2 HL courses?!

A.W.

Hi so im in grade 10 right now and I have to pick my courses for IB soon. I want to attend university somewhere in the UK (for medicine) and I was looking at the requirements and they require you to take HL bio and HL chem. (I'm taking grade 11 physics next semester) My school discourages taking 2 HL sciences because they said it would be too hard :(  How hard is it? Is it manageable? Would it be possible to get a level 6 or 7 in the course? (I have a 90% in science right now) Do you regret taking it?

Thanks!!!

Hi there! I started ib a few months ago with bio&chem HL. The courses are demanding but definitely manageable with good work ethic - revise what you've done over a week during the weekend and you should be good.

I never regret choosing my subjects, though biology can get a bit boring sometimes - but that's always up to the individual. 

I don't know you so I'm not sure how much effort you're willing to put into the subjects, but I still think it's better to start off with a harder subject combination and drop later on as you actually start to struggle.

Whilst prevention is better than cure, this does not apply here ;) 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mac117 said:

Hi there! I started ib a few months ago with bio&chem HL. The courses are demanding but definitely manageable with good work ethic - revise what you've done over a week during the weekend and you should be good.

I never regret choosing my subjects, though biology can get a bit boring sometimes - but that's always up to the individual. 

I don't know you so I'm not sure how much effort you're willing to put into the subjects, but I still think it's better to start off with a harder subject combination and drop later on as you actually start to struggle.

Whilst prevention is better than cure, this does not apply here ;) 

Ok thank u so much!! By revise, do you mean re-read notes or study? And which is harder, bio or chem?

33 minutes ago, A.W. said:

Ok thank u so much!! By revise, do you mean re-read notes or study? And which is harder, bio or chem?

Well, for me re-reading the notes is studying for the most part... I'd say for every unit you should make Flashcards too. 

This is a tricky one, since I don't seem to be following the rule - I find chemistry easier & a bit more interesting than bio. More applying of concepts rather than pure memorisation like it often is with biology. 

I have friends who have a different opinion and think biology is way easier, so it's really up to the individual. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mac117 said:

Well, for me re-reading the notes is studying for the most part... I'd say for every unit you should make Flashcards too. 

This is a tricky one, since I don't seem to be following the rule - I find chemistry easier & a bit more interesting than bio. More applying of concepts rather than pure memorisation like it often is with biology. 

I have friends who have a different opinion and think biology is way easier, so it's really up to the individual. 

Ok thank you!!