What do we put for "implications" in our essay?

revumol7

I have been very confused as to what we need to put in the implications section for our ToK essay. Even my teacher and the evaluator who came in to speak to us seemed very confused. They said we are not allowed to bring up anything new in the conclusion as part of our implication section and at the same time want us to extend beyond the RLS in the claim/counterclaim. Does this seem right? Are there some Alumni that can chime in with what they did?

When people say you cannot add information in the conclusion, they really mean to say that you cannot add evidence. Thus, you cannot introduce a new outside quote, you cannot introduce a new knowledge issue, etc.

However, you certainly can argue and even present new arguments about the implications of your thesis, because the inherent nature of this means you will only be using evidence already provided in your essay. For example, In the body of my essay I might use ice cream and all the bad things about it as evidence (In hindsight, ice cream is a great topic :P). Let's say I choose the imaginary prompt "Can something that is good also be bad and vice versa?" In the conclusion, the focus should not be repeating what I said in the body. If I used a specific example (ice cream) as evidence, and furthermore introduced a quotes as evidence that ice cream is unhealthy in the body of the essay and then argued that ice cream is good and bad, I should not just repeat "ice cream is good and bad" in the conclusion.

Rather, when I'm talking about implications, I should talk about how ice cream represents how many things (not just ice cream) can be both good and bad. This is a brief restatement of my thesis. I should talk about how this affects knowledge and the world. For example, I could talk about how people should always weigh the pros and cons of everything and not just view them as either a monolithic good or bad. Note: It's okay to make societal recommendations for your implications (Try not to over-generalize, but it is somewhat inevitable here and will be permitted to an extent). Another example of an implication would be talking about how (now encroaching on a real-life title) is how disagreement between experts is possible because one may value one thing (healthiness) versus another (taste) and how the experts should proceed to arguing the merits of broader categories (in this case, health and taste) rather than over ice cream so that they can reach a better understanding even if they never agree. I can talk about many consequences that arise from things being both good and bad. These consequences should have a broad base.

A good conclusion should not repeat (except maybe in a brief summarizing sentence or two). It would be annoying for examiners who, having read the essay, would have to read another section telling them what they just read. Don't introduce new evidence. In our hypothetical case, that would mean don't introduce love, ambition, french fries, etc. as new examples to argue the thesis that things can be both good and bad (If it's really profound, just make a new body paragraph). Don't even add new sub-evidence. So don't support the claim you made in the body that ice cream is unhealthy with a new fact about how much sugar it contains on average. Instead, recede and talk about how your thesis affects the world and what should be done.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Guys, if you order an essay online, is it better to choose an agency? When working with an agency, you get a higher level of service, since an agency employee is involved in working with the contractor. He is looking for an executor, if necessary, he can replace him, as a rule, agencies are more stable in their work, with official registration and an office, the agency also bears legal responsibility to the customer, and this is an additional guarantee. It is so? I looked after such an agency https://studymoose.com/read-my-essay. Have you already ordered work there?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...