Extended Essay for Dummies - READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!

Survival Robot

On 12/16/2016 at 10:27 PM, emma.s.e. said:

As a current IB student I'm doing my EE on Fifty Shades of Grey - "To what extent does Fifty Shades of Grey romanticize sexual abuse?" with parallels to both Jane Eyre and the Beauty and the Beast syndrome. However, I am extremely nervous about this topic as it is extremely controversial- talking about both feminism and the modern view on sexuality as well as BDSM... My supervisor was really excited about my choice of subject as well as my finished draft. But I want your honest opinion, do you think IB will disapprove?

OMG!!! This is such an interesting topic... I don't know about the IB but I approve this. But honestly, I don't think they should have a problem with it. The IB is very open in terms of sexual texts and expects students to have the understanding level of a mature adult. They expect maturity and the core principals in their students. This is a topic that should be talked about more and your open mindedness about this... honestly hats off! There is so much stigma around talking about sex, and so much embarrassment which really really needs to be toned down. So go ahead! I really do think you'll get extra points just for the topic. One thing that many extended essays miss out on, is that they're not interesting enough. I know they're supposed to be super analytical and boasting about your knowledge and understanding in the area chosen, but your interest in the topic should be seen in the essay and this can only be done if the essay itself is interesting to read.