Group 4 Project Ideas for Kitchen Science

Zoe Brown

Hey! My group 4 project is coming up in a week's time and my group and I cant think of anything for the science of kitchens. I thought about doing something about how the enzyme amylase breaks down food but i cant think of anything for the chemistry/physics aspects of the Group 4 Project. 

We also have the option of having our project be about the science of garbage/waste so if you can think about any ideas for this it would be appreciated too!

Edited by Zoe Brown

Hey! My group 4 project is coming up in a week's time and my group and I cant think of anything for the science of kitchens. I thought about doing something about how the enzyme amylase breaks down food but i cant think of anything for the chemistry/physics aspects of the Group 4 Project. 

We also have the option of having our project be about the science of garbage/waste so if you can think about any ideas for this it would be appreciated too!

Oh come on, there are lots and lots of stuff that you can talk about. Below are the ideas that i've come up with after a few minutes of brainstorming. but I bet that there are hundreds more if you try googling

Physics (here it's best if you choose to talk about some of the kitchen appliances):

• The physics of microwave oven: the principle behind this technology is the resonance phenomenon, i.e. frequency of microwave resonantes with that of water molecules, thus heating up the food
  • The physics of a refrigerator: do you know that at the first sight, it seems that this technology goes against the 2nd law of thermodynamics? but it doesn't, and the explanation is part of IB physics. Here, you can bring up the difference between Carnot engine & Carnot refrigerator, etc. You can also talk about how the magnets hold the fridge & its door together such that no air can leak outside
  • The physics of induction cooking: the basic principle behind this is electromagnetic induction. Roughly speaking, the change in magnetic field in the stove induces eddy current in the saucepan (which has resistance, and thus is heated up)

Chemistry:

• Non-stick pan: what is the chemical on the surface of a non-stick pan? Perhaps you can research a bit about how it was invented?
  • Soap and detergents: talk about the chemistry of the soap molecules, how they can both attract water & organic molecules at the same time, which enables us to clean our dishes
  • Rate of reaction: refrigerator/freezer slows down the rate of reaction of the food wih the air, thus helping us preserve the food
  • Burnt meat: we all know that burnt meat is bad for the body. perhaps you can research a bit about the chemical transformation from the normal cooked meat to burnt meat?
  • Sugar: one of those delicious dishes that we eat in Vietnam is called Thit Kho Tau (as you can see below). Notice that the main colour is brownish/blackish. And in Northern Vietnam, one of the way that we can make that colour is to heat sugar up to the point that it turns brown before mixing it with water. Now, perhaps you would want to explore about the chemical transition of sugar at high temperature, to really understand why sugar turns from white to brown, etc....

Btw, another idea for biology/chemistry:

post-152264-0-18154300-1433048138_thumb.

• Like 1