Extended Essay about Gender HELP

cherrydaisy

For my Psychology Extended Essay I'm interested in the topic about gender roles but I'm still not quite sure on which aspect of it that I would like to focus on. I found tons of articles and journals about gender roles, gender differences, the biological and sociocultural aspects of gender, etc, which make me even more confused. Any suggestions on interesting specifics or aspects of that particular topic? 

You have to come up with your own EE topic. If you've found loads of articles and journals then great, you've done a lot of research so now you need to start thinking about how you're going to put it together. What argument do you want to make? What particular aspect interests you? How could you discuss it?

Brain work is required ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here's my best advice: don't limit yourself.

When I started working on my EE, I knew I wanted to research something pertaining to sex because I found it really interesting. But I realized that sex is a very broad topic with a lot of different subjects beneath it. So I wrote at the top of a piece of paper "SEX" (which looked really weird to people who saw it lol) and wrote down everything I could think of that related to it. I ended up choosing sexuality from that list and then asexuality from a similar process.

This is where you are. You know what you want, right? Now start asking yourself questions about it; what do you want to know. You'll realize soon enough that your actual research question will come from the preliminary research you do. If you have to turn something in to a teacher, then do so however know that it can and will change. 

As it happens, gender roles are a HUGE part of my essay. So my suggestion to you is not to focus on them as the main part of your question, instead pick something else and use gender roles as your argument towards or against whatever you pick. For example, my RQ is as follows: To what extent do established gender roles contribute to the rejection of asexuality as a sexual orientation?

There's so much research on gender, it's crazy. That's why it works better as support, not the topic. I hope this helps! If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 9/24/2014 at 7:49 PM, LivingAndLearning said:

Here's my best advice: don't limit yourself.

When I started working on my EE, I knew I wanted to research something pertaining to sex because I found it really interesting. But I realized that sex is a very broad topic with a lot of different subjects beneath it. So I wrote at the top of a piece of paper "SEX" (which looked really weird to people who saw it lol) and wrote down everything I could think of that related to it. I ended up choosing sexuality from that list and then asexuality from a similar process.

This is where you are. You know what you want, right? Now start asking yourself questions about it; what do you want to know. You'll realize soon enough that your actual research question will come from the preliminary research you do. If you have to turn something in to a teacher, then do so however know that it can and will change. 

As it happens, gender roles are a HUGE part of my essay. So my suggestion to you is not to focus on them as the main part of your question, instead pick something else and use gender roles as your argument towards or against whatever you pick. For example, my RQ is as follows: To what extent do established gender roles contribute to the rejection of asexuality as a sexual orientation?

There's so much research on gender, it's crazy. That's why it works better as support, not the topic. I hope this helps! If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

Hey!! I really wanted to do my EE on Asexuality so I wanted to know what exactly you researched just so I can start from somewhere. Thank you!!