Extended Essay for Dummies - READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!

Survival Robot

Hi there! 

I'm doing my EE in English B and I struggle with a suitable topic. I have a lot of ideas, but just dunno if I could write 4000 words on any. 

My original idea was naming in the Harry Potter series - you know, the symbolism behind it etc., but a lot of people here say that Harry Potter never gets good grades and is way too popular for a topic. 

I'm also very interested in feminism and thought about pairing it up with fairytales somehow, like how fairytales portray women or something.

Or maybe a RQ like "How are women represented in magazine advertisements?"

I love Disney films and I also thought about "How has Disney's portrayal of main female roles changed as women's rights have advanced?

I'm also considering the idea of the role/portrayal of women in the 1920 America as shown in F.S. Fitzgerald's works, or anything about the 1920s culture and Fitzgerald or the flapper girls, I just really love it, but no research question comes to my mind.

The last idea is pretty random and I don't even know if I could analyse TV series for an EE, but... I was wondering if I could maybe analyse political incorrectness in the show Friends? They make a lot of sexist, borderline homophobic jokeks there, and I must admit, it seems tempting to choose it as a topic. 

Can you please help me with phrasing RQs out of that messy thoughts of mine? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to come up with a nicely worded EE topic that involves how the superiority of the United States is prevalent and impactful to knowledge systems??? And i was planning on using factual evidence like american exceptionalism and Spanglish and the map projections like Mercator that distort America to make it seem bigger than it actually is? How would I word a question to fit all of this? So far I have

To what extent is superiority of the United States and its impact on knowledge systems prevalent?

Should I specify knowledge systems of a certain type or specify a certain time period when the superiority of the U.S. began? HELP PLEASE UGH

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I seriously need some help. I've narrowed my topic down to ,"How did nationalism facilitate India's independence movements against Britain in the period 1857-1947 ", but I'm having a hard time finding sources and quotes for evidence. I've found a few though. Also, I am unsure whether or not a graph, chart, (and/or) picture is needed. if so... where on earth am i supposed to find a graph or chart on that.:lc:  

On 5/18/2016 at 4:55 PM, Gino said:

I seriously need some help. I've narrowed my topic down to ,"How did nationalism facilitate India's independence movements against Britain in the period 1857-1947 ", but I'm having a hard time finding sources and quotes for evidence. I've found a few though. Also, I am unsure whether or not a graph, chart, (and/or) picture is needed. if so... where on earth am i supposed to find a graph or chart on that.:lc:  

One might be able to find graphs/charts in book, articles, or the internet. There is nothing that says you must use a non-textual source. 

If you have exhausted your ability to find sources, you might consider asking your supervisor about where to look. They might know a thing or two about where to find sources in your area.  

• 5 weeks later...

So I'm doing my extended essay topic in psychology on how religion affects altruistic behaviors. The only problem i have is where I would expand. I am thinking about how religion affects education, which then would affect altruistic behaviors, whether constant involvement in a religion would result in more altruistic behavrios, and just the question stated above. I feel that this might not be enough to write and EE. Could someone help guide my thoughts and kinda push me down path? That would be super helpful :)

Hello I am doing my extended essay on psychology.... My research question was: to what extent is cyber bullying associated with a greater incidence of depression/suicidal behaviour than traditional bullying?

but now I question is it right to consider them as two different forms of bullying?

would it be better something like: to what extent is bullying related to depression or au ideal behaviour? are depressive symptoms noticed as antecedents or consequence of depression?

the fact is that many studies contradict themselves already in the association of bullying with depression and in the distinction of the two forms of bullying...

hoping to to receive a reply...

thank you very much in advance

Hey guys I'm doing my extended essay on biology. My research question is, "Which brand of surgical mask is the most efficient in filtering car exhaust, and how does the product affect humans?" I was planning to do have both primary and secondary research about this, but now I'm wondering if the research question ventures too much into other EE subjects. Would it be fine if I submitted this as a biology EE?

Edited by potsawit44

• 2 months later...

Hi! I need help in writing the first draft form my EE in psychology.

My research question is " To what extent does corporal punishment play a role in children's motivation to learn".

What exactly should there be in the first draft, and how can I get more research on my topic?

Can you suggest me a few view points that I can use to answer my research question?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Isha Talghatti

• 3 months later...

As a current IB student I'm doing my EE on Fifty Shades of Grey - "To what extent does Fifty Shades of Grey romanticize sexual abuse?" with parallels to both Jane Eyre and the Beauty and the Beast syndrome. However, I am extremely nervous about this topic as it is extremely controversial- talking about both feminism and the modern view on sexuality as well as BDSM... My supervisor was really excited about my choice of subject as well as my finished draft. But I want your honest opinion, do you think IB will disapprove?

• 2 months later...

Hello, my subject area is Philosophy and I wanted to know if the title of my essay sounds like it is going in the right direction with regard to my chosen subject of philosophy. My title is:  How does ecophilosophy present itself in the deep ecology movement?

• 1 month later...

I'm doing my EE in English and this is my question. How does Oscar Wilde's representation of beauty in The Picture of Dorian Gray compare to Gaston Leroux's in Phantom of the Opera? I wanted to talk about Dorian Gray and Sybil Vane from The picture of Dorian Gray and then talk about Christine and Erik/The phantom for the Phantom of the opera part. I have 2 points but I was wondering if 4 characters will be too much? Would it be better for me to just pick 2 characters from each book and focus on those instead? Thank you!!!:)

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi, I'm doing my extended essay in English and will be focusing on category 3. My Research question is: The role of Theoretical Linguistics in classifying words according to linguistic complexity and their impact upon Linguistic description. Essentially I am focusing on researching the factors that affect word complexity and then am determining the reasons and the ways in which these factors alter word complexity. Is my topic within the IB's guidelines? And is it appropriate for a English Lang Lit Category 3 Extended essay?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

EE Topic: The Construction of African American culture through social media.

this is a topic I have been wanting to pursue but I have doubts. If the subject is Language And Literature do i have to analyze a text, or can I just develop my topic based on research and sources likes that. For the topic I mentioned above I have no text to relate it to.

• 9 months later...

Hi, 

I am doing an extnded Essay on history. this is because history interests me as a subject. now Ive pinpointed my extended essay down to the scramble for africa. the problem is for a historical extended essay what are we meant to target yes i know its supposed to be a research paper but do we invent something new for example i would like to look at to what extent did the did colonialism affect the rwandan genocide, except its been done. is that alright or must i do something completly new?

Hi, welcome to IB Survival.

Pretty much all topics under the sun have been done as History EE's. Don't worry about that. Of course that's allowed. What IB wants you to do is come to a conclusion that you arrive at. So you can disagree with or agree with opinions (do try to show some disagreements), and they can be opinions held by other people, but you should look at an analyze historical evidence and then explain that this is why x or y opinion is right. Because of this IB History EE's do tend to lend themselves sometimes to more controversial topics, but it doesn't necessarily have to be an extremely polemical topic. I didn't write mine on a traditionally polemical topic (and thus had to come up with an interesting thesis), but I did alright.

• 1 year later...