Hypothesis for lab

kirbimundo

The purpose for my lab is to determine the solute concentration of a potato. (Osmosis lab)
In my hypothesis, I typed in some background info, the mechanics of osmosis, and how I would find the solute concentration.
If I were to use mathematics to estimate that a potato has approximately 25% solute concentration
and the actual results prove to be less than 10%, should I change my hypothesis?
Or can I discuss why my hypothesis was wrong in my conclusion?
This is my first lab in Biology HL
So stressing...

[quote name='kirbimundo' post='26315' date='Oct 7 2008, 05:25 AM']The purpose for my lab is to determine the solute concentration of a potato. (Osmosis lab)
In my hypothesis, I typed in some background info, the mechanics of osmosis, and how I would find the solute concentration.
If I were to use mathematics to estimate that a potato has approximately 25% solute concentration
and the actual results prove to be less than 10%, should I change my hypothesis?
Or can I discuss why my hypothesis was wrong in my conclusion?
This is my first lab in Biology HL
So stressing...[/quote]

No no, you should certainly not change your hypothesis! Your hypothesis is in a way your predicted, actual (if mathematics was used), conclusion and it is to be challanged by your experimental conclusion. This you do by comparing the hypothesis with your experimental values. When evaluating the experiment you should explain [i]why[/i] the hypothesis and the conclusion turned out to be as they are and how you can improve the actual/experimental results till your next lab by identifiying weaknesses in the lab (random and systematic error).

Do not stress, only two of your best labs will be assesed in the end. See this as practice.

Good luck :yahoo: