Which book for psychology?

heynow

Psychology has a lot of sort of bad resources out there.
I would strongly recommend you do not use Pearson. Its just terrible, the studies they give you are;
i) not plentiful enough ii) not explained in sufficient detail and iii) sometimes irrelevant to the syllabus point. 
Oxford is a little bit better, it still has a few problems in that it doesn't give you enough empirical research to really back-up your claims. 
To an extent, I believe that scoring well in Psychology is not so much based on "textbook based knowledge".
Really, the guiding principles of focused attention to the command term, critical thinking, evaluation and synthesis will give you the bulk of your marks, i.e non-textbook factors and learnt skills in essay writing. 

• Like 1

I think we use the Oxford book, but I highly recommend getting the IB Psychology Study Guide book because it has really helpful guides for writing essays according to the command terms. Definitely master the command terms and really understand their meanings because that's how you'll write your essays on particular studies and such.

Good luck, and I hope I helped!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody

I can see that the Oxford resources may be more usefull.

Now, i have a question. One of the school where i am going to work is asking the student to buy all of the following  textbooks.

1. Psychology for the IB Diploma : Study Guide published by Oxford University Press in 2012 written by Jette Hannibal 

2. Psychology. Supporting every learner across the IB Continuum published by Pearson Baccalaureate in 2015 written by Alan Law, Christos Halkiopoulos, Christian Bryan

3. Psychology Course Companion : IB Diploma Porgramme published by Oxford University Press in 2012 written by John Crane, Jette Hannibal

Does it make sense to use at the same time the Pearson and the Oxford textbooks? Woulnd't be enough to adopt just the Oxford?

Thanks for your help

On 9 Sep 2016 at 4:07 PM, Daniele Gargano said:

Hi everybody

I can see that the Oxford resources may be more usefull.

Now, i have a question. One of the school where i am going to work is asking the student to buy all of the following  textbooks.

1. Psychology for the IB Diploma : Study Guide published by Oxford University Press in 2012 written by Jette Hannibal 

2. Psychology. Supporting every learner across the IB Continuum published by Pearson Baccalaureate in 2015 written by Alan Law, Christos Halkiopoulos, Christian Bryan

3. Psychology Course Companion : IB Diploma Porgramme published by Oxford University Press in 2012 written by John Crane, Jette Hannibal

Does it make sense to use at the same time the Pearson and the Oxford textbooks? Woulnd't be enough to adopt just the Oxford?

Thanks for your help

I don't think it would be necessary to buy 2 and 3, as they cover mostly the same things and people here have suggested number 3. As for 1, I would recommend buying it because it's a study guide and it will probably help for the assessments!

I used the Oxford guide, the bigger Oxford guide and Pearson Baccalaureate for HL. Out of those three, I'd recommend Pearson for studying during the course, as it's very well written, interesting and thorough. The Oxford guide is great for exam preparation. The Oxford course companion is alright too, but I found Pearson more interesting and thorough. 

5 hours ago, Gaby said:

I used the Oxford guide, the bigger Oxford guide and Pearson Baccalaureate for HL. Out of those three, I'd recommend Pearson for studying during the course, as it's very well written, interesting and thorough. The Oxford guide is great for exam preparation. The Oxford course companion is alright too, but I found Pearson more interesting and thorough. 

Thanks a lot, i was comparing both manuals...somehow they complete each other. It would be perfect to have everything just in one textbook.

In my school I barely used books to study for exams or do homework. In psychology (and other classes) my principal source of information is the internet. I recommend you to type on Google "IB Psychology [insert theme here]", there are plenty of websites explaining the related investigations to your query.

The best for essays homework: http://ibguides.com/psychology/home

The best to study: http://ibpsychnotes.com

On 16/9/2016 at 6:03 PM, Kevin9908 said:

In my school I barely used books to study for exams or do homework. In psychology (and other classes) my principal source of information is the internet. I recommend you to type on Google "IB Psychology [insert theme here]", there are plenty of websites explaining the related investigations to your query.

The best for essays homework: http://ibguides.com/psychology/home

The best to study: http://ibpsychnotes.com

Kewin, thanks a lot for the sources, very usefull.

Regards