Extended Essay

Survival Robot

@ HMSchocolate: I LOVE your EE topic (ok, you've gone through that stuff quite a while ago... but I had to say that...I'm fantasy-addicted...)

my EE doesn't exist yet... however I'm going to compare the development of arnold shoenberg's music style to kandinsky's paintings. the problem is that this topic does not really fit into a subject... but never mind, I will try to focus a bit more on the musical aspect... my supervisor said it would work out somehow, and the topic is really really interesting.

ps. anyone else doing an extended essay in a subject he/she doesn't have as IB-subject???

I STRONGLY suggest you do not write an EE that cannot be classified directly into a subject but merges over 2 subjects. They do penalise you heavily for it!! Make it so it irrefutably fits into a specific subject, just to be safe. IF the examiner decides your essay doesn't fit into the subject that it's categorised under then you lose a hell of a lot of marks. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest parthtrivedi

i am doing my EE in chemistry...i want to know how to measure the browning in apples...i want to know how we can quantitatively measure the browning or the rate of browning in apples??

PLEASE HELP!!!

Guest andthepandasays

Hi, hi, I'm new here and drowning in an IB overload... I've been meaning to work on my EE since April.. but now that it's due in a month, I finally seem to be getting around to it. Right now my idea for my topic (History) is...

How has British imperialism socially and economically affected the nations of South Africa, India, and Australia?

So that question is probably terrible (I have about 5 different variations somewhere...). Aany suggestions? Really what I'm looking to write about is the social and economic effects of British imperialism on these countries and sort of do a compare/contrast, maybe concluding on what was good/bad about British involvement in said nations. Does that make any sense at all!

Cheers!

Hi, hi, I'm new here and drowning in an IB overload... I've been meaning to work on my EE since April.. but now that it's due in a month, I finally seem to be getting around to it. Right now my idea for my topic (History) is...

How has British imperialism socially and economically affected the nations of South Africa, India, and Australia?

So that question is probably terrible (I have about 5 different variations somewhere...). Aany suggestions? Really what I'm looking to write about is the social and economic effects of British imperialism on these countries and sort of do a compare/contrast, maybe concluding on what was good/bad about British involvement in said nations. Does that make any sense at all!

Cheers!

I'm working on a similar topic (How did the Opium Wars’ impact on China’s economy affect the country politically and ideologically?)

What I did was I gave an intro, a brief background on the reasons and effects of the wars (so in your case, you would give some brief background information about when Britain colonized those nations and why), then I outlined the state of China's economy before the wars, followed by the state of China's economy after the war. Then I linked the economic problems to the political problems, again, first describing China's state before the war, then how the economic problems caused a change in China's political system and what was China's political system like after the wars. I did the same thing with ideology.

After all that, I brought everything together in the conclusion.

In your case perhaps you should focus in either social or economic effects of the three nations, or, talk about the social or economic effects of 2 nations instead of 3 because I think 3 is a little much.

In the first case, you would talk about the social or economic effects of each country individually and then bring everything together in the conclusion or in a seperate paragraph before the conclusion.

In the second case, you would talk about the economic effects in one country, then compare it to the second. Then discuss the social effects and compare it with the second country. In the end, you'll bring together both social and economic effects to give a general idea of the countries' living conditions and then based on that, you can then talk about if British colonization was a good thing or not.

These are just a few ideas off the top of my head. I don't know if they even make sense =P

i am doing my EE in chemistry...i want to know how to measure the browning in apples...i want to know how we can quantitatively measure the browning or the rate of browning in apples??

PLEASE HELP!!!

I'm not sure if this will work (I'm not that great at chem) but maybe cut apple cubes of different sizes (and therefore different surface areas) and try to measure the amount of time it takes for each cube to brown.. this is assuming that browning of apples would be affected by a change in surface area......

Edited by cixelsyD

Guest andthepandasays
I'm working on a similar topic (How did the Opium Wars’ impact on China’s economy affect the country politically and ideologically?)

What I did was I gave an intro, a brief background on the reasons and effects of the wars (so in your case, you would give some brief background information about when Britain colonized those nations and why), then I outlined the state of China's economy before the wars, followed by the state of China's economy after the war. Then I linked the economic problems to the political problems, again, first describing China's state before the war, then how the economic problems caused a change in China's political system and what was China's political system like after the wars. I did the same thing with ideology.

After all that, I brought everything together in the conclusion.

In your case perhaps you should focus in either social or economic effects of the three nations, or, talk about the social or economic effects of 2 nations instead of 3 because I think 3 is a little much.

In the first case, you would talk about the social or economic effects of each country individually and then bring everything together in the conclusion or in a seperate paragraph before the conclusion.

In the second case, you would talk about the economic effects in one country, then compare it to the second. Then discuss the social effects and compare it with the second country. In the end, you'll bring together both social and economic effects to give a general idea of the countries' living conditions and then based on that, you can then talk about if British colonization was a good thing or not.

Wow, these are great ideas; thank you so much! I am going to mull over them a bit. I agree that three may be too many, especially since, on top of all this, I wanted to go a bit into how the UK has been affected by its imperialism in other countries (for example, immigration rates).

im in my first year of IB so i havent exactly started yet :/ but im doing it in English (A1) and probably gonna do harry potter or something, my english teacher probably wont like it, but meh

Wow, these are great ideas; thank you so much! I am going to mull over them a bit. I agree that three may be too many, especially since, on top of all this, I wanted to go a bit into how the UK has been affected by its imperialism in other countries (for example, immigration rates).

No problem. Glad I can be of help =)

im in my first year of IB so i havent exactly started yet :/ but im doing it in English (A1) and probably gonna do harry potter or something, my english teacher probably wont like it, but meh

Hien (HMSChocolate) did her on harry potter. I'm sure She'd be more than happy to share some ideas

His? His?????

I hope this is a typo, Laura. :P Do I look like a guy to you?

:)

OOPS LOL MY BAD.. Ya, it was a typo >_< Sry!

Haha. :D

oh and you thought it was confusing when me and charlie did this! you've done it yourself now :D -~Lc~

We're not having a conversation with a dozen edits like you and Charlie were...

The irony of what I just said is that by saying it, I'm starting a conversation... :D

LoL I'm enjoying this though :D

Edited by cixelsyD
Kidding...maybe....

Guest qzstuffs

i haven't started tok yet, but i want to have a good idea of what i want to do. i guess i want to analyze how the two music style [symphonic vs choral] contribute to the same mood of the music? idk if it sounds good. i guess i have to ask my orch teacher [who's in charge of IB music :P ] does this topic sound good?

Hi everyone, Im new here. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas for books for an English Extended Essay? I know i'm rather late, what with the final draft due before winter break, but I'm really stuck as to getting started. :) Thanks :D

I honestly have no idea; I haven't even got a book to worth with yet, let alone a topic! I was thinking of the Great Gatsby, but the concept of the American Dream doesn't really appeal to me :lol:

I honestly have no idea; I haven't even got a book to worth with yet, let alone a topic! I was thinking of the Great Gatsby, but the concept of the American Dream doesn't really appeal to me :D

Well...start looking then. It's not about to appear in front of you. :lol:

Seriously though, you should start looking around to see what you want to do. Either you have the books and try to find a topic on them or you have the topic and try to find a book on it. Then we can help you if you have trouble. But when you've got neither, to be perfectly honest it's kind of hard for us to help...

I honestly have no idea; I haven't even got a book to worth with yet, let alone a topic! I was thinking of the Great Gatsby, but the concept of the American Dream doesn't really appeal to me ^_^

oh I did my presentation in the first year about Great Gatsby! :D you could take that book, you have a lot of material for new ideas and it's easy to think about the topic :) and yeax,we cannot help you a lot if you don't know about what are u going to talk about :innocent:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SuperDuperTimmy

I was thinking about doing it in the Importance in Prime Numbers in Public-Key Cryptography and the implications of finding a a solution that reduces a number to its prime components ;)

Guest liquidblot

im in the first year of the IB programme, and im pretty new to this, but what worries me is the topic for my extended essay ...

i was thinking about doing something related to science(physics) and cars, does any have any ideas??

I'm doing my EE in history: To what extent did the Berlin Blockade increase tension in the Cold War?

Seems pretty broad to me... any feedback?

try "How did the [enter cause here] cause of the Berlin Blockade increase tension in the Cold War?"

And also "tension" might be a little broad.. try something more specific than just 'tension'

hey! i'm doing history EE "To what extent is Mussolini to blame for his overthrow in 1943?" But now it seems a lot too broad. any help?

Try 'to what extent is Mussolini's ____ policy to blame for Mussolini's overthrow in 1943"

Like narrow in on one of Mussolini's mistakes. To write about them all is too much.

im in the first year of the IB programme, and im pretty new to this, but what worries me is the topic for my extended essay ...

i was thinking about doing something related to science(physics) and cars, does any have any ideas??

That's much too broad for a topic.. there are many things you can do with a car in physics. Keep in mind though that many science EEs want an experiment (I think o.O).

Edited by cixelsyD