What did you all do for Personal Project?

kevG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I did something really random and fun because I knew I wouldn't be able to do it in the name of school ever again :P

I learned vegan baking (eggless, nut-less and milkless), had bake sales throughout the year during major festivals and then sold them for donations for Free the Children. And then for my presentation, I also published a recipe book. It was reallly fun and the best part is, I still bake! :D

Here are a couple others projects students from my school did:

- A friend of mine re-decorated her entire room. She made a very accurate diorama for the presentation at school but then actually implemented it in her real room! It looks pretty awesome :)

- Another friend of mine actually wrote a short novel and published it where it was made available in bookstores and such. 

- Another student learned nail art (there were actually quite a few who did)

- Many students learned cake decorating

- Some students learned international food dishes

- Another student took 100 pictures of different things under a microscope. It was pretty awesome (especially when you're in gr.9 and barely have any experience with microscopes - except for onion skins, we did those every. Single. Year.)

- Someone else built a diorama of his dream home, again a very unique Personal project

- A girl made a dress out of newspapers. Very very cool (but she couldn't actually wear it - it was more of an appreciative art piece)

Really, you could do anything you are interested in or would like to learn about. The Personal Project is the best opportunity for that. 

• Like 2

What is this personal project for???

The Personal Project is a year round project completed by MYP students (gr.9 and 10) introducing students to the IB Profile, goal-setting, reflections on goals, time management, organization...etc. I don't know about all schools however our school must have journals throughout the year-long process of completing the project, meetings with mentors, short term and long term goals as well as a final presentation in which a "final product" of some sort must be presented along with process details and a report. It is a pass or fail grade. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I worked with a partner to run a Calligraphy Club in the school. We worked together on the product, but had separate reports, goals, and criteria. It was a brilliant learning experience for me, as someone who is generally not very good with group work (I've had some bad experiences with it), and as someone who is not usually a very good teacher. '^^

• 4 months later...