[A1] Oral Commentaries -- Tips?

Alouette

Any tips on how you should actually structure it? I'm doing a commentary next week, and my mock commentary today was truly awful. I ended up panicking because I tried to say everything at once, so it would be really helpful if anyone here could give me some advice on the structure (especially on how to come up with it in that ridiculously short amount of time we get for preparation).

It's literally done on the spot. Be succinct, keep your points clear and relevant. Never overextrapolate upon a single or multiple ideas. Make your point, support it and explain how it is significant, and move on.

Refer to the first post at

for more tips.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I really need time for any sort of analysis... I've always been a voracious reader in fiction. I was accused of plagiarism in year 7 for writing an extended creative piece we had to write because apparently it was of 'year 11 standard'. I always understand the meaning of a prose/poem, but identifying language devices and their effect (more the effect) just doesn't come easy - its like explaining how to walk. I'll pass over a figure of speech/metonymy or what not because it all seems so natural to me. ' There are just so much information I cant categorize it into specific themes - there will be a group of examples that link together which can be considered a theme, but also link two my two or so other themes. I especially hate being force to not do a stanza by stanza commentary as most often meaning is developed in a structured way throughout the poem.I spent my 20 mins in the practice doing nothing... my planning paper had a few sentences on it. Got 2s ( I didn't particularly like the extract either...last ch. from Jane Eyre). As opposed to my IOP in which I got a 7. Im ok at commentary - I just need time to collect my thoughts. I got 18/25 for P1. Ive also diagnosed myself with inattentive ADHD, might have to do something with my irregular performance.

organizing my thoughts is definitely my greatest challenge.

• 7 years later...

I am gonna have my Practice IOC tomorrow and just looking through the conversations have given me an idea of how I should speak and stuff.

These tips are SO helpful. Also I guess it helps a LOT to always have the BIG 5  and in case you're stuck try to remember those 5 and I'm sure you will get back on track speaking out of experience from IB1. 

The big 5s are:

Audience and Purpose

Content and Theme

Tone and Mood

Stylistic Devices 

Structure