (i.e. electronic engineering) or that kind of stuff, then you should spend some money on an Arduino toolkit, which is quite fun to play around with.

Thank you so much for your reply! So like if I am taking economics hl instead and competing with someone else who takes chem hl instead of economics, for like computer science or electronic engineering majors. Would his chem hl puts him into a more advantageous position than me?

20 minutes ago, simon11909 said:

Thank you so much for your reply! So like if I am taking economics hl instead and competing with someone else who takes chem hl instead of economics, for like computer science or electronic engineering majors. Would his chem hl puts him into a more advantageous position than me?

Nope, I would guess not. For this type of situation, I think what's more important is the quality of your personal statements and interviews, rather than whether you've taken chem SL or HL. So go ahead and drop chem to SL, but make sure you spend time on your own to research more about computer science.

For Canadian unis only:

It doesn't matter at all if you take SL or HL chem. In this country you can get into any engineering program no matter what level you took your courses at (for example, you can get into the top engineering school with SL math/physics/chem). Universities won't look at you 'less' if they see SL chem. If you want to study software/computer/electronic engineering, you won't even take that many chem classes in university anyways.

• 1 month later...

Yeah like the others said, it doesn't matter much whether you do HL or SL. But in Canada, chemistry is still a required course for all engineering programs. As a heads up, most computer engineering programs are extremely competitive. Especially software engineering, which is hard to get into some schools even with a 95%+ (converted) average. 

Good luck.