Another thread on picking subjects

The Gr8 M80

I'm not attending the IB diploma programme but plan on applying and if everything goes like planned hopefully be starting it this fall. I have to pick what subjects I want to study when applying so this has lead me to going back and forth on things a lot and after lurking around the internet and this site in particular a lot and still not being able to decide, I figured that I'd register and make a thread of my own to hopefully get some advice from some people more experienced on this.

Thing is I'm not entirely sure what I want to pursue at university after finishing the IB but have managed to round it down to a few fields that interest me Political Science, Law and Computer Science.

These are the current choices I'm thinking of going with which I'm hoping would make this possible, and they are also the subjects I'm thinking I'll find the most enjoyable.

HL Global Politics

HL Mathematics

HL English A Lit&Lang

SL Physics (would've gone with computer science but not available to pick)

SL French B

SL Swedish A Lit

The question I'm wondering about is if this combination would technically allow me to pursue going into any of the fields I mentioned? Assuming I get good grades. Or is it too open ended to a point where universities may not consider me and it would be better deciding on just one path to focus on now?

Any other advice or suggestions you guys have on what subjects to choose or just in general is appreciated as well.

Overall it looks suitable for your career options. I guess 2 language A's and HL Math is feasible, but it is definitely not a easy combination. Many comp sci schools want a HL group 4, preferably HL Physics or HL Computer Science, this is ok if your school doesn't offer HL Physics. I don't think math and physics have much different values to the schools, SL Math and HL Physics may be an easier option.

• Like 1

Overall it looks suitable for your career options. I guess 2 language A's and HL Math is feasible, but it is definitely not a easy combination. Many comp sci schools want a HL group 4, preferably HL Physics or HL Computer Science, this is ok if your school doesn't offer HL Physics. I don't think math and physics have much different values to the schools, SL Math and HL Physics may be an easier option.

Thanks for replying, the reason I was thinking of picking HL Mathematics over HL Physics is mainly because I enjoy Math more and I figured it would be the prefered HL. I am aware of how notorious it is but I figured Physics would be just as challenging which is why if I go through with it, I think I'll do my best to make sure I'm prepared before I start. I'll look more into it but if it doesn't make much of a difference as far as my chances goes I think I'll stick with this out of personal preference.

I mostly want to do English A because I've found my English class so far very easy and use it on a daily basis so it seems like the natural progression to me.

Edited by The Gr8 M80
  • Like 1