If failed IB, what to do?

When not succeeding to pass an IB exam, this means you would not be able to get in to university. The problem for me is, as it follows; all universities that I have applied to rejected me. Now that gave a useless feeling, a feeling of ultimate depression. Also I have not discussed this with anyone- but would suicide help to solve the problem? Revision is not going well at all- takes incredibly a long time to work through the past papers. I considering to get out of this misery. My talent is in art however my goal was to study in university, and gain a proper job. Not art. Having discussed this with my parents they would never understand. I strongly believe I am prepared and happy enough to take my own life. 

Any recommendations? should I see a doctor? I feel that if I don't succeed this, I believe this is the end. Seriously. 

Suicide will not solve your problems! IB is a bitch and we're all struggling in our own ways. Keep calm and take it easy. This is not the end for you! The world is so full of possibilities and opportunities and life brings surprises all the time :) Do your best when you're studying for your exams..you still have 2 months. After you've done your best you can apply for universities next year (or after summer?)...maybe take a gap year to relax and explore life? And the fact that you're good with art is amazing. Do you know how many "proper jobs" you can get with good artistic skills? Be more open-minded and the world will be more opportunistic :)

• Like 1

I mean look at me...my final IB art exam is tomorrow and I'm not even done setting up my exhibition. I don't even have enough pages or studio works..or a candidate statement. So it's looking like an all-nighter for me...my third all-nighter this week and most definitely not the last. We're all stressed and going insane!!! I feel you 100%

• Like 1

yes but I looked and looked- I cant see anything but darkness. The world is not full of opportunities, since if I fail my exams due to my revision taking too long, Ive basically disrespected all teachers, and my family. Ive then dishonored everyone therefore why should I live?

Sorry for being naive- I was once a positive person. Now I do not have a choice. 

Never believe you don't have a choice. You ALWAYS have a choice. What you do in life is YOUR choice and it's like Jemima said, life is full of surprises. There are hundreds, probably thousands of jobs out there where artistic talent is involved, I promise you!

Dishonoring everyone means absolutely nothing. It's YOU who you need to live up to. YOU whose dreams you want to, need to fulfill. It's YOU who will be living an amazing life with whatever choices you make, no one else. And I assure you, life is definitely worth it. The down side of life only makes the bright side (WHICH WILL COME, I PROMISE YOU - and I don't break my promises) even better!! 

If you were once a positive person, that person has never left you. That person just needs a little light to come back, a little self-encouragement to come back, some self-love to come back. 

As for the universities, maybe you're not applying for the programs that best suit you. Apply again, look for a summer job, take the semester or the year off, like Jemima suggested. Maybe you could find a job requiring artistic skill that you're interested in pursuing and ask them if you could shadow them for a few months so you even get good experience :) Or just volunteer! The experience you get, the feeling you get when you simply give to someone, anyone be that your community, the elderly, children, the hospital, the library, a charity, a workplace...etc. will bring you the light

If all you see is darkness, you simply need to put on the light. And if you feel you're unable to do that on your own yet, than ask those around you to turn it on for you. 

Here's a little strategy that I use and it's been working for me these past few weeks (I almost gave up on Math- I'm horrible at math). I look up motivational quotes, stuff to keep me going, telling myself, I CAN do it. If someone tells you you can't, you turn around and say, "watch me." Take this as a challenge, a learning experience. You have to believe in yourself, for everything to fall into place. 

As for the studying/revision for exams, time yourself and see how far you get, how many you questions you get correct, how many you understand. If you don't understand them, find the answers and do another one. Push yourself to go faster and faster to reach the time limit and the accuracy you wish to achieve. You cannot stop believing in yourself, because there's no one who can believe in you, motivate you, more than yourself. I tell you this from personal experience. What I mean to say now is, you're not alone. And don't ever think for one millisecond that you are.

I'm going to end off with some of those motivational quotes I found:

"When you think about quitting, think about why you started"

"Never give people choices you don't want them to make"

"Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently" - Henry Ford

"When life gives you limes, rearrange the letters until they say smile" :)

"Never think what you have to offer is insignificant. There will always be someone out there that needs what you have to give"

"Strive for PROGRESS, not perfection"

"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson later."

"There is no elevator to success, you have to take the stairs"

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time" - Thomas Edison

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving." - Albert Einstein

"A tiger doesn't lose sleep because of the opinion of a sheep"

"Imagine with all your mind.

Believe with all your heart.

Achieve with all your might"

I really hope at least one of these hit home for you.

Be strong,

-IbTrojan

• Like 8

If you're feeling suicidal, try posting to /r/suicidewatch; the community there is really helpful. Better yet, contact a professional.

All I can say that is you might not be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel now, but trust me it's there. Try your best at IB and if you fail, it's not the end of the world. Life goes on. We learn from our mistakes and failures; I know for sure that I have. It's better to have tried and failed than not to have tried at all.

First of all : *hug* .

The one thing I would change is to have the possibility to hug people through internet...

Suicide is never an option. It never was, it isn't, and it never will. I don't want to judge people that committed it, I'm quite sad to be honest; they didn't think their lives will get any better and they thought there was no way out - terryfying. I think you should know that IB is just the beginning of your life - not the end. You're still so young, you can even redo the exams you failed! There are many different places waiting for you, there are soooo many more things to do in life than just IB, Uni and then a job. Please, don't think that your situation has no way out.

Now I know I'm a young person, but this affects us the most, with suicide being the 3rd biggest cause of death among teenagers. We can't stop you whatever your decision is, which is probably the worst thing. But promise me one thing - you will never have to let your parents see their child lying on the bed barely breathing, with few boxes of pills lying next to him. And what if you have a sibling that will walk into your room, and will discover his/her brother DEAD. You won't kill only yourself - you will be gone physically, but you'll kill them inside. The day you die is going to be the day they died inside. They'll never understand why you did it, I mean you had some problems with your exams, but other than that you were always a happy person. They'll live in this state of confusion 'till their deaths, so please, please, please, don't do it.

I told you this not to shock you, but to show you what your death can cause. Trust me, I know how you feel, how it feels to be a failure, not good enough, never meeting the expectations of others. I did things I won't even talk about - they might trigger someone reading this, plus it's the last now.

There is always hope, believe me.

• Like 2

This isn't very widely known fact but you can retake IB examinations. Even if you failed IB it's possible to resit exams and pass.

Suicide is never a solution. IB is a challengubg program indeed. If you fail, take your time and retake your examinations.

Plus, how about combining art and "real job" ? How about the career of an architect? Or industry designer?

Nope, I will have to redo my 2 year course again.

Im sorry for causing all this drama, but these posts made my day worse. Every day is literally a nightmare. I only have the strength to act like I'm fine at school- I have no problems in school. but sonetimes I feel like a total embicil and I try my hardest not to jump off the school building. This is not a joke at all.

Edited by 10000

Ok, so why am I posting this topic from the first place if these helpful posts made my day worse?

I cannot believe how much of a total ignorant dumbass I am.

Darling, the only reason you cannot believe it is because you're not one. And I'm gonna repeat, bold and red up it once more: You're not a total ignorant dumbass.

It is so so important that you reached out for help. I cannot stress how important it is, and you have already managed a huge step towards things getting better. It is perfectly understandable that you're confused, afraid, stressed... Now there is only one more thing to do - talk to someone who doesn't, like us, live only behind your computer screen. This can be anyone you trust, and only a few words will be enough for them to be able to help you. You just need to reach out. You could print this topic and show it to them. It saves you all the talking and gets the message across.

Internet hugs. Hold on.

• Like 6

Okay so if these posts aren't helping you, why don't you tell us what exactly you go through? We're all here to listen to you, talk to you, advise you and if you don't want us to say anything if it's not helping, fine. But honestly, let it out. I too think sometimes, "Why on earth did I do IB? I'm not even doing well, if I screw up, I screw up" but I'm working on never giving up. 

Anyways, not about me. Please talk and if you don't want to talk on this post, PM me or anyone else here. Please, I give you my word that talking about it lifts some of the weight off. Give it a chance at least.

Keep staying strong sweetie!

Mate, suicide is never the right thing to do. What everyone else has said is true - your life is nowhere near its destined course at this young age, and it is very short-sighted to think that it's all over already! Frankly, at that age no one has any idea what the future holds and you owe it to your future self to give them that chance. As others have pointed out, people have been very successful without even finishing school, and what a waste it would be if you prevented yourself from having that chance.

Even if you're not successful. Who cares?! Life isn't about money and good grades. Many people are very, VERY happy with simple lives - not much further education, fairly small jobs. Why? Because of who they spend their life with. Their life is not about being top dog, or about making more money than others you know... it's about spending their time with the people they love. And don't even try to argue against this point by saying you don't have that special someone right now - duh, I doubt you would! She (or he) is in your future. Again, what a waste if you don't let that come to be. Just let life be life and enjoy it as it goes!!

I hope that this point serves to remind you that right now, you're a young person who thinks they know what life is, and are wrapped up in this part of life as it is, but mate you need to step back and see the bigger picture. Some people live long, happy lives filled with love and they didn't even finish school, let alone IB/college or beyond. I'm telling you, in 5 years time, wherever you are, you may look back on these dark times of youth, and feel relieved that you just waited it out and gave it a chance because it paid off.

Lastly, and I'm sorry to pull this one but in case the above rational arguments about the bigger picture don't work - think of your loved ones, family etc. How could you leave them? Don't you realise how devastated they would be? Suicide is a very selfish act. Think of your poor parents, any siblings, any friends. Pain would wrack them on a daily basis, no peaceful nights, sadness and regret during the day. Do you really want that to all be on you? Do you want to cause all that suffering to the people you love the most, and the people who give you the most love, just because some education worries in your youth overcame you and you couldn't wait it out?

You're better than that. Do yourself some justice, and keep at it! Don't just give up and quit, and even if it doesn't all go successfully who the hell cares? As long as you have your health and people to love, that's all you need to enjoy the ride. 

• Like 6

Honestly, just go to college and gain a new start. Correct me if I am wrong, however you may be able to apply to a university after demonstrating your academic potential through your college diploma. It will just take a couple more years, but it will be worth it :)

You do realize that the MAJORITY of teenagers take STANDARD non- IB/ AP courses yet are able to enter university, right? I think a lot of the people on this thread are encouraging you to accept a position in the lower/ working class, however you can truly succeed if you follow your determination.

And don't end your life, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. 

EDIT: You mentioned that you want a proper job. Going to college- even a "low- level" one- will prepare you for just that.

Edited by A_Happy_Sheep

Nope, I will have to redo my 2 year course again.

Im sorry for causing all this drama, but these posts made my day worse. Every day is literally a nightmare. I only have the strength to act like I'm fine at school- I have no problems in school. but sonetimes I feel like a total embicil and I try my hardest not to jump off the school building. This is not a joke at all.

The fact that you can redo the 2 year course is great! You'll have some of the required knowledge already, which means that your life will be less stressful! Look, this seems like a lot, but trust me, it isn't. My brother got into uni after 3 years of waiting, so think about that!

Also, trust me, I know how you feel. I might be young but I went though hell as well, it got to a point where I was changing schools EVERY YEAR. I skipped classes, didn't do my work, mostly because I thought that I won't archieve anything anyway, so why bother? I thought I'm an idiot, a disgrace, not worth a second look. My decision to end it was probably the worst one I've ever made, and it would be yours, too. There is nothing worse than seeing your child dead, and you won't only hurt you, but your friends, teachers and family. They will live seeing your bright smile, thinking that maybe, just maybe, a small chat or smile could've save your life.

Brighten up, you're young, you're free. Wait until the exams are over, and then if necessary, take the course again. Be positive and just go forward, because at the end of this tunnel is a bright light called FUTURE, which is getting closer and closer. Keep your head up, I know it's hard, and if you feel like you can't trust yourself, talk to a teacher or someone your trust. There isn't a person so strong in this world that won't need a helpful hand in their lifetime.

Don't kill yourself. U are gonna miss all the amazing stuffs in life. Friends, Family, FOOD. Failing IB is not the end, it is actually the beginning. It is really painful to kill yourself, so don't torture yourself. Talk to me  :D

chill out. If you fail, you can take a retest. Plus, hey look at th world greats:

bill Gates

Steve Jobs

Einstein

Whole GUns N Roses

None of them finished school/college

Just saying, chill out.

And meet a professional if your suicidal

However Bill Gates and Steve Jobs dropped out from Harvard (Bill Gates) and one of the finest art schools in the United States (Steve Jobs) at that time, not the IB :)

Listen up man, Life has these things. It'll kick you, and make you **** yourself, if you ****ing let it. I'm not gonna write a bunch of motivational/inspirational **** qoutes because that isn't gonna make a difference, it really isnt. You have two re-do your course, re-do it. But this time ensure you do your absolute best, make sure you leave all you have in that exam room, give it your all. I know it feels like the end of the world, losing two years of your life to re-do the course, but there's something better coming man, I assure you. It all goes down before it goes up, but when it goes up. I can assure you, it'll go higher than its ever been. Give it your all man, and you'll be successful. 

You have exams in May 2015, and i am absolutely sure you'll pass, and get into a uni with the course you want. You'll pass the IB, take a gap year and then apply again. Go for it man. 

Best Regards, 

Keep your head up, you'll do great, anything you need just hit me up anytime. 

Edited by Djsporting
  • Like 2

chill out. If you fail, you can take a retest. Plus, hey look at th world greats:

bill Gates

Steve Jobs

Einstein

Whole GUns N Roses

None of them finished school/college

Just saying, chill out.

And meet a professional if your suicidal

However Bill Gates and Steve Jobs dropped out from Harvard (Bill Gates) and one of the finest art schools in the United States (Steve Jobs) at that time, not the IB :)

Yeah, well I was just giving an example.

Trying to make the guy feel better.

Ok better examples:

Eminem dropped out of school after failing 9th grade 3 times and is currently one of the greatest Hip-Hop artists in the world

Kirk Hammett, one of the gods of Heavy Metal dropped out.

So 1000, you can do whatever you want. the world should take a ****ing hike, and you should do what you want