HL portfolio: radiometric dating

imaginelifeless

HEY does anyone have a sample for this IA to use as reference? i have absolutely no idea what they're asking for!!! what do they mean by "model the behavior"? behavior of what? and what do they mean by the word "model"???

also, my teacher keeps going on about finding regression curves and summation of data.. but i dont understand why I have to do that! does any one have any suggestions how to do this portfolio? i really need this grade. i spent an entire week doing my Type I portfolio, but i only got 14 or 15/20 for it. im so desperate right now.

14 or 15 is a high 5 or a low 6, so not bad at all... If someone does have that sample IA, you'll need VIP to access it. Did you read the comments and the component grades your teacher gave you for your type I? I think it should be clear enough to see where you've made mistakes using the comments. And if you can't understand why you need all that stuff, read through the requirements, it's all there!

*EDIT* there are actually two copies of the IA on the IA thread, so look there.

Maths HL Type II
Radiometric dating
Submitted by Aimee
Grade awarded: 20/20

Attached File TypeIIPortfolio.pdf ( 265.42K ) Number of downloads: 121

Submitted by Aboo
Grade awarded: 6

Attached File TypeII_Radiometric_6.pdf ( 1.12MB ) Number of downloads: 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok, I also did this portfolio, perhaps a good way to start is by repeating the dice experiment, it's really not hard and you actually have some fun... sooo, then you'll have many diffrente data, which you can compare and earn points on =D... afterwards, sketch the graph for all of these points and the curve you'll get already gives you a clear idea of what the model might be... It's actually somewhat obvious, but I tested other types just to earn points...

After having the model (btw, model = formula..) for the dice, the carbon part is easy, it's practically the same thing, only thing that's diffrent is that you can test it with other elements too.... Soo... I guess that's it.. this really isn't a hard porfolio, I thought it was MUCH easier than the Snowflake, problem is that everything is too obvious and you really can't add all that much extra stufff...