CHemistry Extended Essay- Vitamin C

Michan

Hey everyone!

I am currently deciding on a chemistry extended essay topic :)

Two choices:

1) Vitamin C content in fruits

2) Acidity/ Caffeine content in tea

I find these topics very interesting. I submitted a question related to the first choice to my supervisor who approved it, however I did a quick search on google and these topics are quite frequently debated. There are quite a few experiments already conducted on vitamin C content in fruits and vegetables in relation to a variable (temperature, etc.). My question is, is it alright to write on a common topic as such? I'd like to go for the first option, except there's so many detailed plans of possible experiments relating to the topic that I find it fishy to pursue that option! Any suggestions which topic should be a better option? Thank you for reading this post :)

This topic is too cliche and from what I learnt during IB they prefer new ideas over ones that had been done over and over again. Also if you do your extended essay on such topics they may be even more strict and picky in marking. This is just my own opinion of course you should follow what you think is the best option for you. If you feel really comfortable doing these topics then go for it.

• Like 1

@BenXu

Many thanks for your reply! I was planning to investigate how heat affects the Vitamin C content in different fruits :)

@nasim_b Yes that's what I was worried about! My extended essay proctor said ok for the Vitamin C one, so I was about to choose that. Do you think both topics are too cliche? Or were you referring to the Vitamin C one? Thanks for your response! I'm really struggling to find an original topic suitable for the EE :/