General Examination Inquiries

Angad Sharma

Hello,

I hope this is the right forum but what I'm about to ask is related to exams. I've also noticed that no one's been here in a long time :P But my question is: is it possible for me to do the exams in another country? My IB Math paper 1 is on May 3, the same day as my brother's graduation from university. I live in Kuwait and my brother is in Arizona and my whole family is going to his graduation and I would really love to go as well! So if I found an IB school in Arizona, can i do my exam there? It is the same exam for the whole world right?

Thanks!

It IS the same all around the world yes, but it would be extremely difficult to arrange I imagine! Also hugely stressful to revise for your exams & achieve at the same time as having a nice time socially!! I'm not sure anybody has ever done that.

You'd have to find an agreeable school and presumably pay them a fee to let you sit the exams there. I'm also not sure how late it is possible to register students for exams, so that might also be an issue.

To be honest the sad truth is that the best course of action is probably to miss your brother's graduation. Graduation ceremonies generally consist of boring speeches and sitting listening to lots of names being read out, so maybe just congratulating your brother AFTER your exams are done would be best for you!

• 4 weeks later...

It IS the same all around the world yes, but it would be extremely difficult to arrange I imagine! Also hugely stressful to revise for your exams & achieve at the same time as having a nice time socially!! I'm not sure anybody has ever done that.

You'd have to find an agreeable school and presumably pay them a fee to let you sit the exams there. I'm also not sure how late it is possible to register students for exams, so that might also be an issue.

To be honest the sad truth is that the best course of action is probably to miss your brother's graduation. Graduation ceremonies generally consist of boring speeches and sitting listening to lots of names being read out, so maybe just congratulating your brother AFTER your exams are done would be best for you!

Thank you so much for your reply! Our IB coordinator at my school contacted IBO and they have declined my request claiming that its not urgent nor a crisis, so yes, it seems that I will be missing my brother's graduation :(

Guest CasaNova

Our teacher told us tha t for math specifically you can write on as many asnwer sheets as the number of questions which require writing on sheets exist. So in P1 there are 3 additional questions in Section B for which are used answer sheets, so you get 3 sheets to write on..

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a sudden epiphany that I didn't write the question number (for english paper 1) on my answer sheet, I did write it on the coversheet though... and then for math paper 1 I don't think I wrote the number of pages used on the coversheet. Don't know why I've been so careless, my nerves are taking control ! I asked my co-ordinator today though and he says it should be okay for both of them and that the IB examiners aren't cruel so they wouldn't do anything harsh about it. But just wanted a second opinion so if anyone has asked their co-ordinators about this then please do share! I'm really quite nervous :S

Why has the topic about HL-Math P1 disappeared? The 24 hour -rule was respected, so I can't see any reason why it would have been deleted?

Fair enough, forgot it was GMT ;)

Edited by Tuta

Why has the topic about HL-Math P1 disappeared? The 24 hour -rule was respected, so I can't see any reason why it would have been deleted?

It wasn't deleted but unapproved until 6 pm GMT because that's our agreed 24 hour rule.

"We will be calculating discussion time according to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). As the IB dictates that morning exams cannot end later than 13:00 and afternoon exams cannot end later than 18:00, we will be using these times to calculate your discussion start time. This means, for all morning exams, discussions will begin at 13:00 GMT of the day after the exam. Similarly, with afternoon exam, discussions will begin at 18:00 GMT of the day after the exam."

http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/631-forum-rules-important-read/

• Like 1

on the coversheet write the number of sheets in the box on the bottom left. regarding the question: for subjects such as math you should have written "All" in the first box underneath question. if it is something like english you can write "Section A or Section B" underneath the word section. for econ you will have to write "question 1,2,3 (e.g.)" underneath the word question.

if you didn't do it i'm sure they will work out what you answered but from now on make sure you do it correctly

If sure they will figure out which ones you answered, but I know on my Psychology cover sheet it said specifically to write ALL if you answered all the questions, and that is what I was told by the instructors. Though I really don't see them counting off or anything serious just because you put the numbers. But, I would rather be safe than sorry.

Since no one answered, I have a similar question. I had my English A2 paper 2 today and I forgot to write the question number on the answer sheet, but I did write it on the coversheet. Is it a big problem? Will they grade it or not?

Since no one answered, I have a similar question. I had my English A2 paper 2 today and I forgot to write the question number on the answer sheet, but I did write it on the coversheet. Is it a big problem? Will they grade it or not?

It's the tiniest of problems. They will grade it, its just that writing the question number in the margin helps examiners save time but is most important for papers where you answer several questions (eg. Math). Since in English its just one question which you have on the coversheet, there shouldn't be any problem or repercussions whatsoever (including making your examiner unhappy/annoyed which could happen if you don't write the question number in the margin for for example a math paper).

• 2 months later...

Is there a maximum amount of exams we can sit per day? One of my coordinators said something about rescheduling if it exceeds 3 hours and some of mine will amount to 3.5 hours in one day. Can we elect to sit these anyway? I'd rather get it over with.

There is no maximum that I'm aware of. You can't reschedule IB exams (unless you wanted to take like half of them in May and half in November, and you have to have a good reason for doing so) so if you happened to have 3+ exams in one day, it just sucks, but there's not much you can do about it.

Such as getting chemistry paper 3 and English A1 paper 2 on the same day :angry:

• 3 months later...

Hello,

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. But it is related to exams.

For the papers of chemistry and physics is the school obliged to provide you with an up to date data booklet. In other words is the data booklet specific to each examination session? I ask this because I have found (while doing past papers) that some values change between each year. For example if I'm using the 2007 data booklet to do a 2010 past paper I get wrong answers for calculations because the values in the mark scheme and the values in the data booklet are different.

So does the school need to provide you with a current data booklet or can it just photocopy data booklets from the past?

Thanks smile.gif

Yes they should provide you for an up-to-date data booklet. If you look specifically on the data booklet, it would say "For use in examinations in 2009" or whatever year. For physics the syllabus has been the same since 2009 and therefore you will need that data booklet. School does provide the candidates with this because it is against the rules for students to bring their own as they may have added additional information for which the IB does not allow for.

Hello,

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. But it is related to exams.

For the papers of chemistry and physics is the school obliged to provide you with an up to date data booklet. In other words is the data booklet specific to each examination session? I ask this because I have found (while doing past papers) that some values change between each year. For example if I'm using the 2007 data booklet to do a 2010 past paper I get wrong answers for calculations because the values in the mark scheme and the values in the data booklet are different.

So does the school need to provide you with a current data booklet or can it just photocopy data booklets from the past?

Thanks smile.gif

Yes they should provide you for an up-to-date data booklet. If you look specifically on the data booklet, it would say "For use in examinations in 2009" or whatever year. For physics the syllabus has been the same since 2009 and therefore you will need that data booklet. School does provide the candidates with this because it is against the rules for students to bring their own as they may have added additional information for which the IB does not allow for.

This question was from May 2011. Firstly, it has already been answered, and secondly, now it is not much help to the user that had asked. Please do not respond to outdated questions because the posts will be deleted.

• 5 months later...

ok so i'm having a mild mental breakdown right now. my question is about psychology hl paper 2. basically what i did is misread the instructions and i answered to all of the questions and not only one from each option. many from my class did the same. the problem now is as follows:

will they take into accound only the first 2 answers and therefore look at 2 answers from one option, or will they realise it's a mistake and see there are also answers to the other option and take into account the first two answers to each option?

rephrasing, do they scan only the first 2 answers to the questions or do they scan the entire thing and if they do scan the entire thing is it possible that they just out of pure evil ignore that it was a mistake and just give me half of the points cause i answered only one question )(the other one is there but it's not right after the first one)?

i hope you understand what i mean. :hang:

thanks for answers in advance.

My guess is that they'll take your first correctly done answers for each option that you were meant to complete and just mark that, ignoring your additional essays where you did them as extra. I think it's unlikely they'd just ignore the rest of it - they're evil but not that evil and they are meant to read your whole paper! :P It's a seriously rubbish mistake to make but I wouldn't worry about missing out on the marks entirely. Obviously you might have been able to write a better essay if you'd had more time, though, so I really feel for you.

Moral of the story: well... I'm pretty sure you're feeling it very deeply!