Should I do my EE in Psychology

darkangel803

hey there,

I have decided to do my EE in psychology...BUT I am soooooo stuck!

I have no idea where to start, I wanted to do it about crimminal behaviour but my teacher said that the topic was too broad and I should take a different approach...so now I was thinking bout doing mine on memory... Do you have any tips on how I could get started please cause I have no idea how to approach my EE :D

Thank you soooooo much :D

Nadia

Hi!!

I'm an IB graduate of 2008 and I did my EE in Psychology so listen to my advice before undertaking an EE in the field :blink: I scored an A on mine so I am more than happy to answer any questions related to the EE and even help those who are stuck.

But, replying to posts in this topic, uou CERTAINLY CAN NOT DO AN EXPERIMENT FOR AN EXTENDED ESSAY IN PSYCHOLOGY!!! It is strongly advised not to do. Even if you decide to undertake an experiment under such circumstances, the IB will frown upon it and give you look a bad grade-- so just do a formal, written essay on any field of psychology.

Referring to the first post on this thread, you mentioned that you have taken AP psychology. Thus, you know the conventions of psychology, such as using studies, experiments, etc. to debate any point of view in psychology? In such a case, have you asked the AP psychology teachers whether they are willing to supervise your essay? When completing the essay, you will need the support of a teacher who is familiar with the field. This person will be able to help you in the course of writing your essay. So, even if your teacher is not strictly familiar with the IB outlines of writing the EE, do not worry; writing a psychology EE follows the same conventions as any research papers in psychology. Thus, if your AP Psychology teachers are willing to help, you can attempt the EE. Otherwise, think of another subject in which to write your EE as it will be too difficult for you. :(

Otherwise, the process of writing a psychology EE was both challenging, yet interesting. At first I had a difficult time deciding on the topic. I can admit that by the time we were supposed to return a first draft of the EE, I only had a slight view of what my work was going to look like. SO..before you start, have a broad idea of what you're interested in, and then narrow it down to the bottom. :) I changed my topic many times, and even completely started over at times.

Buttt...i dunno more what to say :) If you have any questions feel free to contact me and ask questions! I wish you the best of luck in your IB career. :)

hey there,

I am doing my EE in psychology and I am sooooooo stuck! ^_^

I was going to do my EE in criminal behaviour BUT my teacher said that it was too broad, I have also looked at past EE that were done in psychology and i need serious help!

I am thinking bout doing it about memory as there is a lot of examples,BUT i dont have a title yet or know where to begin.

If you could please give me any advice on how I could get started and how I approach my EE in psychology?!?

Thank you so much!!

I did my EE in history, so feel free to ditch everything I say...

The way I approached mine was I took a broad topic I was interested in and then I read books about it for about a week and in that time I found certain aspects that REALLY interested me and then I kept narrowing it down further and further, went to some of my teachers for advice, and VOILA! EE topic ^_^

It's difficult to just know what your topic will be without a few days of research.

Ps: it says you've done your exams in May 05???

Edited by Ashika

• 2 weeks later...

EE in psychology is not too difficult because there are plenty of interesting topics out there but there some important aspects you have to remember:

1) You SHOULD have taken some IB psychology course or at least some AP course

2) Pick a mentor that knows IB psychology well

3) Pick a broad topic and then once you start looking into it, you can narrow it down

4) Make sure you get your topic approved before you start otherwise it can be a pain change afterwards if it is too broad or narrow.

Edited by godofib

• 5 years later...

Hi!!

I'm an IB graduate of 2008 and I did my EE in Psychology so listen to my advice before undertaking an EE in the field tongue.gif I scored an A on mine so I am more than happy to answer any questions related to the EE and even help those who are stuck.

But, replying to posts in this topic, uou CERTAINLY CAN NOT DO AN EXPERIMENT FOR AN EXTENDED ESSAY IN PSYCHOLOGY!!! It is strongly advised not to do. Even if you decide to undertake an experiment under such circumstances, the IB will frown upon it and give you look a bad grade-- so just do a formal, written essay on any field of psychology.

Referring to the first post on this thread, you mentioned that you have taken AP psychology. Thus, you know the conventions of psychology, such as using studies, experiments, etc. to debate any point of view in psychology? In such a case, have you asked the AP psychology teachers whether they are willing to supervise your essay? When completing the essay, you will need the support of a teacher who is familiar with the field. This person will be able to help you in the course of writing your essay. So, even if your teacher is not strictly familiar with the IB outlines of writing the EE, do not worry; writing a psychology EE follows the same conventions as any research papers in psychology. Thus, if your AP Psychology teachers are willing to help, you can attempt the EE. Otherwise, think of another subject in which to write your EE as it will be too difficult for you. wink.gif

Otherwise, the process of writing a psychology EE was both challenging, yet interesting. At first I had a difficult time deciding on the topic. I can admit that by the time we were supposed to return a first draft of the EE, I only had a slight view of what my work was going to look like. SO..before you start, have a broad idea of what you're interested in, and then narrow it down to the bottom. biggrin.gif I changed my topic many times, and even completely started over at times.

Buttt...i dunno more what to say smile.gif If you have any questions feel free to contact me and ask questions! I wish you the best of luck in your IB career. tongue.gif

I do not take IB psychology, and I have no knowledge in psychology whatsoever. However, I do have a psychology research question in mind:

"What are certain factors that affect a person's sense of belonging in a particular home country or specific countries?"

I have quite an interest in this topic and it would be easy to do primary research as I am studying at an international school.

Should I still go ahead with this topic even though I have no knowledge in psychology? Is the extra work and time worth to put in?

I'm taking:

HL math

HL Biology

HL economics

HL Language B

SL Language A2

SL Chemistry

• 6 years later...
On 9/3/2008 at 3:40 PM, IBBII said:

Hi!!

I'm an IB graduate of 2008 and I did my EE in Psychology so listen to my advice before undertaking an EE in the field :P I scored an A on mine so I am more than happy to answer any questions related to the EE and even help those who are stuck.

Referring to the first post on this thread, you mentioned that you have taken AP psychology. Thus, you know the conventions of psychology, such as using studies, experiments, etc. to debate any point of view in psychology? In such a case, have you asked the AP psychology teachers whether they are willing to supervise your essay? When completing the essay, you will need the support of a teacher who is familiar with the field. This person will be able to help you in the course of writing your essay. So, even if your teacher is not strictly familiar with the IB outlines of writing the EE, do not worry; writing a psychology EE follows the same conventions as any research papers in psychology. Thus, if your AP Psychology teachers are willing to help, you can attempt the EE. Otherwise, think of another subject in which to write your EE as it will be too difficult for you. :P

Otherwise, the process of writing a psychology EE was both challenging, yet interesting. At first I had a difficult time deciding on the topic. I can admit that by the time we were supposed to return a first draft of the EE, I only had a slight view of what my work was going to look like. SO..before you start, have a broad idea of what you're interested in, and then narrow it down to the bottom. :P I changed my topic many times, and even completely started over at times.

Buttt...i dunno more what to say :P If you have any questions feel free to contact me and ask questions! I wish you the best of luck in your IB career. :P

Hi i'm in IB and i have to write my EE this year. I want to do mine in psychology but I have no clue what topic I should do. I chose psychology for multiple reasons: 1. I want to be a doctor when I'm older 2. I'm always watching crime shows 3. Today I was watching an episode were a suspect was high and couldn't stop fidgeting and was all over the place and it was fascinating because the day before I had explored how different drugs affected one's brain and the neurotransmitters involved through (a rat party simulator which took a biological approach) so in the end the show was connected to what I was doing is psychology. So basically i'm interested in drugs in a way, but also memory because I want to improve mine and gaining knowledge on how memory works would help me when studying, but also disorders, human development (bullying, child abuse etc), and manipulation. Hoping you could give me some tips & advice!! And also help me because I'm stuck on what topic i should do