Math SL IA topic help - Academy Award Win Probability

dorothyhi

So for my Math SL IA I decided I wanted to investigate what factors affected a nominated movie's chance of winning the Academy Awards Best Picture Award. The factors I picked to investigate are total box office earnings, genre, and release date. I am only using data from nominated movies from 2011 to 2014 so as not to overload myself with data.

My problem is, although I have all my data, I don't know what to do with it. My teacher suggested trying to find a regression or make a probability equation. However all of my lists of data only have an x value, so I am unsure how to fit it into a regression. (I tried using '1' in the y value for a movie that won and a '0' for one that didn't, but that didn't work out very well). Also I haven't dealt with probability equations quite this complex. Does anyone have any advice?

So far I have several pie and bar graphs showing my data, but nothing to interpret it.

• Like 1

just an idea but could you look at how many noms and wins a movie got across all different award shows (oscars/peoples choice/SAG etc) and compare that to box office earnings?

i wouldn't use genre because you can't really quantify that so it would be hard to make a graph of horror vs wins or something?

and i don't think release date is all that useful either

• 5 years later...
On 3/2/2015 at 1:08 AM, dorothyhi said:

Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier, but I took your advice and managed to work out an essay that made use of the kinds of regression line I was looking to. 

So thank you so much!!!

Hi, I am working on a similar topic so can you share your IA with me?