Tips on socializing / making new friends

Daryl Ryan

Hi guys ^_^

So, I'm going for a leadership camp overseas (organised by our school) with the other IB students from my school and it'll be the first time we meet each other (our school is a new school). I'm not bad at making friends it's just that I can be a little shy at times XD 

So, do you guys have any tips on talking to other people or making new friends? Especially those that you meet for the first time.

Thanks for your time :) 

Here's a poem that has helped me tremendously: 

The Value of a Smile

It costs nothing, but creates much.

It enriches those who receive, without impoverishing those who give.

It happens in a flash and the memory of it sometimes lasts forever.

None are so rich they can get along without it, and none so poor but are richer for its benefits.

It creates happiness in the home, fosters good will in a business, and is the countersign of friends.

It is rest to the weary, daylight to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad, and Nature's best antidote for trouble.

Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed, or stolen, for it is something that is no earthly good to anybody till it is given away.

And if in the last-minute rush of the business-day, some of our colleagues should be too tired to give a smile, may we ask you to leave one of yours?

For nobody needs a smile so much as those who have none left to give! 

So the first thing I'd say is smile. 

The second thing is to understand that other people will be in a similar situation as you (looking for friends) so that'll make the whole process easier. The third thing is to appreciate that everyone has something interesting to say so become interested in people. They're generally quite cool and when people start talking about things they know (themselves) they'll open up a bit more. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Oscarthecat3 said:

Say HI! 

Ahahahahaha I'll definitely do that!

9 hours ago, Award Winning Boss said:

So the first thing I'd say is smile. 

The second thing is to understand that other people will be in a similar situation as you (looking for friends) so that'll make the whole process easier. The third thing is to appreciate that everyone has something interesting to say so become interested in people. They're generally quite cool and when people start talking about things they know (themselves) they'll open up a bit more. 

Thanks so much for the poem and tips :D I'll keep them in mind.