History IA relevant topics

Renata Maldonado

Hi!

I need to start working on my IA as soon as possible but I'm struggling with the topic.

I was thinking about doing it on French influence on fashion in mexico during "El Porfiriato", but my teacher said it was too vague and that i was focusing on other things rather than in history.

Then I thought i could write it on "to what extent did Coco Chanel contributr to the womens right movement in the 19th century?

This are just ideas, but if you could give me some topic ideas you would really really help me.

Thank you :)

Anything on the syllabus is fair game (and doing something on the syllabus will help you study for exams). Old essay question can also lead to successful IAs. They may require a little modification but will at least provide a good place to start. If you want a collection of (European) essay questions i have a collection from my history teacher. 

If at all possible, pick a topic you find interesting as it will make the whole process easier. 

Best of luck and feel free to message me if you have more questions  :D

• Like 1

Just a note on what IB_taking_over says here: Old essay questions can lead to successful IAs, that's true, but you cannot use the exact same question. If it resembles the original question too much, you run into the risk of being accused of plagiarism, and you certainly do not want that to happen. The research question for your IA and other work is supposed to be developed completely by you. You are allowed to take inspiration from other places, but taking questions that have already been asked is a bad move in that respect.

Also, on top of that, if you do a question that has already been asked and answered, then you will without doubt deal with a topic that has been researched to some degree already. That might be fine, depending on the topic, but you need to be extra vigilant on whether or not it is narrow enough.