Is online education really worth it?

mac117

Hello fellow (future) IB students!

I know this question might seem kind of random especially when people who started IB have only few days left before their options are locked, whereas the ones starting IB next year (like me) still have tons of time to choose their subjects.... But let me explain ;)

Few days ago I came across an old post where someone recommended Pamojaeducation.com to another student. Now this seems like a really good option, their passing rate is higher than the global one, so here's my question.

Is it really a nice experience? Are the $2000 spent on the online course really worth it? This could solve my issue and I wouldn't have to change schools to be able to take the course I want to take. So, any experiences with pamoja or any other online course provider? If so, please describe your experience.

I need to send my application for other schools til the 21st of October, therefore help would be much appreciated!

Sincerely,

A confused future IB student.

Ps. The course I'm interested in taking is psychology SL. I want to pursue a medical career in the future, and probably get a bachelor degree in psychology. That's why I want to see whether psychology is something for me.

Also, please don't make the cost of the course the main reason for why it's not worth taking the online course. There's scholarships and I have funds to pay for most of it saved.

Edited by mac117

I'm currently in my second year of taking Spanish B on Pamoja since I wasn't able to take any of my school's language options. If you're really interested in the course and it's your only opportunity to take it then I would highly recommend it. It requires a lot more self-motivation than a typical course would as you're completely in charge of managing your time and completing the tasks but you definitely get as much support as you would in a traditional classroom. The teachers are great at giving detailed feedback and supporting you throughout the course. The only thing I really hate doing is group work, which is essential in Spanish B to do interactive orals, so I assume it would be less common in psychology.

If you any specific questions about Pamoja, please do not hesitate to contact me!

• Like 2

So apparently there is no staff member to supervise my work if I took the course online, which gives me the option of changing schools or fighting for the right to do the course online.

Does anyone know whether a school can disagree with a student's subject choices (even if he still would have a full diploma)?

I know few people who didn't take psychology as a subject in IB, but still went to universities to major in Psychology. You don't need to take it unless you're absolutely certain that Psychology is necessary for the University where you're applying to.

It's not that I need it, but I want to see whether it's something k would like to later do at university level. That's why Pamoja seemed like a great opportunity and my school is against it. This leaves me with only the two options: fight or change schools. My parents are leaniant towards a school in Munich yet I feel very comfortable in this school. That's the issue :/

Hzve

I know few people who didn't take psychology as a subject in IB, but still went to universities to major in Psychology. You don't need to take it unless you're absolutely certain that Psychology is necessary for the University where you're applying to.

It's not that I need it, but I want to see whether it's something k would like to later do at university level. That's why Pamoja seemed like a great opportunity and my school is against it. This leaves me with only the two options: fight or change schools. My parents are leaniant towards a school in Munich yet I feel very comfortable in this school. That's the issue :/

Have you considering taking a psych course outside of IB? for example at a local university or college? Possibly in the summer or night school? I really think psychology is one of those courses where you have to have a certain extent of engagement with other students and staff.

Have you considering taking a psych course outside of IB? for example at a local university or college? Possibly in the summer or night school? I really think psychology is one of those courses where you have to have a certain extent of engagement with other students and staff.

There is a university in the city where my school is, but they do not have open days. There are some courses but you need to be at least 18 years old to do them, which has no point in this situation…

I'm really frustrated as of now, for I really don't understand what the school could have against me taking an online class. I understand the fear that I won't pass yet it is the same risk when you're attending a regular class.

I really enjoy the subject, the factors that go into that subject. Looking at the syllabus there was nothing that I think would be boring, even if a very "deep" analysis would be required…

I thought taking the course online as a certificate could work, but the workload might be too much to handle.

Edited by mac117

• 7 months later...

In my school they have the Blended Learning Programme which basically means you'll take 4 or more subjects online with pamoja and the rest face to face with a school teacher. I take Maths SL, Bio SL, English Lit HL and Psych HL in Pamoja and to be completely honest it is probably the best decision I took (apart from the Maths course, that one I hate) the teachers are extremely helpful and usually answer pretty fast, the content is easily laid out and its for you to see everyday whenever you need it and I also feel like they really do prepare you for the real exams, they are not biased because they don't really know you so when it comes down to it they will be completely honest and give you feedback that will really help you improve. The only thing about Pamoja is that if you do more than 2 courses then you will need a lot of self-motivation and really go through the lessons because otherwise you will not learn and when mid-terms come you'll be in trouble. 

if you have any specific questions about pamoja, please feel free to message me (if you need specific information of a course I don't take I could still help you by asking other classmates who take the course) 

• Like 1