Help with bio experiment

saya

Guys, I have always loved to be independent and do everything myself but I seriously need help now. This is my first experiment and I really feel useless here. I havve tried searching all over the net and try to see whether there is a place where I can get some samples of similar experiments but I didn´t find any resource...this is frustrating, I need help ASAP. And it is due on thursday...so basically I am telling you what I have to do. If you can help me in any way...here it goes.

Design a procedure to test whether a smaple of material is alive. Suggested samples include abacterial colony, a tube of yeast culture, the Resurrection plant and pond scum.

You will need to provide evidence of some of the following: the use of energy (i.e. metabolism), growth, development, reproduction, homeostasis, response to the environment, evolutionary adpatation, composition of one or more cells.

Maybe you can tell me what the procudure is or simply tell me how to avoid this kind of situation in the future (Resources much appreciated) Thank you in advance.

That does seem like a tough experiment. By the way this is from the biology course companion(You probably already knew this) although the book is not useful for the experiment since it only gives this question and provides no method to do it.

My suggestion would be using the resurrection plant and showing growth, response to the environment and composition of one or more cells. Find details of this plant on this site. This plant is perfect to show response to the environment since it folds up in to a ball during dry season. The question says "provide evidence of SOME of the following". So you could focus on these three i.e. growth, response to the environment and composition of one or more cells.

For growth you can just show how the plant grows from a small to bigger one. I am not sure how but you could probably squeeze in development as well. Probably by saying the roots become longer and more efficient to absorb more water.

Response to environment can be shown by putting the plant in dry soil without watering it. By doing this the whole plant will become in a ball squeezed ball shape.

Composition of one or more cells can be done by taking a small sample of the plant from the leaves and looking at it under a microscope to show composition of cells.

You could talk about evolutionary adaptation but I dont know how you can show evidence in a school experiment. But go and read more about this plant.

By the way it is only the design part due on thursday right??... Because it is not possible to complete the whole experiment before Thursday.

Well anyway, thats what I would do. Hope its useful and good luck with your experiment :D

Edited by djshah

That was awesome man! Thanks a ton for that...I think it has turned out to be a good experiment (yeah, we only have to hand in the design this tuesday) and will surely put it up here after it is graded.

The good part was that I actually was able to provide evidence of homeostais (which I think was on par with development) and use of energy (metabolism).

My only problem has been variables. I have just said that there is actually no such variables, no independent ones, no dependent ones, and no control variables because all this experiment is based on observation. Do you think that is alright?

Anyways, thanks a lot. You have saved my life (I love how I can exagerate to the hilt :P )....

Thanks. Am really glad I helped... lol... Go on exagerrating, it makes me feel better... :P

umm... For variables dont just leave it completly because if you see the criteria it says "complete", "partial" and "none". So might aswell BS becaus even if its wrong you could probably scrape partial and get a point.

Your independent variables could probably be the signs of living: i.e. response to environment, existance of cells, growth rate, development rate e.t.c

Dependent variable would be if it is alive. So if independent variable show signs of life then the dependent variable means it has life.

contolled variables would probably be type of soil for all ressurection plants used e.t.c.

these are a few. Am sure you can think about more.

:P

I´m done with it. :P Turned out pretty nice and decently. I am not kidding, 70% is your work...thank you thank you thank you thank you. I was so lost first! I attached the variables thingie (yeah, you should always go with the marking criteria, point noted!). I owe you one...so if you need any help, I am here! (PS: languages are my strength... :P )

Awesome!! I know how good it feels to get over with work :o ... No problem :) ... Super, I do suck at language although am sure u can only help with english cause ma second language is kiswahili... lol... I will ask for help... Thanks... And do let me know how you did on this lab ...

Edited by djshah