Maths Studies: Medicine in Europe or Australian university

Drusilla

Hello! 

I couldn't get into the Maths SL class or Maths Studies one year class because my blocks didn't work and I really just don't like the idea of doing stressful mathematics but I was wondering if this will affect me in any way since I want to study medicine in a European or Australian university.

Definitely going to affect European universities. You might be forced to take a foundation year if you apply. In Germany they don't recognise maths studies, and in England you can't apply for undergraduate medicine with it either (unless you do the foundation year).

i cannot speak for all universities in Europe, but a common requirement is maths SL. You could always do an undergrad in a science and apply for graduate medicine - this would work in England! 

Depends on the University in Australia. Of the two best medicinal universities in Australia, USYD does take Maths Studies, however, you may need to take a "recommended but optional" 2 week bridging course. [N.B, USYD is going to start a maths prereq system in 2019 admissions].  UMelb does not allow Maths Studies, and requires the attainment of a 4 in Maths SL. 

Otherwise, for undergraduate entry, you will most likely be alright with Maths Studies, but you probably will be BETTER off with SL.

• 1 year later...

Quick googling tells me Math studies isn't accepted for med school in australia.

Honestly I would just take math SL, since you don't need too high grades. I would also look into the debate between medicine as a 6 year bachelor degree or 4 year undergrad THEN go to med school. The second route may potentially be easier for IB, but then you'll need to meet the pre-requisite subjects during your bachelor to get into med school

Best of luck