Is it allowed?

aTeddy

I stumbled on a website where you can buy notes for Psychology, from a student who scored a 7. These notes are sold as essay plans and studies for the entire Core of Psychology and I think that I might be interested in purchasing them.

Is this considered allowed as long as I don't plagiarise? I am unsure and I would not like to commit any academic malpractice.
Thanks.

I know for a fact that you are allowed to buy notes from former students. In this case, I don;t know if ttis allowed, but I don't see why not. These notes are like any other source that would help you gain information and support your ideas. As long as you don't plagiarize and cite your sources, I think you're good to go.

If you want to make sure, you could ask your teacher.

I believe that's allowed. 
- copyright. The owner sells own product so that's ok.
- intellectual property. Nobody owns the common (as in high school level as opposed to graduate studies) knowledge
- There are notes online in many places
- Noone is doing your work for you. It's like saying can I buy a different textbook than the one prescribed well no one is stopping you.

• Like 1

I stumbled on a website where you can buy notes for Psychology, from a student who scored a 7. These notes are sold as essay plans and studies for the entire Core of Psychology and I think that I might be interested in purchasing them.

Is this considered allowed as long as I don't plagiarise? I am unsure and I would not like to commit any academic malpractice.

Thanks.

Personally I think you shouldn't waste your money to buy notes from students (even though they got 7). First there are plenty of IB notes everywhere around the internet. You can get tonnes of materials just by a few hours of searching on google. Secondly, notes from a student are usually taken using that student's own method of study (which might be very different from yours). I myself made study guides and then posted them online for free, but I know that very few people would actually benefit from it, because my study method and the way of understanding things are so different from other students. That's why I often tell people to take notes for themselves. Studying without taking notes by ourselves is very ineffective, and would definitely lead to lack of understanding. So my advice is: read your textbook, and take notes by yourself! Now, if you still want to buy notes to use as help materials, then I would recommend you to buy official IB study guides published by popular publishers (like OSC guide, or Oxford guide) instead. These are expensive I know, but they are way more useful compared to notes from students. In fact, a friend of mine used the OSC guide as his "textbook", and still got 7 for history. These guides don't only summarize the materials in a very structured and organized way, but also provide useful tips for the exams.

• Like 3

to me it seems extremely immoral to sell notes that didn't cost you anything to make but to each their own.

Why do you think it's immoral, out of curiosity? It cost this person time and effort, probably also the cost of textbooks they used. You could also say it costs your doctor nothing to provide you with medical advice or a lawyer with legal advice. And if there's demand for such a service, why not fulfil it with notes you already have anyway? 

• Like 4