Physics IA - Relationship between density of fluids and frequency of singing wine glass

Muhammad Hazman Bin Hussin

Okay, I'm new here and I need help regarding my IA.

My experiment is as I've described in the title, my problem right now is, I couldn't get the data similar to what I've researched.

From my background research, the graph should be in "n" shape. Increase a bit in the beginning and then it should decrease as density increases.

What I've got is complete opposite of that. I got a "v" shaped graph. And now I' stuck as I cannot make any sound argument.

Has anybody else carried out this experiment before? I really appreciate it if anyone can share their thoughts regarding my IA.

The materials that I've been using are oil, water, methanol, detergent and honey. All constant at 100ml volume. And of course, by using the same wine glass.

• 1 month later...

Re: http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/247516/what-is-the-effect-of-liquid-density-on-the-pitch-of-a-singing-wine-glass

Check out the first answer. Depending on what you holding constant, and what you are plotting, the graph may appear different. A frequency-density should be decreasing and concave down in all positive alpha assuming hn is positive. 

The time I have seen the n shaped graph is relating to resonance of different frequencies applied on an object of natural frequency. Because of the highly complex empirical formula, you should repeat experiment many many times (say 20?) and check patterns afterwards. 

• 3 years later...

I can't believe this, it is the same concept as my physics IA! The only difference is that I'm tapping the glass instead of rubbing the top. However, I can't find ANY information or mathematical background on how density and frecuency correlate. Do you think you can help me? Any place to look?

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2019 at 1:11 AM, Domennndaa said:

I can't believe this, it is the same concept as my physics IA! The only difference is that I'm tapping the glass instead of rubbing the top. However, I can't find ANY information or mathematical background on how density and frecuency correlate. Do you think you can help me? Any place to look?

did you find any. is it necessary that the IA includes mathematical illustrations of the experiment?