Written Assignment

Alright basically the only thing that should be a resource is the book and nothing else because it is not a research paper. 

Find a topic from the books you read that you would like to talk about, and try and be as unique as possible

I did, "An Analysis on the Rule of Three in Franz Kafka's 'The Metamorphosis'".

Now try and find the three main points you want to use for your work.

I talked about the book being in three parts, the three apples, and the three family members.

then draw in at least two solid quotes. I will not bore you with that part

After that, you need to explain:

A) how it draws into your point

B) why this was significant to the author or why the author did it.

That is what I did for my Written Assignment and I am predicted to get a 7 on it! I hope this helped. And if you want someone to glance at it before you show a teacher I am here. Just shoot me a message.

Edited by Merril889
  • Like 2

Alright basically the only thing that should be a resource is the book and nothing else because it is not a research paper. 

Find a topic from the books you read that you would like to talk about, and try and be as unique as possible

I did, "An Analysis on the Rule of Three in Franz Kafka's 'The Metamorphosis'".

Now try and find the three main points you want to use for your work.

I talked about the book being in three parts, the three apples, and the three family members.

then draw in at least two solid quotes. I will not bore you with that part

After that, you need to explain:

A) how it draws into your point

B) why this was significant to the author or why the author did it.

That is what I did for my Written Assignment and I am predicted to get a 7 on it! I hope this helped. And if you want someone to glance at it before you show a teacher I am here. Just shoot me a message.

Oh ok, just a book? The Language B Guide recommended me to find articles/news sources about a certain cultural/social/technological topic and that I address it within my Written Assignment in the form of a blog post or other text types. Also, the Teacher Support Materials only had SL examples of Written Assignments being about topics like "Dating in High School" and weren't based on books. I'll double-check all that though.

Ah that's interesting -- Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka will be one of the Part 3 texts my English A teacher will be introducing next year. 

But so basically for my written assignment, I take a random novel in the language I'm studying, and with the aid of textual evidence, I write about the use of a certain motif (is this what you mean by "drawing into your point"?) within the book? 

Sorry, I'm still a bit confused as wouldn't that be the same as just writing a textual analysis essay of the text? (unless you mean doing so with different text types e.g. blog posts/news articles etc.)

Well with this information your are reminding me of what I had to do in my Spanish B class where I took a topic that I learned about (health, media, etc.) and chose to talk about something that using articles that were in Spanish and then wrote a paper in Spanish. Does that sound like what you have to do???  

Which subject is this for???  It might be different for Eng A Lang and lit than just Lit (I am taking just lit)

I thought you were referring to the written assignment that used to be known as WiT or Works in Translation paper that we have to do.

Well with this information your are reminding me of what I had to do in my Spanish B class where I took a topic that I learned about (health, media, etc.) and chose to talk about something that using articles that were in Spanish and then wrote a paper in Spanish. Does that sound like what you have to do???  

Which subject is this for???  It might be different for Eng A Lang and lit than just Lit (I am taking just lit)

I thought you were referring to the written assignment that used to be known as WiT or Works in Translation paper that we have to do.

Yes. I'm referring to Language B Written Assignment since this is the sub forum for it no? :o 

Well my advice for that is to take your favorite topic you like and then think of a topic from that which you find interesting and then find 2 or 3 articles on that

for instance in spanish B I liked Health 

Then I thought about doctors without boards 

I then found the articles for it and then and then wrote a blog and said i was a new doctor and then wrote about "my adventures" as a doctor. I used articles from past events and wrote it as if I was there.

Well my advice for that is to take your favorite topic you like and then think of a topic from that which you find interesting and then find 2 or 3 articles on that

for instance in spanish B I liked Health 

Then I thought about doctors without boards 

I then found the articles for it and then and then wrote a blog and said i was a new doctor and then wrote about "my adventures" as a doctor. I used articles from past events and wrote it as if I was there.

Any topic from the 5 Core topics right? Or does it have to be one of the two topics from the core that my teacher has chosen for the class? 

I believe any of them will suffice but I would ask a fellow student to be exact. My teacher wanted us to use one of the chosen really for our Written Assignment. Maybe even shoot him/her an email asking if it has to be from one of the chosen or from any topic taught. 

I looked it up in the IB guide just to make sure and it does mention using a core topic to produce to the written assignment. So you can make it about any topic from the core if you would like. Also I recommend you look up IB Language B guide and look at it yourself because at the bottom it mentions something about Indonesian B that you many not know. I found it quite intriguing.

Edited by Merril889