Homosexuality and Homophobia

King112

Religiously it is.

I think we need to have some critical thinking and make our own judgement, and not just blindly follow the bible. Religiously, you cannot get married twice, or have tattoos, or women cannot speak in church, we cannot play american football, or wear polyester, or have Round haircuts or trimming your beard or Divorce or eat cheeseburgers!!! 

With all the ridiculousness, maybe we should question what the bible says.

A question: do YOU think being gay is a sin? How can YOU justify it? Because all you have been doing is repeating (quoting) what the bible says. Argue your own point !! Dont just rely on the bible, because even though the bible is real for you, for some people it is just fictional. As I said, stop using bible to justify your hate towards gay people, because many religious people are gradually accepting homosexuality. 

I know a girl who has two dads and has suffered a lot (bullied/teased), she has her own reason to be against same sex marriage, and that I can understand. I would love to know YOUR reasons for hating gay people, not what the bible says.

Edited by Guest

All I can say is you guys are getting somewhere into my thinking, challenging my beliefs and thoughts but the problem here is I am not going to chance what I believe in and this means my views on gays will remain the same because if I rethink it through, I come to a rather narrow minded conclusion that I will not doubt or go against the scripture of the bible just because I want to be open-minded. I would not join a group of crooks who are bullying, teasing or beating people just because they are gay but if I am asked just like in this forum to share my views on homosexuality, then I will share what I truly believe in irrespective of whether its an Ib forum that promotes open mindedness or not.

And though you are right with the fact that this topic is politically correct, I don't really see why that would be wrong. 

What?! Do you even know what political correctness means?

Conforming to a particular sociopolitical ideology or point of view?  it kinda makes sense.

And though you are right with the fact that this topic is politically correct, I don't really see why that would be wrong. 

What?! Do you even know what political correctness means?

Political correctness (adjectivally, politically correct, commonly abbreviated to PC) is a term primarily used  to describe language, policies, or measures which are intended not to offend or disadvantage any particular group of people in society; in pejorative usage, those who use the term are generally implying that these policies are excessive. - here, quoted from Wikipedia.

What I mean by that is that offending others here isn't good, so what would that be that bad? We all are allowed to have our opinions, and I'm pretty sure that we aren't only politically correct here - we do in fact say what we think. Just because we don't use offensive words here (as in about homosexuals) doesn't mean we aren't saying what we think. 

We are going too off-topic right now.

All I can say is you guys are getting somewhere into my thinking, challenging my beliefs and thoughts but the problem here is I am not going to chance what I believe in and this means my views on gays will remain the same because if I rethink it through, I come to a rather narrow minded conclusion that I will not doubt or go against the scripture of the bible just because I want to be open-minded. I would not join a group of crooks who are bullying, teasing or beating people just because they are gay but if I am asked just like in this forum to share my views on homosexuality, then I will share what I truly believe in irrespective of whether its an Ib forum that promotes open mindedness or not.

It is ok. If that is what you believe in, then we should not debase your religion. BUT, please, take your time and rethink before you condemn another group of people, dont just do it because of the bible. You are an individual, and use your own ethical intuition !!!! Do not let the prejudices of the bible drown your own own inner voice.

Edited by Guest

You're doing just fine, Samim.

The trouble is that this topic has become so PC that if you depart from the approved (fashionable) ways of talking, you are likely to face plenty of rant and ad-hominems. Even if what you say is totally acceptable.  

So, though I may not agree with your opinions, I like that you come right out and say what you do in a straightforward way.  I think we need more of that in what has become an overly-sensitive, stiflingly predictable and heavily PC-patrolled topic. 

The real test of open-mindedness may be on the rest of us. Can we actually HEAR you; or are we too busy trying to convince you how wrong you are? 

Preach! I have the same feelings towards samim and his opinion.

Do I agree with what he says and believes? Absolutely not. But I sure as hell despise how people try to "initiate a debate/discussion", and as soon as an opinion pops up they don't agree with, it immediately turns to "You're religious. Religion is bad. God isn't real because you have no proof. You are ignorant.". The alternative often also seems to be to put a spin on the words someone else said to portray him in a light that best fits your own narrative.

I do however thank some of you for the amusing way you try to 'argue'.

I think there is a fine line there, and you are playing with it.

He thinks religion is real, we don't.  He thinks being gay is a sin, we don't. We then use examples and our preconceived concepts to convince him. It is that simple. Please do not blur the lines.

What is your amusing definition of arguing?  How can we improve our ways of arguing? (I do want to know)

I have never said he was ignorant lol. :)

Edited by Guest

What I mean by that is that offending others here isn't good

That is not what political correctness means... A topic cannot be "politically correct"

there are some definitions for political correctness.....    google is your buddy :) I don't want to type all of them.

Edited by Guest

I think there is a fine line there, and you are playing with it.

He thinks religion is real, we don't.  He thinks being gay is a sin, we don't. We then use examples and our preconceived concepts to convince him. It is that simple. Please do not blur the lines.

What is your amusing definition of arguing?  How can we improve our ways of arguing? (I do want to know)

I have never said he was ignorant lol. :)

there are some definitions for political correctness.....    google is your buddy :) I don't want to type all of them.

You never said samim was ignorant? Umm... I think you did, "buddy". ("It is not a sin, but there are always some ignorant people like you")

And still a topic cannot be politically correct.

I didn't say I had an "amusing definition of arguing", but merely that what some of the people in this forum consider arguing/debating/discussing seems like a farce. Enjoyable to observe nonetheless...

My bad haha. ja you are right. Can't remember what I typed yesterday. I was associating him with racism. 

A topic can be politically correct but this topic is not. 

It is easy to sit on the fence like you but you get somewhat emotional when you participate in the debate lol. and "Farce" is not the word that you should use. This debate is not even close to that.

Edited by Guest

A topic can be politically correct but this topic is not. 

Do you think homophobia is ignorant? or do you think people can have their own opinions even though it ensues sufferings of others? I think it is ignorant, and it is easy to sit on the fence like you but you get somewhat emotional when you participate in the debate lol.

1) A topic cannot be politically correct. Language, a policy or a way in which someone acts can be.

2) Do I think homophobia is ignorant? To a certain extent yes. Homophobia is an irrational fear of homosexuals/homosexuality. Is that ignorant? Yeah, sort of at least.

3) Do I think people can have their own opinions even though it ensues sufferings of others? Yes absolutely, simply because "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". I definitely don't agree with a lot of opinions, but would I dare to try to prevent someone from stating those opinions? What year do you think it is? Should the thought police go after people who commit thoughtcrimes in order to ensure no one is offended?

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/politically-correct

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/politically+correct

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/politically-correct

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/politically-correct

see for yourself   :)

2, agree

3, That is twisting my words - "prevent someone from stating those opinions" (baseless insinuation). To my recollection, I never stop anyone from stating their opinions. To all my endeavor, I was merely challenge his point of view and saying he should not internalize the whole idea of homophobia, as well as suggesting that he should keep his own prejudices to himself. Just because you can say anything, doesn't mean you should. ** The connection between my act and your imaginary thought police is just tenuous. 

Edited by Guest

Guys, stop arguing what political correctness is and isn't, or start a separate topic, if you think it's that interesting. 

I'd like to remind you that if anyone feels they are being personally attacked by someone, and I do mean attacked, not that someone disagrees with you, please report it to the moderating team and we will deal with it. It applies to all topics, not just this one. Also, if you think a certain post is in any way inappropriate/offensive/breaks forum rules, report it and we will have a look. 

On the topic:  I personally think homosexuality is the most normal thing, same way as heterosexuality. It's not a fad, or a new thing, there have been gay people throughout centuries. It's just the way some people are and can't really change it. However, some people don't understand/accept it. It makes me sad, but I can't do anything about it. Also, if they're not throwing stones/beating up/calling names etc etc at gay people, just hold a belief in their head, then what is the real harm? Even if they express their opinion in a calm, measured manner, it still doesn't harm anyone. 

Honestly, this is an extremely sensitive topic in this day and age, especially since it's now legal in a lot of places, including the entirety of the U.S., and knowing this country's influential power, no doubt several other countries will begin tolerating and legalizing gay marriage. Now more than ever is it important to realize that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's okay to be homophobic, as it is to be homosexual. As such, people must be aware that whether or not they support homosexuality, it is a part of reality they must choose to acceptregardless of orientation.

Because I really want to stress this point, I will repeat: People are entitled to their own opinions. The homophobic must be tolerated the same way homosexuals are, and likewise must be treated with equal justice. I am not against homosexuality nor for it; I've built a neutrality towards the idea. My point is that, all things considered, it shouldn't matter. What a person feels about homosexuality doesn't make the person. Homosexuals are not trashing the Earth any more than homophobes are. In all honesty, much of the reason I'm not for homosexuality or homophobia is because both sides are entitled to believe that their opinions are more right than the others', though many are unaware. As a third person on the sidelines, I've seen enough to be able to voice this confidently.

I may have dug myself a grave on that last part, actually. There are more important things to focus on rather than whether a man loves men or women (or if a woman loves women or men). If people have time to justify their own opinions over one of the more trivial conflicts on Earth, make time to think of everything else that is happening; destitution, desperation, dictation, war, suffering, men leaving homes to protect their families, men leaving homes to run away, fatherless children, motherless children, etc. and think: What is it that matters, and what do I think matters?

I'm not trying to be the "social justice warrior" or the "saving grace" or the "voice," nor am I saying to ditch the idea of homosexuality and homophobia altogether; I'm just saying there's no point in conflictual occurrences over this idea... Just as long as people don't lose focus over the things that matter.

• Like 3

I don't really care about homosexuality. I think I was desensitized from anime and fanfiction,

I thought I was bi for a while, but now I just don't really think much about it. I'm more concerned of my studies and my hobbies than caring about which gender people prefer when they love another individual.

My family and I don't particularly talk about it either, but I hope they're not homophobic because in my opinion, people should be to love whichever gender of people they want without being terribly criticized.

• Like 3