Homosexuality and Homophobia

King112

Haven't reserched anything so what I said could be utter nonsense. However its my opinion, so I am not trying to prove anything but simply stating what I think.

Nonetheless, I do remember that the Biological purpose of life is to reproduce (this is something we learned in biology) which is why it struck me that if biologically we are meant to reproduce then like I said it should be with the opposite genders.

If you dont agree its ok, thats your opinion.I cant stop you from calling my religion a tale,even though I know its not.

No, it is not the purpose of life, it is one of the functions of life. (IB biology oxford university press page 8) So you are saying the mere reason that you hate gay people is that they cannot reproduce? Well, many straight people are genetically infertile, do you hate them? (It shouldn't concern you anyway...) It seems to me that you are just using it as an excuse to rationalize your selfish act.

There are many purposes in life, and loving one another is a big one. People with religion background should know better. I learnt a lot from my religion (I was a christian), but it dawned on me that I should not listen to a random guy (GOD), whom I have never met/seen, and who let his own children live under oppression and inferiority just because they are gay. (My friend is gay and christian and she used to cry every night  cuz she thought god hated her). If Religion is the reason for the suffering of millions of people, whether it is a tale or not, I refuse to extol it.  

What did they do to you? and what you are doing to them?

he never said he hates gay people. he just said that he doesnt agree with the whole idea of homosexuality.

Maybe you should check out the definition of homophoic ? and re-read all his comments?

quote "I am somewhat homophobic" , and quote "biologically and religiously unacceptable" 

quote".I become homophobic when I hear the idea of men loving each other.."

quote"gayness has never been something I understand because I just think its wrong"

quote"If i mentionned THAT i grew up in a very religious setting were my whole family is relious...thismay be the reason y I am very against it"

and more..

If he merely doesn't agree with their lifestyle, then he should't use adj like wrong, unacceptable, homophobic. it is clear to me that he is not extremely homophobic but think about how gay people would feel after being told that they are not "natural"(quote from him).  What if I tell you you are not biologically acceptable? I find it offensive.  (I dont think you are biologically unacceptable :P)  And for me, what makes it despicable is that he equates homophobia to religion, which is simply not true. Using religion to fuel homophobia is just wrong and you know it.

Edited by Guest

Haven't reserched anything so what I said could be utter nonsense. However its my opinion, so I am not trying to prove anything but simply stating what I think.

Nonetheless, I do remember that the Biological purpose of life is to reproduce (this is something we learned in biology) which is why it struck me that if biologically we are meant to reproduce then like I said it should be with the opposite genders.

If you dont agree its ok, thats your opinion.I cant stop you from calling my religion a tale,even though I know its not.

No, it is not the purpose of life, it is one of the functions of life. (IB biology oxford university press page 8) So you are saying the mere reason that you hate gay people is that they cannot reproduce? Well, many straight people are genetically infertile, do you hate them? (It shouldn't concern you anyway...) It seems to me that you are just using it as an excuse to rationalize your selfish act.

There are many purposes in life, and loving one another is a big one. People with religion background should know better. I learnt a lot from my religion (I was a christian), but it dawned on me that I should not listen to a random guy (GOD), whom I have never met/seen, and who let his own children live under oppression and inferiority just because they are gay. (My friend is gay and christian and she used to cry every night  cuz she thought god hated her). If Religion is the reason for the suffering of millions of people, whether it is a tale or not, I refuse to extol it.  

he never said he hates gay people. he just said that he doesnt agree with the whole idea of homosexuality.

Maybe you should check out the definition of homophoic ? and re-read all his comments?

quote "I am somewhat homophobic" , and quote "biologically and religiously unacceptable" 

quote"gayness has never been something I understand because I just think its wrong"

quote"If i mentionned THAT i grew up in a very religious setting were my whole family is relious...thismay be the reason y I am very against it"

and more..

If he merely doesn't agree with their lifestyle, then he should't use adj like wrong, unacceptable, homophobic. it is clear to me that he is not extremely homophobic but think about how gay people would feel after being told that they are not "natural"(quote from him).  What if I tell you you are not biologically acceptable? I find it offensive.  (I dont think you are biologically unacceptable :P)  And for me, what makes it despicable is that he equates homophobia to religion, which is simply not true. Using religion to fuel homophobia is just wrong and you know it.

well OP did ask for peoples opinions on homosexuality. he just happened to have an opposing opinion to the majority of people on this thread and it seemed like he stated his opinion as politely as he could.

• Like 2

and more..

well OP did ask for peoples opinions on homosexuality. he just happened to have an opposing opinion to the majority of people on this thread and it seemed like he stated his opinion as politely as he could.

That is a weird definition of polite and, OP also asked for my opinion so I voice out mine? Ist't it the whole point of a thread? encouraging debates and exchange of ideas? So he could make some ignoble homophobic comments and you are telling me I cannot challenge his preconceived notion about homosexuality?  

But really now I can't even be bothered to dignify his comments ...(it has been like 3 days..) They are not worth my time. so, here you go. The end of discussion. You are of course, free to say whatever you want. (I don't stop people from expressing themselves, unlike you). BUT just don't get me involved. I have my TOK essay lol :P :P

Edited by Guest

There are many purposes in life, and loving one another is a big one. People with religion background should know better. I learnt a lot from my religion (I was a christian), but it dawned on me that I should not listen to a random guy (GOD), whom I have never met/seen, and who let his own children live under oppression and inferiority just because they are gay. (My friend is gay and christian and she used to cry every night cuz she thought god hated her). If Religion is the reason for the suffering of millions of people, whether it is a tale or not, I refuse to extol it.

I am starting to feel like this thread was established to only listen to one opinion. I am sorry to offend anyone with my rather different opinion, but I never said I hate anybody so I dont get why I have been asked to answer a question on what gay people have done to me. I dont have gays!

I was just stating my opinion that is simply that I am against the whole idea of homosexuality. Moreover, even if christianity to the rest of you is tale (unfortunately), that is my religion and I abide by its rules. Homosexuality happens to be a sin, which is why I had used my religion to emphasize my opinion. There is no need to start ranting at me, I didnt start attacking anyone in particular cause they re gay or agnostic.

Taking religion aside, my opinion still remains the same. Lastly, what am I doing to gays?

A peculiar question....but simple to answer....I am doing absolutely nothing apart from saying my opinion in a lopsided thread that was clearly created for one opinion, that "gays should be".....I dont need to complete the quote, you already now the rest since this thread is so against distinctive opinions.

I completely agree with you - I actually did my TOK Presentation on homosexual and transgender marriages, which I have to say was super difficult to not be biased in, haha. I honestly cannot comprehend why people would have an issue with this - what other people do in their bedrooms really does NOT concern you. If you feel uncomfortable around homosexuals, just bugger off and find someone else to spend time with, it's really none of their business. I think homophobia is not really a thing - it's more like feeling unsure about a group of the population because they're different and you don't know how to handle it.

I am starting to feel like this thread was established to only listen to one opinion. I am sorry to offend anyone with my rather different opinion, but I never said I hate anybody so I dont get why I have been asked to answer a question on what gay people have done to me. I dont have gays!

I was just stating my opinion that is simply that I am against the whole idea of homosexuality. Moreover, even if christianity to the rest of you is tale (unfortunately), that is my religion and I abide by its rules. Homosexuality happens to be a sin, which is why I had used my religion to emphasize my opinion. There is no need to start ranting at me, I didnt start attacking anyone in particular cause they re gay or agnostic.

Taking religion aside, my opinion still remains the same. Lastly, what am I doing to gays?

A peculiar question....but simple to answer....I am doing absolutely nothing apart from saying my opinion in a lopsided thread that was clearly created for one opinion, that "gays should be".....I dont need to complete the quote, you already now the rest since this thread is so against distinctive opinions.

This thread is open to all opinions, but you are not. As I said early, this thread encourages debates and discussions, and it is what we have been doing. No one attacked you. I accept your opinion, BUT I am just sharing mine and saying that you should not threat gay people differently. It is that simple. So please do not put words into my month because I am doing the exact same thing as what you have been doing.

Also, when you say you don't "hate" gay people, it is just a game of semantics. I think you can disagree with their lifestyle but you have no right to say they are "biologically unacceptable". or "it is a sin". I am sure most people can feel more or less some hate from those sentences. (Do you know what a sin is? It is quite serious.) So too late to pretend that you have no hate towards gay people.

No one ever stops you from commenting, so you should not stop us from challenging your ideas. Maybe you think saying "homosexuality is unacceptable" is just your opinion, but it is very hurtful to many. What if I debased your race / religion / sex ? Would you just let me BS? The real test of the First Amendment, is whether we can stand out to for ideas that we hate. And here I am.

P.S. homophobia is still the mainstream, and I genuinely wish your comments were "distinct". They are not.

I completely agree with you - I actually did my TOK Presentation on homosexual and transgender marriages, which I have to say was super difficult to not be biased in, haha. I honestly cannot comprehend why people would have an issue with this - what other people do in their bedrooms really does NOT concern you. If you feel uncomfortable around homosexuals, just bugger off and find someone else to spend time with, it's really none of their business. I think homophobia is not really a thing - it's more like feeling unsure about a group of the population because they're different and you don't know how to handle it.

haha agree with whom?

Tok on homosexuality and transgender wow. :P It must be very interesting lol :) How was it?

Edited by Guest

Ok so even when you didn't explicitly say that you hated gays, you did say it was biologically and religiously unacceptable. You're still dehumanizing them and seeing them as a completely different group of people. How would you react if you found out one of your friends was gay? Would you simply tell them it's wrong? Would you not be able to fully accept them for who they are? Even if you say you're not going to isolate them or act out against them in violent, inhumane ways, there is still that part of you that will never fully accept who they are and that would still hurt. Why not just accept who someone is as a person? Yes, we are all entitled to have opinions, but everyone is also entitled to love whoever they choose and they are also entitled to be free from discrimination regardless of their sexual orientation. 

The original poster :-)

It was pretty good - I got 8/10 marks, because I didn't get as far down in the TOK as they would have liked, but my arguments were clear and well selected. 

nice I got 8/10 on my presentation as well :D 

haha agree with whom? 

Tok on homosexuality and transgender wow. :P  It must be very interesting lol :)  How was it?

It was pretty good - I got 8/10 marks, because I didn't get as far down in the TOK as they would have liked, but my arguments were clear and well selected. 

haha agree with whom? 

Tok on homosexuality and transgender wow. :P  It must be very interesting lol :)  How was it?

Haha, cool :P i am happy for you. But now TOK essay is the killer @_@ haha

Other viewpoints are perfectly fine, but why are you so very offended when yours are challenged?

When someone questions my opinions I am glad, because I get to present my arguments for my opinions, and maybe also see the other viewpoint. There shouldn't be things that cannot be questioned; opinions always develop, and knowing other side and having to think about reasons behind those opinions only makes us more aware. Sometimes opinions are silly, and when given more knowledge they will change. That is solely good thing. Similar principle applies to knowledge, most accurate knowledge will stand the test of time.

So why wouldn't you present us some real arguments, because "I feel like it's not right and gays feel disgusting" is as real argument as "I feel like you aren't doing right thing because you are wearing white shirt on your profile picture and I feel like you are a disgusting person". Of course if you want to leave us to think that is really your best argument then please do.

Nor does any other collection of rules but law hold any relevance when judging between right and wrong for anyone but certain individuals who want to believe in other kinds of rules such as religions, but those people cannot spread their reach outside the followers of said ideology (and in my personal opinion religions evil influence makes normal people feel abnormal, as not everyone chooses to join religion but majority are raised to it). However, albeit those raised to religion might also suffer very least christians could keep their judgements to other christians. (I am not referring to you with this one, since on debate forums its fine to say opinion, but christians even try to influence political environment against gay people). In the end, if bible is true god is a mass murderer. Sounds like totally reliable source of moral guidelines.

• Like 1

I don't agree that this thread was created to listen to only one opinion. All I've observed so far is that there are clearly many more people not being homophobic compared to those who are. And that's why you feel like what you're saying is being attacked by everyone. But really it's just because you're on the 'losing' side.

Here you make it seem like you're just simply stating an opinion. But in this case, I think there's only a blurred line between "against the whole idea of homosexuality" and "discriminating against homosexuals". What have you done to gays? Isn't that quite clear from your saying that "homosexuality happens to be a sin"?

Let me point out here that homosexuality is not an idea (or an ideology), it's a behaviour of not only some people but many people in the world as well (of course, many of them are afraid to come out because they're oppressed by the society). Take love, for example, can you force yourself to love the food that you don't like? Can you force yourself to love somebody that you absolutely hate (let's say Hitler, for example)? Or can you make yourself hate your parents despite many good things they have done for you? I guess the answer here is no, simply because love is an emotion that you can't really control. Similar to this, people who are homosexual just simply happen to be attracted to those of similar sex; this is a behavior, rather than an "idea". Besides, it has been known in biology that homosexuality passes on from generation to generation (i.e. it's genetically heritable), we just don't yet know how.

What I'm trying to point out here is that since homosexuality is a behavior that is somewhat 'inherent' to many individuals, if you say that you are against homosexuality, then I would see that as a form of discrimination. In fact, that's just the same as the way black people were discriminated by the whites. I mean, we all agree that it's an act of discrimination to say that "being black is a sin", then why do you use such word to describe those who are homosexuals?

On a side note which have nothing to do with this discussion, I'd like to make a bit of a contrast between the issue of homosexuality and the issue of religion. While homosexuality is a behavior rather than an idea, religion is the complete opposite. Religion is an ideology! So I believe that criticizing religion is totally an acceptable thing to do; on the other hand, criticizing homosexuality should seriously be considered as an act of discrimination. But anyways, that should be an entirely different discussion!

Edited by Vioh
  • Like 3

Let me point out here that homosexuality is not an idea (or an ideology), it's a behaviour or not only some people but many people in the world as well (of course, many of them are afraid to come out because they're oppressed by the society). Take love, for example, can you force yourself to love the food that you don't like? Can you force yourself to love somebody that you absolutely hate (let's say Hitler, for example)? Or can you make yourself hate your parents despite many good things they have done for you? I guess the answer here is no, simply because love is an emotion that you can't really control. Similar to this, people who are homosexual just simply happen to be attracted to those of similar sex; this is a behavior, rather than an "idea". Besides, it has been known in biology that homosexuality passes on from generation to generation (i.e. it's genetically heritable), we just don't yet know how.

To add something, a real-life example, I can say that two of my three siblings are also homosexual - and we live in two totally different environment (they were born and raised in America, I was born in Poland). We share the same parent, which can probably be the reason for that.

And samim, I feel like you totally misunderstood what we were all trying to tell/ show you. It's a debate and we are here indeed to challenge each other's ideas - that's kinda the whole point. So far we have been open to your opinion and all we are trying to do is expand your horizons to new ideas. You've been very defensive and only got offended in the end, which shows that you were unwilling to hear other opinions since the beginning.

We are not here to simply say how awful you are for saying what you say - we just want you to comprehend the facts that a) saying homosexuality is a sin does offend a lot of people (I know homosexual christians so saying that religion is against it isn't a point here - especially when religion itself is an ideology), and b) homosexuality is something biologically natural, and has been already proven not to be "a lifestyle". 

You don't have to accept it, we cannot force you to. But being offended by people trying to show you something from their perspective which is against your beliefs is just not something that an IB student be doing - you are meant to be an open-minded person. At least let us show you our perspective, and who knows, it might even change your mind!

Ps. The arguments you stated can be disproven with even this one link: http://www.mamamia.com.au/arguments-against-gay-marriage/

• Like 1

This thread is open to all opinions, but you are not. As I said early, this thread encourages debates and discussions, and it is what we have been doing. No one attacked you. I accept your opinion, BUT I am just sharing mine and saying that you should not threat gay people differently. It is that simple. So please do not put words into my month because I am doing the exact same thing as what you have been doing.

Also, when you say you don't "hate" gay people, it is just a game of semantics. I think you can disagree with their lifestyle but you have no right to say they are "biologically unacceptable". or "it is a sin". I am sure most people can feel more or less some hate from those sentences. (Do you know what a sin is? It is quite serious.) So too late to pretend that you have no hate towards gay people.

No one ever stops you from commenting, so you should not stop us from challenging your ideas. Maybe you think saying "homosexuality is unacceptable" is just your opinion, but it is very hurtful to many. What if I debased your race / religion / sex ? Would you just let me BS? The real test of the First Amendment, is whether we can stand out to for ideas that we hate. And here I am.

P.S. homophobia is still the mainstream, and I genuinely wish your comments were "distinct". They are not.

I don't agree that this thread was created to listen to only one opinion. All I've observed so far is that there are clearly many more people not being homophobic compared to those who are. And that's why you feel like what you're saying is being attacked by everyone. But really it's just because you're on the 'losing' side.

Here you make it seem like you're just simply stating an opinion. But in this case, I think there's only a blurred line between "against the whole idea of homosexuality" and "discriminating against homosexuals". What have you done to gays? Isn't that quite clear from your saying that "homosexuality happens to be a sin"?

Let me point out here that homosexuality is not an idea (or an ideology), it's a behaviour of not only some people but many people in the world as well (of course, many of them are afraid to come out because they're oppressed by the society). Take love, for example, can you force yourself to love the food that you don't like? Can you force yourself to love somebody that you absolutely hate (let's say Hitler, for example)? Or can you make yourself hate your parents despite many good things they have done for you? I guess the answer here is no, simply because love is an emotion that you can't really control. Similar to this, people who are homosexual just simply happen to be attracted to those of similar sex; this is a behavior, rather than an "idea". Besides, it has been known in biology that homosexuality passes on from generation to generation (i.e. it's genetically heritable), we just don't yet know how.

What I'm trying to point out here is that since homosexuality is a behavior that is somewhat 'inherent' to many individuals, if you say that you are against homosexuality, then I would see that as a form of discrimination. In fact, that's just the same as the way black people were discriminated by the whites. I mean, we all agree that it's an act of discrimination to say that "being black is a sin", then why do you use such word to describe those who are homosexuals?

On a side note which have nothing to do with this discussion, I'd like to make a bit of a contrast between the issue of homosexuality and the issue of religion. While homosexuality is a behavior rather than an idea, religion is the complete opposite. Religion is an ideology! So I believe that criticizing religion is totally an acceptable thing to do; on the other hand, criticizing homosexuality should seriously be considered as an act of discrimination. But anyways, that should be an entirely different discussion!

Sorry but what did you just say? How is beingvs different race a sin....That is a terrible example cause being a certain race is not a sin even if people are against the race.

For the love of God, please stop quoting and not typing! Quote, and then type. One post! Not two!

Sorry but what did you just say? How is beingvs different race a sin....That is a terrible example cause being a certain race is not a sin even if people are against the race.

The point was people considered it a sin and discriminated. The whites believed that being black was a sin. But I think you missed the main point, which was that discrimination is wrong and your statement sounded like it was discriminatory. That was the point.
And see how I typed after quoting? Please do the same yourself.

• Like 2

Go google jim crow laws or racial discrimination. In the past, say 1960, being an african american was "deemed" to be a sin, like being gay. (It is not a sin, but there are always some ignorant people like you)  So do think a little bit deeper before criticizing that perfectly fine example. Don't embarrass yourself.

In China, many people still believe that being black means being dirty or unfortunate or inferior, like how most of us treat gay people. We should have some sympathy and put yourself in their shoes. 

Just because you can't accept something doesn't make it a sin. 

Edited by Guest

Religiously it is.

Fair enough. I just sincerely hope Christians keep these backwards-thinking ideas on themselves and don't try to condemn others for something that is totally fine outside certain belief systems. I also hope that Christians wouldnt try to indoctrinate people from young age, but that belonging to their religion would be 100% voluntary. That might be too much hoped thou, without systematiclly joining thousands of babies to religion and telling them the tale from the childhood the religion would become miniscule circle of dedicated followers in no time.

Why do Christians try to prevent gay marriage being legalized anyway, in many countries? Its not like Christian churches would need to inaugurate gays anyway if they don't want to, its just that they could be inaugurated by the state.

That Christian will to so much influence politics against certain people makes me see those organisations as solely harmful influence. And yet I cannot see why they need to spread their reach outside their own followers. According to you rest of us are going to hell anyway, so why you try to make gay people's life too living hell of discrimination. Of course atheists and followers of many religions don't believe in hell, so we don't fear it, but as you Christians of course are always right, then why isnt the eternal torment enough of punishment, but you want to spoil their time on the Earth too?

Edited by Emilia1320

Religiously it is.

Well, if you think so, and I know a lot of people do, then I guess it's fine. I obviously disagree with it completely, but I'm not religious in any way, shape or form. However, most (if not all) religions call for some level of tolerance, acceptance and love for other people (at least on paper). So although a religious person may think gay people are sinners, they should leave judging them up to God, not organise a tribunal on earth by discriminating, as it makes them sinners as well.

Live and let others live, is what I think we should all live by. After all, what does it matter if someone is gay, straight, trans, black, Asian, tattooed, an amputee, OCD-stricken etc etc etc? If they're a good person, they're a good person, it's that simple. They can also be a complete ******, in which case just don't spend time with them and let them be.

• Like 1

You're doing just fine, Samim.

The trouble is that this topic has become so PC that if you depart from the approved (fashionable) ways of talking, you are likely to face plenty of rant and ad-hominems. Even if what you say is totally acceptable.  

So, though I may not agree with your opinions, I like that you come right out and say what you do in a straightforward way.  I think we need more of that in what has become an overly-sensitive, stiflingly predictable and heavily PC-patrolled topic. 

The real test of open-mindedness may be on the rest of us. Can we actually HEAR you; or are we too busy trying to convince you how wrong you are? 

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 1

You're doing just fine, Samim.

The trouble is that this topic has become so PC that if you depart from the approved (fashionable) ways of talking, you are likely to face plenty of rant and ad-hominems. Even if what you say is totally acceptable.  

So, though I may not agree with your opinions, I like that you come right out and say what you do in a straightforward way.  I think we need more of that in what has become an overly-sensitive, stiflingly predictable and heavily PC-patrolled topic. 

The real test of open-mindedness may be on the rest of us. Can we actually HEAR you; or are we too busy trying to convince you how wrong you are? 

I did in fact mention that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it is not wrong for us to actually try and help him understand that sometimes opinions can in fact be harmful. And it doesn't have to relate to homosexuality at all - let's take even something as simple as shopping for example. When you do not like something you usually keep that to yourself, and you do not harm the other person (who bought the piece of clothing). 

Others might disagree with me, but I do hear him. I already previously stated that I'm glad he's against isolating gay people, and I understand that his religious beliefs make him dislike the homosexual community. Religion is something I personally don't understand, yet accept - that, as far as I know, is open-mindedness. I accept something that makes more-or-less no sense whatsoever to me, just because I know it's someone's part of everyday life - a part of their identity. Sexuality is a part of your identity as well, though you cannot change that. And I'd be damned if I didn't at least try to show my opinion on things to other people - because opinions might often change your mind. And it's not that we are all like "hurr durr f*ck off" because we bring reasonable arguments which actually try to bring some light on aspects of homosexuality he probably had never seen before. Especially when some of his arguments where simply wrong (e.g. how homosexuality is biologically incorrect).

And though you are right with the fact that this topic is politically correct, I don't really see why that would be wrong. In fact, I think it's good that more and more people are open-minded to the idea of same-sex marriage - so I don't really understand why that would be something bad. Homophobes simply seem to be in the minority on this forum, and since it's a Debate and Discussion thread, we are allowed to find contras for some arguments. After all, aren't we all supposed to learn something from this discussion? Or am I doing this all wrong?

Sorry, I might have gone a bit off-topic here. 

Edited by mac117
  • Like 1