Did anyone write data based analysis IA

greentea06

From May 2016 session, science IA is changed so that students can do online database analysis as their IA right?

I want to write something similar to this one --> https://ibpublishing.ibo.org/server2/rest/app/tsm.xql?doc=d_4_biolo_tsm_1408_1_e&part=8&chapter=10 which takes the database from WHO and sees the correlation between the incidence of a disease and HDI (Human development Index). 

Is there anyone who wrote online database analysis IA this year and scored well (7) ? Since this is a new thing, my teacher is kind of negative about it... But I still want to write it, as I can't think of any original IA experiments. 

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2016. 8. 20. at 9:31 PM, melliflower said:

I found our answer. :)

Hey! Sorry I was bit late to see your post :(

Does your teacher also not allow you to write a data-based IA? Since my teacher is kinda negative about it (he said that example would be more like a math IA) , I think i have to do an experiment based, though I don't want to...

Is there anyone in your school last year did a data-based?? 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wrikder1999 said:

Hi sorry, I was wondering if I could access the E.S.S. teacher support material part of the   https://ibpublishing.ibo.org/server2/rest/app/tsm.xql?doc=d_4_biolo_tsm_1408_1_e&part=8&chapter=10   website?

Is that possible or is it just for Biology :D

https://ibpublishing.ibo.org/ess/apps/dpapp/assessment.html?doc=d_4_ecoso_gui_1505_1_e

• Like 2

Guys, my Biology teacher told be that Data Based IAs are not allowed in the new syllabus anymore. Be careful, some people in my class had to re-do and re-write their IAs because of that. (I'm not sure the validity of that information, even tho my teacher is pretty good)

Edited by Raissa Pereira

35 minutes ago, Raissa Pereira said:

Guys, my Biology teacher told be that Data Based IAs are not allowed in the new syllabus anymore. Be careful, some people in my class had to re-do and re-write their IAs because of that. (I'm not sure the validity of that information, even tho my teacher is pretty good)

No, that's not true. It is in the syllabus that data-based IA are allowed. In the Oxford course companion published in 2014 there are examples of analyses of GenBank or Alfred data.

Oh I don't know. My teacher said they were okay

Edited by melliflower

Our teacher showed us an example of an IA based on a simulation. 

I would advise against it, however. It may be more difficult to score highly on personal engagement and investigation points. You would need a lot of trials and data. 

The example earned a 6 if I remember correctly, but out teacher is a trained examiner as well, and she said the examiner may have been too lenient (so it could be closer to a 5). 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Kinda late, but thank you everyone for the advice!

I ended up doing experiment-based IA and scored 23/24! (not moderated yet though)

I was thinking of doing data-based IA because I thought researching saves more time than doing an actual experiment, but finding an appropriate research source was very demanding. For those of you, juniors, who are considering data-based IA, I strongly advise to do experiment-based IA :))

6 hours ago, greentea06 said:

I ended up doing experiment-based IA and scored 23/24! (not moderated yet though)

I was thinking of doing data-based IA because I thought researching saves more time than doing an actual experiment, but finding an appropriate research source was very demanding. For those of you, juniors, who are considering data-based IA, I strongly advise to do experiment-based IA :))

That's an outstanding score! I hope I get a high score on mine as well, but our school doesn't let us know the grades until they are moderated. 

• 3 years later...
On 4/26/2017 at 1:25 PM, greentea06 said:

Hey i wanted to ask what is your IA topic and what was your research question?