Benford's Law

helloIB

Hey guys,

I made a post earlier and I did not get any replies. I am really desperate this time. Does anyone know or know somebody who will be able to give me some help on benford's law for my IA. I need to be able to understand the depth of it to write my IA and any help is appreciated. PLEASE ANYONE WHO KNOWS ABOUT IT, REPLY PLEASSSSEEEE :D Usually it is a topic taught in univeristy classes and commonly in economics!

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR HELPING ME OUT (if anyone does....PLEASEEEE..)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I did Benford's law for my IA :D

This may be a bit late, since I only saw your post now, but in my case I had to include the way they derived Benford's law in the first place, which involved integrating probabilities. I did HL, and since I have no clue what your level is I'm not sure if you need that, ask your teacher. Do mind that my teacher told me it was only appropriate as I hadn't done integration at the time I gave in my final version (towards end of G11... we were slow) and was at a sufficient sophistication for HL as I had to basically teach myself a part of integration, she noted that in teacher notes I think. Also include an explanation of why it works, e.g. in x^3, for x belongs to real, the first digit for y is usually a lower number because of the rate of increase. Bah, that was badly explained; do look it up!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Xeo, would it be possible for you to share what topics you have used/explored in your exploration project for Benford's Law? Need some referencing as to how much depth I need to go into. As of now, I only explained it using a logarithmic scale, and basically said why the frequency of leading digit being 1 is 30.1% using the distance between points on the log scale. 

• 2 weeks later...

This may be a bit late, since I only saw your post now, but in my case I had to include the way they derived Benford's law in the first place, which involved integrating probabilities. I did HL, and since I have no clue what your level is I'm not sure if you need that, ask your teacher. Do mind that my teacher told me it was only appropriate as I hadn't done integration at the time I gave in my final version (towards end of G11... we were slow) and was at a sufficient sophistication for HL as I had to basically teach myself a part of integration, she noted that in teacher notes I think. Also include an explanation of why it works, e.g. in x^3, for x belongs to real, the first digit for y is usually a lower number because of the rate of increase. Bah, that was badly explained; do look it up!

I am confused with what to integrate and what it represents in the topic. How did you include integration into it? I tried searching on google about it but havent found anything that is easy to understand. I am SL btw :) Thanks for your help!

• 6 years later...
On 9/7/2014 at 6:30 PM, XeoKnight said:

Hey there,

I too am thinking of doing Benford's law for my IA! It would be great if you could explain what you integrated to derive the formula. Thanks!!

• 2 months later...
On 3/30/2021 at 1:09 PM, Neel5 said:

Hey there,

I too am thinking of doing Benford's law for my IA! It would be great if you could explain what you integrated to derive the formula. Thanks!!

im also doing benfords law for my ia lol was wondering if you found the integration required to derive the formula cuz im lost rn