Simulations for bio IA

Carlos

Hello :D

I'm starting to plan my HL biology  IA and I was wondering if it was a good idea to use a simulation for my IA.

In case I decide to use data base I have the same questions for it.

Are the chances of getting a high mark lower for any of those options ?

• 2 months later...

I think it depends on how you use the simulation? What is the simulation and what variables are you testing on? Since you are taking HL biology, i wouldn't completely recommend it since you may get the same results if you redo the simulation again. You might get lower marks if you use a computer simulation. 

46 minutes ago, nadi0987 said:

I think it depends on how you use the simulation? What is the simulation and what variables are you testing on? Since you are taking HL biology, i wouldn't completely recommend it since you may get the same results if you redo the simulation again. You might get lower marks if you use a computer simulation. 

There's no differentiation in the grading of IAs between SL and HL, in case that's what you were suggesting. Data base IAs are no problem for the new science syllabus, so long as you can justify the decisions and controls you have within the simulation. However, nadi does raise a good point in that some simulations will only yield the same data for each change in the independent variable.

Edited by IB`ez