Which country should I move to?

Hello everyone!

So, in about half a year I need to decide where I am going to study and live for the coming 6 years. This is an important decision for me, because this will affect my future a lot! I would need some thought (with reasons if possible), since my parents are biased (of course). Some background information about me: I am 18 years old, was born in Hungary and moved to Sweden when I was 8 years old. I don't like Sweden, I want to study medicine and move to either UK or back to HUNGARY. I can't choose because both sides have equal pros and cons. Here I will list them:

UK

+ Good to get an English diploma, if I want to work abroad e.g. Australia

+ Been there twice and really loved the country and the people. Became some kind of "dream"

+ Better living conditions than Hungary

- No family or whatsoever, I am alone

- I need to adapt to a new society AGAIN

HUNGARY

+ Lots of family and friends and connections 

+ My home country, where I could feel at home immediately, I am a "native"

+ Cheaper university (recognised worldwide) and better weather

- Low wages and slightly poorer living conditions

- I am not sure if I want to live in Hungary for the rest of my life

Thank you sooo much for any input, I need some new perspectives!!

Cheers! 

Well, I've never been to either country, so maybe that makes me unbiased.

In the end, it depends on what you want more: a studious atmosphere from a world-ranked uni in the UK (which could look good job-wise)

Or, a less competitive uni where you have more support and in a familiar culture, which could really help yourself mentally through uni.

I'd personally go with the UK because of the reputation and because I do well with competition. I know people who have gone to new countries for uni alone, and they made lots of friends in no time (they weren't super outgoing either, but not completely shy)

However, you could also spend a few years in Hungary, then do med school somewhere else. That could allow you to get a really high GPA

• Like 1

I don't know if it's the same for Hungary but when I applied to UK universities they really appreciated IB, it has a very good reputation in the UK. Also, since you are European the universities won't be as expensive and you can get scholarships, for Sussex, for example, you can get a £3000 (3774€) scholarship with 36 points in IB.  Some universities in the UK also give grants, universities like Warwick would give you £1000- 3000 grants depending on your family income, but I am not sure on this one cause I think they are stopping the grants this year. Overall I'd say the UK, especially if it's for medicine, but I am kinda biassed on this one. I hope this is of some help. 

Edited by David GW
  • Like 1

It's expensive to train in the UK, and medicine in the UK is in turmoil at the moment. I don't know much about Hungary but the thing is you can always train in Hungary and move to the UK to work, seems to me getting a degree surrounded by your family/friends/connections and in a cheaper way is a no-brainer.

How long can you wait before deciding? I'd maybe try to hold off on taking this decision until after the 23rd of June. The UK is going to vote on whether or not to remain in the EU and that will have a huge impact, especially for people in your position. For instance, UK students pay circa £9,000 a year in fees to attend University in England. EU students also pay these fees. International students pay well above that, I'd give £12,000-15,000 as a very rough estimate. If the UK leaves the EU you could face being slammed with international fees, for instance.

Medicine is competitive in the UK and generally well regarded, but I imagine it is the same in Hungary. Training in Hungary and coming over here is completely possible.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your opinions so far!! Good thoughts that are needed.

Veronica, I agree with you that the reputation might be worth it and I do well in competition too :). It feels good to work for something you really want! However going to uni in a new country sounds really exciting but at the same time scary but I am very social, so it shouldn't be a problem *trying to convince myself*. 

David, I didn't really know about the scholarships, but this sounds very good to me and I will definitely do some research on that, thank you! :) 

Sandwich, I do have time to wait out the 23rd of June, and I am worried that UK might leave the EU! The thing is that if I am going to move to another country after Hungary anyway, why not "jump over" one country in the process, if you know what I mean? I would like to settle into the new culture as soon as possible, since it gets harder and harder as the years go by. Money should not be an issue, my parents told me that they will support me <3. I just have this dream to start over in the UK for some reason but being alone is my only issue really :/ 

18 minutes ago, Balazs said:

Thank you all for your opinions so far!! Good thoughts that are needed.

Veronica, I agree with you that the reputation might be worth it and I do well in competition too :). It feels good to work for something you really want! However going to uni in a new country sounds really exciting but at the same time scary but I am very social, so it shouldn't be a problem *trying to convince myself*. 

David, I didn't really know about the scholarships, but this sounds very good to me and I will definitely do some research on that, thank you! :) 

Sandwich, I do have time to wait out the 23rd of June, and I am worried that UK might leave the EU! The thing is that if I am going to move to another country after Hungary anyway, why not "jump over" one country in the process, if you know what I mean? I would like to settle into the new culture as soon as possible, since it gets harder and harder as the years go by. Money should not be an issue, my parents told me that they will support me <3. I just have this dream to start over in the UK for some reason but being alone is my only issue really :/ 

If it's your dream to start over in the UK then it sounds like you've already made your decision!! There will be many people who are academically similar that would make great friends and could introduce you to the culture!