The Coolest Chemistry EE?

bescherelle

Hey guys. I wanted to do something in Chemistry. I know I dont want to do something research based. More of experimental base. Tho i dont know which ones are the most interesting/ most challenging/ the coolest topic. I have all the lab resources available because my aunt works in a lab. (did her phd in chem). I also wanted to do something that universities might like because i was plannin on doin a major in chem and a minor in bio. so yea maybe somethin in biochem? or just chem? hear are some of my ideas.

The affect of a plant (i.e. algae) on the pH level in water

"The effects of sugar-free chewing gum on the pH in the mouth after a meal" is better than "Acid-base chemistry"

Does the plastic from plastic bottles seep into the water and contaminate it?

Does brushing your teeth affect the pH in your mouth after eating?

How does pH level affect the rate at which water freezes?.

Spectrophotometric determination of trace amounts of lead in drinking water" is better than "Water analysis".

If anyone can think of a biochem idea that isnt too complex helpin me out is much appreciated. The above posted are some that i think are interesting but not sure which one i can get the most out of/use my resources to the greatest extent. So yea. Thanks in advance guys. bye

I have all the lab resources available because my aunt works in a lab. (did her phd in chem).

I wanted to do my EE in Biology but my teacher went to an IB workshop and one of the EE moderators told her that in Biology EE the student can't use any resources or equipment from anywhere out of the school or the student will have a low grade on their EE....soo i think the same applies to all sciences!!

I thought i will tell you this because you are planning to use your aunts resources which are not school resources!!

This is what my Biology teacher said so im not really sure....soo did anyone else hear of this?!

I wanted to do my EE in Biology but my teacher went to an IB workshop and one of the EE moderators told her that in Biology EE the student can't use any resources or equipment from anywhere out of the school or the student will have a low grade on their EE....soo i think the same applies to all sciences!!

I thought i will tell you this because you are planning to use your aunts resources which are not school resources!!

This is what my Biology teacher said so im not really sure....soo did anyone else hear of this?!

ok lol good point. tho if u really think about it whats the difference between a private school offering ib and a public school offerin ib. most likely the private schools have better resources. so it really isnt fair if the type of resources a student has just because their parents are rich or w/e. can someone backup what he said and prove or disprove the use of equipment outside of school? thx

Hey guys. I wanted to do something in Chemistry. I know I dont want to do something research based. More of experimental base. Tho i dont know which ones are the most interesting/ most challenging/ the coolest topic. I have all the lab resources available because my aunt works in a lab. (did her phd in chem). I also wanted to do something that universities might like because i was plannin on doin a major in chem and a minor in bio. so yea maybe somethin in biochem? or just chem? hear are some of my ideas.

If anyone can think of a biochem idea that isnt too complex helpin me out is much appreciated. The above posted are some that i think are interesting but not sure which one i can get the most out of/use my resources to the greatest extent. So yea. Thanks in advance guys. bye

To be honest, I would strongly AVOID a biochem essay, mainly because they only mark it as one category (eg if you submit a biochem essay as a chemistry essay, they will only mark it in comparison to the chemistry essay), and therefore i think you should stick (as best as you can) to one subject area for your EE. Also, there are a few different essay topics for bio and chem here: http://turnerfentonib.com/docs/ee/EE_Guide_NEW.pdf

if you have any other questions, feel free to ask away :)

Like IBSquared had said - avoid any topics that seem to be in the middle of two subject areas, such as Chemistry and Biology. The problem with it, is that you have to submit your EE in a specific subject area, so if you write a biochem essay, send it labelled as Biology, but when the examiner reads it - he/she may think that it's more of a Chemistry essay - and you'll lose valuable points on it. So the lesson is: focus strictly on one subject area. In my year, we have a kid who wants to do something in astronomy/astrophysics, but the instructor told him repeatedly to focus it strictly on the physics of it, and not go pass the basics of astronomy.

Guest Marina

Hey guys,

I am writing my EE in chemistry and it is related to Stereochemistry. I did racemate solution, enzimatic hydrolisis, polarisation and GL cromatography... Can anyone help with the topic?

Thank you soooo much

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's really ok to use resources outside of school. This is because a lot school labs are very limited even though most IB qualified school would have to have most of the facilities. But yeah, focus on one subject because one of my friend did an ee on bio but talked more about the chemistry and the reaction and he had to redo it since he was lucky it was his first draft. trust me it would be more troublesome.. and to advise you, don't choose chem ee T_T, it screwed me up..

• 8 months later...

hey............yeah......i would just like to say that I'm from a city that is slightly on the smaller side and my school is pathetic.....in fact, supposedly they lied about stuff to get the IB programme because otherwise they wouldnt have made it..........anyways, it has absolutely no resources and basically told me if im doing a chem EE I have to find my own equipment if i need anything more than a couple of beakers and a hot plate.........so yeah....also, I was wondering, how complex do experimental chem EEs have to be...because I read on Turner Fenton's IB site that often simple experimental ones do better than complex research ones.......and so for mine I was hoping to do a relatively simple experiment and then explain and expand on it using more complex research, but I didn't know if that was ok.

No, but in the EE guide, it says univ or external labs are allowed as long as the supervisor writes to explain his/her role and extent of guidance provided. I'll get back to you soon on whether that's true or not though... if I fail, I guess what you say will be right.

It is ok to do a biochem EE. You just need to skew it to chemistry. For example, if it's on enzymes, talk about catalysts, activation energy, mechanism of reaction and such, not on the biological function of enzymes. Of course, your EE will go into at least a little of biology, but hey, isn't there an option in chemistry called biochemistry? Food science is also part of biochemistry!

It is ok to do a biochem EE. You just need to skew it to chemistry. For example, if it's on enzymes, talk about catalysts, activation energy, mechanism of reaction and such, not on the biological function of enzymes. Of course, your EE will go into at least a little of biology, but hey, isn't there an option in chemistry called biochemistry? Food science is also part of biochemistry!

This is exactly what gets people in trouble though :) The sciences overlap of course, but you cannot even have a biochem title.

Here is one for example: How does the rate of cellular respiration effect the luciferase-luciferin reaction in vampire squid.

right away, you have involved two large topics in both bio and chem: cellular respiration and eight ATP requirement to allow the reaction of Luciferase. I can tell you right now that most biologist, despite their full on view of many different things, wont know much about this reaction.

The problem I have, or that I see, is people trying to skew the title. This is setting yourself up for an elevated amount of work, and constant digging away from the concept of chem, if you were to call the above topic biology. So you are going to need to write from an explainable perspective of the organism, without talking about too much of the reaction. As you can see, extremely hard. I would highly suggest not to create more work, on an already difficult subject in EE, and stick to a strictly bio or chem topic. Here is the top topic refined to go in either direction the right way:

Bio: How do different concentrations of salinity and volume of water effect the intensity of light given off by the vampire squid in a standard stress-response?

Chem: How does the dissolved oxygen effect the rate of successive luminance in vampire squid?

p.s. The topics above are really unsatisfactory. I right away saw problems with measuring them, quantifying data, having qualitative data and performing them correctly by science standards.

hope this helped :):)

This is exactly what gets people in trouble though :( The sciences overlap of course, but you cannot even have a biochem title.

Here is one for example: How does the rate of cellular respiration effect the luciferase-luciferin reaction in vampire squid.

right away, you have involved two large topics in both bio and chem: cellular respiration and eight ATP requirement to allow the reaction of Luciferase. I can tell you right now that most biologist, despite their full on view of many different things, wont know much about this reaction.

The problem I have, or that I see, is people trying to skew the title. This is setting yourself up for an elevated amount of work, and constant digging away from the concept of chem, if you were to call the above topic biology. So you are going to need to write from an explainable perspective of the organism, without talking about too much of the reaction. As you can see, extremely hard. I would highly suggest not to create more work, on an already difficult subject in EE, and stick to a strictly bio or chem topic. Here is the top topic refined to go in either direction the right way:

Bio: How do different concentrations of salinity and volume of water effect the intensity of light given off by the vampire squid in a standard stress-response?

Chem: How does the dissolved oxygen effect the rate of successive luminance in vampire squid?

p.s. The topics above are really unsatisfactory. I right away saw problems with measuring them, quantifying data, having qualitative data and performing them correctly by science standards.

hope this helped :):blink:

What he said really makes sense :P

Well, I did my EE on vitamin C, so thats a pretty biochem area. Got a 27/36 for the draft, and will probably be predicted A by the end of it. So it is possible if you work really hard :mike:

• 11 years later...
On 7/15/2008 at 7:43 PM, Guest Marina said:

Hey guys,

I am writing my EE in chemistry and it is related to Stereochemistry. I did racemate solution, enzimatic hydrolisis, polarisation and GL cromatography... Can anyone help with the topic?

Thank you soooo much

hello do u mind sending me ur previous EE? i am currently doing mine  in chemistry too and would love ur help.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/10/2008 at 4:24 AM, bescherelle said:

The affect of a plant (i.e. algae) on the pH level in water

"The effects of sugar-free chewing gum on the pH in the mouth after a meal" is better than "Acid-base chemistry"

Does the plastic from plastic bottles seep into the water and contaminate it?

Does brushing your teeth affect the pH in your mouth after eating?

How does pH level affect the rate at which water freezes?.

Spectrophotometric determination of trace amounts of lead in drinking water" is better than "Water analysis".

this is so gnereic