IA about Games (MMORPGs or just RPGs)

Zalgawi

Hey, so today my teacher  has introduced the IA to the whole class. She also said that It could be about anything as long as math relates to it... Long story short, I really need help in deciding on a question but I can't really think of anything. I was really interested in doing it on a MMORPG like world or warcraft or some game of that sort but also was looking at doing it on the game on all android / iphones called "Tap Titan". I've learnt that there are many formulas that are taken into consideration to leveling up the characters, how much damage you do, how much money you earn and the HP of the monsters and bosses and many formulas of that sort.

So what kind of question am I able to generate with that sort of information? Help me out people! :)

While cRPG may be tempting, it will be hard for you to obtain data on the algorithms used in games.... unless other players have hacked it. What you can actually do is try and find some kind of algorithm yourself, basing on your in-gmae actions.

Otherwise I'd advise looking at classic RPG systems such as Dungeons & Dragons or Warhammer (especially this one as it puts strong emphasis on mechanics of the game). You can browse through the rules (which are available in massive handbooks) and do some work on the data you find. Statistics and/or probability could play a big role here, the more that you have a random variable involved.

Edited by Slovakov

While cRPG may be tempting, it will be hard for you to obtain data on the algorithms used in games.... unless other players have hacked it. What you can actually do is try and find some kind of algorithm yourself, basing on your in-gmae actions.

Otherwise I'd advise looking at classic RPG systems such as Dungeons & Dragons or Warhammer (especially this one as it puts strong emphasis on mechanics of the game). You can browse through the rules (which are available in massive handbooks) and do some work on the data you find. Statistics and/or probability could play a big role here, the more that you have a random variable involved.

Hey, thanks a lot for the reply. I kept reading about Tap Titan but I can't really come to a conclusion because there is so many things i'd have to take into consideration. So I decided to look at Dungeons and Dragons, but what kind of question would I be able to come up with? Do you have any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

I initially wanted to do a video game related topic, but changed quite early. Here's some of the early ideas I had:

-Procedural generation in games like Minecraft and Diablo. How do pseudorandom number generators (maybe one or two good choices of algorithm) work? What mathematics is involved?

-Methods of 2D graphics - vector (geometry/computational geometry) or raster (maybe some matrices involved here?)

-Pokemon - the probabilities involved in breeding (I would be cautious with this one as I've seen it listed as an example of something that's done a lot and usually pretty badly)

-Kerbal Space Program - lots of mathematics involved in describing motion of rockets eg Tsiolkovsky Rocket Equation)

• 5 years later...
On 6/8/2015 at 2:35 AM, Zalgawi said:

Hey, thanks a lot for the reply. I kept reading about Tap Titan but I can't really come to a conclusion because there is so many things i'd have to take into consideration. So I decided to look at Dungeons and Dragons, but what kind of question would I be able to come up with? Do you have any ideas?

Did you ever find a question?

16 minutes ago, JJMasterFlex said:

Did you ever find a question?

Nothing game related, I ended up doing a question along the lines of "How to score every basketball 3 pointer" and I calculated the angle and velocity needed using specific assumptions. (I used Stephen curry as my example and calculated the shot based on his height + jumping height) 

2 hours ago, Zalgawi said:

Nothing game related, I ended up doing a question along the lines of "How to score every basketball 3 pointer" and I calculated the angle and velocity needed using specific assumptions. (I used Stephen curry as my example and calculated the shot based on his height + jumping height) 

Thank you would you like me to keep you posted on what I pick?

On 9/10/2020 at 9:18 AM, Zalgawi said:

I found a way to do it, you use binomials and probabilities to find out what the probability of a High level no casters party with ideal circumstances can beat a tarrasque in a set amount of terms

9 minutes ago, JJMasterFlex said:

I found a way to do it, you use binomials and probabilities to find out what the probability of a High level no casters party with ideal circumstances can beat a tarrasque in a set amount of terms

Hahahaha I'm done with IB and Uni now thankfully, I don't have to stress about this ever again