Taking SL Psych Online (Pamoja)

charisok

Hi! I'm about to enter my first year of IB in August, and I'm taking SL Psychology through Pamoja. I haven't seen many threads about online courses, specifically psychology, but I'm sorry if I'm mistaken and these questions have already been answered.

Basically:

1. What was your experience in taking psych through Pamoja? Did you have a good teacher? Did you like the layout of information?
  2. Is this class really difficult? (I'm wondering if I can bump it up to HL, if that's not a hassle for an online course.) 
  3. Would you recommend getting a textbook? (I'm looking at the Pearson Baccalaureate, but I'd like to avoid it because it's super expensive.) 

I hope this post isn't overkill; I'm just a sucker for details and really excited about IB in general. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by charisok

• 3 weeks later...

Hey

I'm also going to take Psychology SL on Pamoja, maybe we'll meet! :)

I was also thinking of changing to Hl and from what i've heard the difference between the two is not very great. You only have to take another option (which I personally would love to do since all the options sound terrific) and you will have to look at the psychology research methodology.

Seeing as your other subjects arent too tough you could probably manage hl as well. Just remember that you will have to make up your mind till Octobre 12th otherwise you will have to pay a transfer fee.

As for the books... I dont know if its a requirement but I think I will get one. I will certainly buy it second hand though. You could also maybe just buy a study guide seeing as they are cheaper. Honestly considering the cost of the course I would hope they cover reading material ^^

5 hours ago, Lea:) said:

Hey

I'm also going to take Psychology SL on Pamoja, maybe we'll meet! :)

I was also thinking of changing to Hl and from what i've heard the difference between the two is not very great. You only have to take another option (which I personally would love to do since all the options sound terrific) and you will have to look at the psychology research methodology.

Seeing as your other subjects arent too tough you could probably manage hl as well. Just remember that you will have to make up your mind till Octobre 12th otherwise you will have to pay a transfer fee.

As for the books... I dont know if its a requirement but I think I will get one. I will certainly buy it second hand though. You could also maybe just buy a study guide seeing as they are cheaper. Honestly considering the cost of the course I would hope they cover reading material ^^

I was just looking at the subtopics yesterday and thinking the same thing! I narrowed it down to abnormal psych, but I'm also really interested in developmental psych and human relationships. 

My IB school has only been established for a couple of years, and I think (?) we'll be the fourth graduating class. Your teachers seem to have told you a lot more than mine. I'm really glad to hear about the transfer deadline, though. 

Thank you so much! I hope we get to work together. :D

Edited by charisok

24 minutes ago, charisok said:

I was just looking at the subtopics yesterday and thinking the same thing! I narrowed it down to abnormal psych, but I'm also really interested in developmental psych and human relationships. 

My IB school has only been established for a couple of years, and I think (?) we'll be the fourth graduating class. Your teachers seem to have told you a lot more than mine. I'm really glad to hear about the transfer deadline, though. 

Thank you so much! I hope we get to work together. :D

Those we're my favorite too! and according to the Pamoja website the sl course will do only abnormal psych and the hl course will do both abnormal and human relationships.

Yeah my school has done the IB for a bit longer (around 10years) but to be honest they didnt tell me that much. I had to hassle my coordinator for weeks until he finally enrolled me in the course. :angry:

Do you already know if you will transfer to hl?

3 minutes ago, Lea:) said:

Those we're my favorite too! and according to the Pamoja website the sl course will do only abnormal psych and the hl course will do both abnormal and human relationships.

Yeah my school has done the IB for a bit longer (around 10years) but to be honest they didnt tell me that much. I had to hassle my coordinator for weeks until he finally enrolled me in the course. :angry:

Do you already know if you will transfer to hl?

Since there's not too great a difference, I'm definitely leaning towards HL. If managing 4 HLs doesn't work out, I could probably drop biology down to SL or something. 

I'm going to hold off on bugging my coordinator because I won't have school until the 29th, but I guess it all comes down to that and my argumentative skills. :P

1 hour ago, charisok said:

Since there's not too great a difference, I'm definitely leaning towards HL. If managing 4 HLs doesn't work out, I could probably drop biology down to SL or something. 

I'm going to hold off on bugging my coordinator because I won't have school until the 29th, but I guess it all comes down to that and my argumentative skills. :P

yeah me too. I dont really need it for uni but I really enjoy psychology and i may want to study it later on :/

I'm just a bit scared because i already have physics, maths and chem as my HLs and they're supposed to be difficult :mellow: Also I cant drop any of those because I need them for the uni I want to apply to .

Oh well, I'll see at the end of the holidays i guess

6 minutes ago, Lea:) said:

yeah me too. I dont really need it for uni but I really enjoy psychology and i may want to study it later on :/

I'm just a bit scared because i already have physics, maths and chem as my HLs and they're supposed to be difficult :mellow: Also I cant drop any of those because I need them for the uni I want to apply to .

Oh well, I'll see at the end of the holidays i guess

Those are super hard. I'm taking way easier subjects, and my friends are still advising me not to do 4 HLs. Maybe you should just go SL if it's not a requirement. Good luck, though.  

3 minutes ago, charisok said:

Those are super hard. I'm taking way easier subjects, and my friends are still advising me not to do 4 HLs. Maybe you should just go SL if it's not a requirement. Good luck, though.  

i know, i know that's the problem :(

But I'll see...

Good Luck to you too and maybe we'll meet again :)

8 hours ago, charisok said:

I actually ended up emailing my coordinator today, and he's letting me take it at HL. :')

That's great ! :) I'm sure it's a good decision

I think I really want to do HL as well but I'll wait till the beginning of the year...

• 3 weeks later...