So I was thinking of doing my extended essay in ESS and maybe do an experiment which somehow has to do with agriculture. What I have in mind is maybe getting an agricultural plant and making it grow while using different amounts of pesticides  and maybe use three different pesticide and go from there. But I'm not quite sure, especially since this would be my teacher's first time helping a student out with an IA. However I really want to do an EE in ESS and more specific, do an experiment since I want to do something that is "hands on". I would appreciate if someone could advice me with this or maybe give me an idea of an experiment that I could do. Thank you!

Yeah, I would certainly say that this is possible to do. I believe that doing a hands on experiment type will allow you to go into detail with your own experimental values. Make sure you do the experiment correctly though. I am also certain that there will be a good deal of research already done, and use this to back up what you find, or if you find something different, look to why. Do some reading around, see if you can find data for what you want to do, get in touch with people and see where it takes, you. As a farmer myself, I like it. (though we don't use pesticides) 

Thank you for the advice. I'm actually lucky enough to have access to a school that has it's own farm. I attended it for a year, and people there know me. That's why I felt like it would be a good idea to do something revolving around agriculture since I have direct access to people that work in this field.

• 5 years later...
On 4/11/2016 at 11:42 PM, Pinehood said:

So I was thinking of doing my extended essay in ESS and maybe do an experiment which somehow has to do with agriculture. What I have in mind is maybe getting an agricultural plant and making it grow while using different amounts of pesticides  and maybe use three different pesticide and go from there. But I'm not quite sure, especially since this would be my teacher's first time helping a student out with an IA. However I really want to do an EE in ESS and more specific, do an experiment since I want to do something that is "hands on". I would appreciate if someone could advice me with this or maybe give me an idea of an experiment that I could do. Thank you!

Well, pesticides don't affect the growth of your plants, fertilisers do (I was raised with an agricultural background), and if you wanted to conduct an experiment on it, you could change the type of fertiliser on a potato, for example (they grow fairly fast), do several potatoes for each fertilisers in separate containers, and then measure the difference in size and weight?