Language and Literature EE on Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly

KevinJohana

I am currently in the process of my EE year, and have decided to go the route of language and literature or category 3 in group 1 of the EE guide. 

My original research question was, "how does the Kendrick's use of rhetorical devices create his message, and how is this received by the audience in relation to external factors in 2015."

Now i realise this is very broad, but I also don't know how to narrow it down. To Pimp A Butterfly (TPAB) is a expansive album, and when I told my mentor I wanted to analyze the album's social effect in 2015, she told me to compare it to twitter feeds and any necessary online threads and determine what portions of the albums stirred with the masses. I don't really want to go down the route of comparing with people's reactions, and I would like to stick the to album itself if possible. Is there any way to narrow my topic down, or are there certain questions I should be asking to help narrow my topic down?

Also my mentor has brought up the possibility of comparing two songs one from Kendrick's previous album Good Kid Maad City (GKMC) and one from TPAB, I am also interested in this, is there a way to focus this down? Do i just analyze the lyrics? Do I analyze the effects of the lyrics?

I realize I asked a lot in a short passage, but in general I would like to do my EE on group 1 category 3 and would like it to revolve around Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly, and would love any help on focusing down a topic or even how to approach this EE and achieve a topic. 
Thank you for your time!

• 4 years later...