Is the sample of the SL and HL IAs taken together?

Andrew

Hi,

I'm a bit late with my school's deadlines, and I still have to get my Physics SL and Math HL IAs done ASAP. 

My teacher doesn't really know if the SL and HL samples are taken holistically, or the courses are separated, as this would allow me a little bit of time to finish my IA properly, since I am the only student in the school taking HL. 

Do you know where I can find the handbook of procedures 2016? 

Hey, the handbook for 2016 hasn't been released yet so I say just go with the one in 2015 since there shouldn't be too many major changes anyway.

I took a quick look through it and it didn't say that whether SL and HL samples are separates. I may have missed it, but I'm going to assume that it should be separated between SL and HL because there are different expectations for each level.

Assuming you mean external moderation of internally assessed work.
For last year, all my school's subjects had SL and HL moderated together and sampled together but graded according to the respective rubric. The max number of student work is sampled is 10, which is shared between HL and SL. I know that we had about 70 students taking Chemistry, and a total of 10 students' IAs were moderated (if SL/HL had been separately moderated we would have sent in about 17-20 IAs). We had some discussions on our forum few years ago, but it doesn't seem to have changed much, and to my best knowledge is very accurate. 

It seems that your school is quite new. What my teachers had been saying was that once they enter the IA marks to some marking software, it automatically selects the students for moderation. That being said, the software(?) will likely choose your work simply because you are the only HL Math student. Regardless, it is in your best interest to finish the IAs as soon as possible to completely focus on revision. Many experienced schools have internal deadlines way before the exams, often in January, or February. 

The thing is that they have been changing teachers basically every semester, every year as much, so new teachers rely only on the word of the corrdinator, and the coordinator himself doesn't really care about his job that much. 

• kw0573 locked this topic